stupid question

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Just kidding

principe, the only stupid question is one that isn't asked. With the exception of this one, of course.

Semana Santa is the week from Palm Sunday to Easter; this year April 9-16.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Schools will let out--except universities- the Friday before Palm Sunday (7th of April..beaches start to fill up that weekend and are totally full by Wednesday evening of Holy Week, which is the 12th of April. People start to go home on Saturday, but major rush is Sunday afternoon...Most schools --except universities--do not have classes the following Monday. (Have to recuperate after all :p:p:p:p)

HB :D:D:D

HB

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Just my two cents ....

Hey P:

If you're thinking of visiting during Semana Santa, perhaps because lots of locals on your last trip were pumping it up.....forget it.

My first few trips, all my local pals were telling me how great things are during semana Santa.

My experience - Oh. My. God.

First of all there is the overbooked plane, tons of luggage, and then the worst...it is supposedly Holy Week............but no ... I think that should be translated as ....................SPRING BREAK.

I swear to God, I avoid Florida during spring break, like the plague. If I knew how much drinking and driving, above and beyond the usual RD abuses, went on over Semana Santa, I would have stayed home.

LOUD. Dangerous. Too many people in my favorite places.........whine. whine.

In conclusion, I love visiting the DR. It is my favorite place to visit. And I will NEVER again visit during Semana Santa.

Thanks for the ride!

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Different Story

I hear you with all the difficulties visiting in semana santa, pero yo 'toy viniendo de otro 'lao. See thing is i havent been to the island in over 3yrs. And i have been trying to get my career in NYC going (finance), ive been wanting to go soooo badly but sure enough every time i plan a trip either something comes up, i got a new job or some other non sense in my young life prevents me. Thus, im arranging a 4-5 day stay leaving 12 (JetBlue) late nite so i dont miss work, and only use 2 vac days at the good ol bank. My family is from la capital but i havent been in the interior of the country since pheeewwwww God knows, so i dont mind renting a car and going for the drive. Then im catching the redeye Mon (como un perro) and make it to work that morning. Thanks for the advice though.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
samanasuenos said:
In conclusion, I love visiting the DR. It is my favorite place to visit. And I will NEVER again visit during Semana Santa.

Thanks for the ride!
It's not as bad as it used to be. Police intervention is a lot better than it used to be. 10/15 years ago, I would tell everyone to stay away from the DR during Semana Santa and the week following. The first because the beaches were crowded with animals from the big cities, camping on the beach and polluting it with excrements and garbage during that week and it took another 5 to 7 days to clean it up following Semana Santa. Now the police are out and things are a lot better. No more camping or boats. You still get some of these idiots with their big jeepetas and loud music driving through town but a lot less than before. Not the best time for a vacation but if you don't have a choice well........

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
People love it or hate it

We have found that the beach parties are more controled the last few years. We actually like the party atmosphere, and it's great to people watch. Love to watch the families with their beautiful young children relaxing & having a good time. Of course there is usually 1 or 2 drunken louts, but there never seems to be any major problems. The beaches are cleaned up early the next morning, so it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

Nicmac

Mar 30, 2006
semana sucia?

oh no, i'm in the same boat. A folklorista dominican friend told me to go in semana santa to see the festivities along the south coast..

I was considering traveling to Samana that week- but maybe i should head toward las Salinas or Barahona. It's my first time in DR.
Also- is it better to leave straight away from the airport- SDQ- on April 8th Sat, and then head back to SD thurs or friday, or do the oppposite, and stay in SD first, and the then travel.
help!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Actually, if you hit the road to Santo Domingo on Sunday before 1 pm, traffic is not worse than any long weekend.

Nicmac

Mar 30, 2006
oh great, thanks dolores. So you would suggest traveling on Saturday- April 8th, instead of waiting till mid week. Que bien.