Building pool house/studio

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
I need some advice.

I am building a ?guest? (Gardener/maid quarters) in the back or my property in the DR (Juan Dolio/Guavaberry area) in fact the structure is already up (side walls, inside division and concrete roof was already poured). The house is divided in three areas built length wise:

Total area 6 meters wide by 10 meters long

Pool bath/change room 6 x 3 (apprx.)
Laundry/Storage room 6 x 3
Maid quarters/studio 6 x 3

They are to install 3 toilets (2 in pool bath, 1 in the studio)
? ? ? 5 sinks ( 2 in pool bath, 1 in laundry room, 1 studio sink and 1 in the studio bath)
Run proper pipes to the septic area.
Wire the whole building.

The charge for that labor plumbing and electrical is ?un aproximado, pero no menos de? (aprox. But not less than) 40,000 to 45,000 RD$

Now the cementing of the house, inside, outside, ceilings, windows, installation of ceramic floor, kitchen counter (studio), ceramic on both bathrooms (Studio and Pool bath) I am not having a tub in either, just a shower stall, the charge is just labour without material 175,000 to 190,000 RD$

Once the electrical and plumbing is done, he estimates about 2 months to complete the ?finishing? of the house.

What is your take on that? Opinions please,,, questions about details are welcome. I need to know if this is reasonable. Keep in mind he is not a professional contractor, he is someone that someone for someone recommended and has guys working for him.

My husband has questions which I cannot answer since I was born in the DR but moved to Canada very young, before I was able to ever deal with any contractor. 190,000.00 RD$ is 6,792.69 CDN$ (exchange rate 0.035751) is that the kind of money a contractor would make in two months of work? Averaging 3,396.45 a month

Sorry about the long post? bottom line?are these amounts and the length of time to finish the job reasonable?

CB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
In a word.......NO!

PapaTony already told the "Big Banana" you need to concentrate on getting the 'guest house' finished then living there for a couple of months while you finish the 'big' house.
He'll help you find a plumber and electrician.....

I'd like to hear what any others in the area have to say tho'. There's lots of construction in the area and we know a few engineers who are doing a lot of work in Metro but you need to be here to supervise or you're going to spend way more than you need too. (BTW - the prices above seem way too cheap for 'quality' work even with you paying for the materials if you're talking of finishing both the guest house and the main house. Way too expensive if you're only talking about doing the guest house.)

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Following your advise!!!

We ONLY talked about the little house in the back. It was our plan to finish that house first and then take on the big house while we stay in the studio.

I was thinking that, way too expensive just for the guest house,,, but I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Thank MommC:classic:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Tell the Big Banana he needs to spend a day with PapaTony tracking down some workers and remember to bring your "rico Dominicano outfit" when YOU start to bargain with them!!

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
I don't get it

Now, MommC,,,,, I don?t get the ?rico Dominicano outfit? idea?..don?t you think they would ask for more money if they see the ?rico? outfit instead of the shorts Big Banana wears all the time?:ermm:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ok...so I goofed! I meant for you...you know the navy blue or beige poly suit with a starched white blouse ;). You gotta look like a Dominican who means business - not a gringa with $$$$!

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Other Prices

As I continue (Long distance) trying to get quotes for the work I need? I found someone who game me the following. The values are of course in RD$ and per meter.

Empa?ete Paredes (Cementing walls) 120.00
Empa?ete Techo (Cementing ceiling) 160.00
Fraguache (SP)? (??) 50.00
Fino (??) 100.00
Torta (????) 50.00
Piso (Floor) 160.00
Ceramica bano (Ceramic in bath) 200.00
Mocheta (Window border??) 60.00
Zabaleta (?????) 80.00
Teja ( Clay tile) 300.00

There are many names he said to me that I have no idea what they are, but I assume that all those names are different jobs to be done in order to finish a house.

Can you guys PLEEEEEASE take a look at them for me.

Thank you

P.S.:

Thank you to all of you who took your time and reply to my post.

CB