Phone service in Cabarete Beach

Packman

Jan 16, 2006
What is the length of time to establish phone service, will be renting a condo
in Cabarete Beach.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Packman, if you don't need a wired phone, you can do it a lot quicker than 2 weeks.

Took me less than 10 minutes last week to get an Orange cellular phone. Simply asked them for their cheapest phone & told them I'd use prepaid cards (no service agreement). They took my passport, did all the paperwork themselves, put a card in the phone, tested it, I signed... done.

Was RD$1500 for a low end nokia phone including a RD$100 phone card. Their calling card rates are RD$0.13 per second (RD$7.8 per minute) not including about 28% in taxes. Best I can tell, after taxes, calling card rates run about US$0.33/minute. A little cheaper if calling Orange to Orange. http://www.orange.com.do/ No charge for incoming calls, I believe.

Their calling cards are available in RD$100/200/300 increments. Rates to U.S., Canada are same as in-country. Calls to Europe are higher.

Orange office in Cabarete is in center of town in the blue Palm Hills Real Estate building (across street from micro golf).

Verizon sells phones out of Janet's supermarket on the east side of town. Not certain what their rates are, but I understand a little higher.

Sorry for the long post... it's just that I did all the checking myself last week & it's fresh in my mind. Good luck!

Last edited:

Packman

Jan 16, 2006
phone for internet hookup

Thank-you for the info.

I am interested in watching U.S. markets over the internet, probably for several hours a day.

Centennial has a Wi-Fi high speed unlimited service available in Cabarete I have been told.

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
I used cenntenial 3G but just switched to verizon, supposedly both work in cabarete, but last year cenntenial supposedly work in juan dolio but did not.

dont forget to bring a 3G card from usa (the best: sierra wireless 555) or you will be charged 8000-12000 pesos and a 12-18 month minimum contract.

I'm looking also for a condo to rent in cabarete please where did you find yours? if you prefer PM me thanks

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Packman,
I'm not certain how speed is with Centennial. I had a Verizon card & service - and found it slower than dialup when in Cabarete. They have an accelerator (Venturi software, I think) that I couldn't get to work here. It did at times in Santiago - but the results would take me from 9-14k to only about 80k speeds, and those higher speeds were unreliable at best.

There are a few hotels/apts with high speed internet in Cabarete. Palm Beach Condos is one. Also, there are some free wi-fi hot spots. One at a little French restaurant in the middle of town in the little alley leading to the beach (it's probably the nicest looking set of shops in town, so you should be able to find it.

Also, I've been told on the west side of town one of the hotels (Kite Xcite??) has wi-fi at their bar on the beach. Personally, I'd find that location if I were you, camp out at their bar, enjoy the beach & your ticker :classic:

Good luck & pass along those hot stock tips!