Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farmacia's

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Farmacia's

Are the farmacia's licensed? Does anyone know what criteria is needed for these to be open? It is so easy to purchase just about any drug there.

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only are pharmaceuticals easy to get, but lots of farmacias also deliver. It's great when you are sick, and it's part of what makes this country so great, compared to other places.

Sorry if I don't know about licensing, etc but I would lead the fight to oppose any change in how things currently are here.

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity if the government decided to do that just how would you lead the charge? Start a coup?

I made the 300,000th post!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrf
    Are the farmacia's licensed? Does anyone know what criteria is needed for these to be open? It is so easy to purchase just about any drug there.
    I'm not exactly sure how the licensing requirements for the pharmaceutical industry (if any) work. I do know that a large portion of the drugs in the farmacias are imported from other countries, mainly Spain, Brazil and Australia.

Check out this link for a little more info on the topic, it might be of help to you.

IFPMA

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Rick, how long would any change in the laws like this stand up, if the poor Dominicans found out that they would now have to go see a doctor, spending the few pesos they have to first get a receta before they could then save up more money to go and buy the darned medicine in the first place. The pharmacist is usually the poor's "doctor" in the DR.

Ability to buy ANY medicine is a big enough obstacle to the poor. Adding cost to their plight won't hold up in the D.R., and people like me get to enjoy the freedom of bypassing the doctors.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GringoCArlos
    Not only are pharmaceuticals easy to get, but lots of farmacias also deliver. It's great when you are sick, and it's part of what makes this country so great, compared to other places..
    That's fine when you are using a gringo's level of education and experience to make your own medical decisions, but that is not the case for many of the locals. It is bad enough that there are many poorly trained doctors here but add to that pharmacy personnel (pharmacists?) dispensing medications with zero medical training. We make decisions on which anti-hypertensive or antibiotic to take based on our past experience with competant medical providers. Here they make the decision by which medicine the pharmacist recommends, has in stock and is cheapest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GringoCArlos
    Well Rick, how long would any change in the laws like this stand up, if the poor Dominicans found out that they would now have to go see a doctor, spending the few pesos they have to first get a receta before they could then save up more money to go and buy the darned medicine in the first place. The pharmacist is usually the poor's "doctor" in the DR.

Ability to buy ANY medicine is a big enough obstacle to the poor. Adding cost to their plight won't hold up in the D.R., and people like me get to enjoy the freedom of bypassing the doctors.
    A benefit is that you'd have people stop creating antibiotic resistant bacteria, less people ruining their bodies with steroids. You would maybe force them to buy drugs that were effective, not counterfeit, and not stored in blistering heat as to reduce or eliminate their efficacy and avoid selling people drugs they can't use or don't need and lower the risk of side-effects as well.

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

Meaning, you want the government to FORCE people to do for themselves what the government (whoever the he** that is) thinks is best for every individual????

This is why most governments are already f***d up. Why should I be responsible for whatever another person wants to do or not to do, and VICE VERSA?

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? For a minor, the only person who should be allowed to make their choices are their parents, not another set of laws or regulations, or yet another huacal.

No matter how ignorant, or stupid, or backwards people may think some other people are in this wonderful country, they should not assume to shoulder the reponsibility, or the right, to tell other people how or what to do in their lives , as long as it doesn't affect others.

(edited to soften my initial response)
    Last edited by GringoCArlos; 01-16-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So YOUR telling the people that want to regulate pharmacies (if they ever do that which they probably won't) they can't do that is not assuming the same thing, just because it is your cause? It must be uncomfortable talking out of both sides of one mouth like that.

Note overuse of antibiotics creates resistant strains in the population that affects the innocent who get sick and could have used antibiotics prior to abuse in volume. So it DOES affect others. As do loonies on steroids that act violently, people who steal to buy drugs they are addicted to etc....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coup? No...

No, for me I actually like the easy access-however, am a bit more learned.

No, would not want it regulated or necessarily governed-but was really a question regarding what or who would take responsibility of a "mistake".
    In a country where Vic's rub seems to be a cure-all. And yes, I do agree that the overuse of antibiotics leading to more and more problems-but I doubt that the typical Dominicano is going to have that problem. Since, as you say, they will be too busy thieving to find the cash.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast