newspapers and golf in DR

Sandy Parr

Jan 19, 2006
I am a newspaper guy and wondering if there are any english papers being dist. in DR. Also I was curious if anyone has seen a free golf publication being circulated. i am intersted in re-locating and DR seems cool to me. please advise.

sandy parr

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Free golf publications, you mean something like "Executive Golfer" with listings on retirement communities? That's a big NO although not a bad idea...

Sandy Parr

Jan 19, 2006
thanks randy, i publish golf newspapers. i think i best take a scouting trip to DR. what about english language newspapers?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
As far as I know, not of the 'published on paper' kind. Besides the DR1, there is one good internet english paper. Great idea. Friends and customers of our are publishers on a neighboring island and they do really well with niche magazines.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I forgot to say something else - You may consider making such a newspaper multi-lingual. I don't know if there is enough English here to carry a niche publication.

Sandy Parr

Jan 19, 2006
Hi Chris--thanks for the input, the primary market would be the golf tourists. just depends on market. do you have friends that are in the publishing business? maybe this idea may be of interst. i got the golf covered.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
There is a free golf publication available, the Fedogolf newsletter, but it's not being distributed. It's just for pick up at the golf courses and the Fedogolf office. It's in Spanish and just relays the results of the various tournaments in the country. Unless you know someone doing well in tournaments and want to see their picture in a publication it's of no use at all. :tired:

Bok

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BOK!: "...It's of no use at all." Tsk, tsk, tsk....of course it is--for those that publish it..and for the caddies that use it to ..........:p

And for those with low self esteem that look at their pictures in it....

:D:D:D

Golf, the only four letter word left....

HB :D:D

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
An english-only golf magazine/newspaper wouldn't cut it in DR. Nor would an english-only newspaper. Various tourist areas put out their own little tourist booklets in english - - POP and Samana. These are guides supported by ad revenue from local resorts, shops, bars, eateries, etc.

For me a big question would be - - do english-speaking tourists actually travel to the DR to play golf? Or is playing golf just an extra-added - - i.e. let's got for the sun and the beach and relaxation . . and, oh look, we can play some golf too.

I'm not a big golfer but I'm also wondering if there are really enough world-class golf courses in DR to support a golf-centered pub. Are there any major tourneys in DR? Any ex-tour pros? I could see a website that sorts/organizes/describes golf sites in the DR - - with a booking business attached.

A golf-only pub might work if you broadened it a bit to something like golf in the Caribeann?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The federations new website is soon in 2 languages.
www.golfdominicano.com

I guess the issue is more where you would distribute this and how you find the target group, and also who would pay the costs ( i.e customer or golf-course ...the latter will not )...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sandy Parr said:
Hi Chris--thanks for the input, the primary market would be the golf tourists. just depends on market. do you have friends that are in the publishing business? maybe this idea may be of interst. i got the golf covered.

Yes, customers who became friends on another island - very successful 'island style' and 'real-estate' high class glossy magazines. Advertising driven, so no cost at the distribution points. We've spoken about doing something here, but I do not have the time. I do know their business well as we do all their high level IT. Anytime you want to chat about this, let's do it via pm.

Chuipi

Jan 20, 2006
SamGompers said:
An english-only golf magazine/newspaper wouldn't cut it in DR. Nor would an english-only newspaper. Various tourist areas put out their own little tourist booklets in english - - POP and Samana. These are guides supported by ad revenue from local resorts, shops, bars, eateries, etc.

For me a big question would be - - do english-speaking tourists actually travel to the DR to play golf? Or is playing golf just an extra-added - - i.e. let's got for the sun and the beach and relaxation . . and, oh look, we can play some golf too.

I'm not a big golfer but I'm also wondering if there are really enough world-class golf courses in DR to support a golf-centered pub. Are there any major tourneys in DR? Any ex-tour pros? I could see a website that sorts/organizes/describes golf sites in the DR - - with a booking business attached.

A golf-only pub might work if you broadened it a bit to something like golf in the Caribeann?

A little orientation to your big questions...English speaking tourist go over DR to play golf all over the year. In fact, Bill CLinton visits Punta Cana every year to play golf. There are Punta Cana Golf Club (www.puntacana.com) its about 18 you know what..(cause im not a golfer) and also you can go over La Romana to Casa de Campo (www.casadecampo.com.do). These are very distinguised resorts with excellent golf courses. Many famous people visit our country just for golf. Please enjoy! Ciao.... Chuipi

Sandy Parr

Jan 19, 2006
wow thats alot of input --thanks. Golf is an interesting passtime. most people who play and call themselves golfers have a passion for the game that leads them to get more information and to share that information with others. They love to tell their stories. you can ask just about anyone that plays golf what their most memorable golf shot was and you will get quite a story. its not about the rich and famous--its about golf. The game. the passion for it. unless you play its hard to get your head around the game. thanks again----Sandy Parr