Bringing A Dog To DR.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I want a Yellow Lab or German Shepherd for my family here in the DR. Would prefer to select him in the states and bring him here. Has anyone recently went through the experience of bringing a dog to the DR? Please share information. Am I required to be a resident of DR first? Cost to bring dog here? Any other info. appreciated.

Thanks.

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
I think you would have to pay a fee at the airport for the dog. I don't know how much, but I think its about us$200 dollars. He would have to get it's shocks. Get the dog a passport for he can travel to the states. Thats all I know so far.
***No you don't have to be a resident of DR.
good luck!!

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
Snuffy said:
I want a Yellow Lab or German Shepherd for my family here in the DR. Would prefer to select him in the states and bring him here. Has anyone recently went through the experience of bringing a dog to the DR? Please share information. Am I required to be a resident of DR first? Cost to bring dog here? Any other info. appreciated.

Thanks.
We brought our dog last year with no hassle at all. You have to make sure your dog has all the shots required for entry. We obtained this information from the Air Transat website. The cost to bring the dog was 100 dollars from Canada and 300RD to enter the country.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We brought in a puppy in August 2005. Eighty (80.00) USD for her to ride in the main cabin with us on AA. Three hundred (300.00) RD to DR customs for entry. They never checked my ID, just checked the puppy's shot record and clean vet cert. Nothing to it as long as you have all the necessary papers.

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
expatsooner said:
We brought in a puppy in August 2005. Eighty (80.00) USD for her to ride in the main cabin with us on AA. Three hundred (300.00) RD to DR customs for entry. They never checked my ID, just checked the puppy's shot record and clean vet cert. Nothing to it as long as you have all the necessary papers.

Correct!

it is USD$100.00 for the pet to ride in a Kennel in the cargo area in AA.
Plus RD$300.00 for the DR customs entry.

You will need a Health certificate, Rabies certificate, Parvo Virus Cetrificate, and his shot records.

Just be aware that you will need a Climate certification stating that your dog is used to cold/hot weather from your vet if the departing airport or any of the scheduled ports (not the destination) temperature is below 45F or above 85F. This certificate is for the Airline.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
expatsooner said:
Do the papers need to be in Spanish?

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
Nope, I had all my papers for my dog in english. No problem at all.

By the way: anybody with a swiss shephard here on the island or are they very rare?