Any One know the New Cafe Eclectico?

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
There is a new restaurant that I have been hearing alot about in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo.

The name of the place is Cafe Eclectico and the address is:

Calle Jose Reyes #12
Btw. Arz. Nouel & Padre Billini
Colonial Zone, Santo Domingo

All Major Credit Cards Accepted

I received an email from a ex-pat who is living and running a business in the Colonial Zone. Here is what he had to say:

"A stunning new edition to the Colonial Zone dining scene is Cafe Eclectico. Opened by Jerry Gibbs of Philadelphia, PA. Already people are raving about the food and decor, along with the impeccable service.

This full-service restaurant that specializes in International and Dominican cuisine is open from Thursday through Sunday, from 6pm until Midnight. On Friday and Saturday nights the restaurant is open until 3am and serving sandwhiches, juices and dessert. Starting August 1, the restaurant will be open for lunch. When in Santo Domingo stop by and check out Cafe Eclectico."

Has anyone checked it out? Any opinion on the food, service and decor of the restaurant?

Many Thanks...I value your opinions.

skymall

Feb 11, 2003
Hi..

I know this place. I have eaten there a few times. It's a small place, only about 8-10 tables. The food is very good and the folks who work there are very nice. Last time I was there I had a white fish (can't remember exactly which fish) with a coconut-creole sauce and mofongo. It was magnificent. I was with a group of 8 and everyone enjoyed their dishes.

Highly recommended!

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
Thanks Much skymall...I will definitely check it out when I arrive on the 30th of Jan. Isn't mofongo a Puerto Rican dish of roasted plantains with lobster and seafood? I had it in Puerto Rico and I loved it and only found out later that it is one of the highest choloestrol meals you can eat!

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
I did check it out while in Santo Domingo and I like the decoration and the food was good. I had asked for a wine list and what kind of wines they had but it seemed to be very limited. I met the owner one day and spoke with him and recommended that they get a more extensive wine list with Cabernets, Pinot Noirs, Merlot, Chardonney and other wines. That gives us more choice to select the right wine with the food we are ordering. Other than that the atmosphere and employees were great, restaurant was spotlessly clean and service was good.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Cafe Eclectico

JHT said:
I did check it out while in Santo Domingo and I like the decoration and the food was good. I had asked for a wine list and what kind of wines they had but it seemed to be very limited. I met the owner one day and spoke with him and recommended that they get a more extensive wine list with Cabernets, Pinot Noirs, Merlot, Chardonney and other wines. That gives us more choice to select the right wine with the food we are ordering. Other than that the atmosphere and employees were great, restaurant was spotlessly clean and service was good.
has not bee open lately...and no one answeres phone...so probably gone the way of lots of restaurants... live just a block or two from it and it has been closed for some time,,,
bob

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Mfongo roots

JHT said:
Thanks Much skymall...I will definitely check it out when I arrive on the 30th of Jan. Isn't mofongo a Puerto Rican dish of roasted plantains with lobster and seafood? I had it in Puerto Rico and I loved it and only found out later that it is one of the highest choloestrol meals you can eat!

FYI and per my googel reearch. Mfongo is Carribbean, popular in both DR and PR. But also popular in ... Brazil! I suspect African roots.