Does mail from USA to DR get there and delivered ?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
According to The Dominican Govt the mail system there has improved drastically..so has anyone put it to the test..have regular letters/postcards from the USA to Dr made it?and vice versa?
and how long did it take

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
During Leonel's first term as president, he worked to improve postal service and it got much, much better. To the point where the courier services like EPS amd Business Mail didn't think they would survive. But then Hippo took office and the postal service rapidly went downhill. If he is focused on it again, it could very well be improving.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Sent a letter to my Wife to test that before I came here to live last June. Funny, it arrived here . In only 2 weeks but at the apartment 3 doors down. Thats pretty close we figured. Luckily the lady there knew her and brought it to her. On the Flip side we ordered a dress on Ebay and decided to test the waters. Ordered Nov 23rd. Shipped registered mail . 10-12 Days expected . Not here yet. BTW It is now January 20th. We are loosing hope.

You have a better shot at it if you rent a box in POP at the post office there I suppose . Box rental is about 1500 pesos Annual ............ If it is important documents or goods better to go with relatives visiting and wait or use Fedex, EMS or UPS . Basically it isnt worth the effort. Use Email and Scanners and couriers

My 2 pesos worth

brit

Jun 28, 2005
6 months later and I am still waiting for a package to be delivered from the US. It is a hotel address, so that is not the reason and it was not sitting at the post office, last time it was checked.
I advise people not to rely on the postal system.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
I also mailed a card (no money inside) from Canada to a hotel in POP on November 17, 2005 and the person has still not received it and may never.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
"may" never" Nope. "will" never? Yup. They opened it to see if there was more than a card already.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
ricktoronto,

That's exactly what I told my friend, someone else is enjoying those pictures. HE,HE.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
What about the other way around??

We mailed a few post cards while in Cabarete, to Canada, will they be delivered or what or are they too lost in the shuffle. It would be obvious there is not money inside a postcard??
Just curious

Thanks

Jan 21, 2006
In Santiago I get mail delivery on a weekly basis. Just thrown in my yard. Catalogs, Letters, companies that have this as my actual address and despite my mailing address being in the States they choose to mail it to me here.

lbraska

Sep 18, 2005
I mailed 12 postcard from my hotel in Cabarete November 7th. They started arriving in the United States just before Christmas and the last one I heard about arrived January 13. 10 out of the 12 have been reported received.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Outgoing Mail

megamania said:
We mailed a few post cards while in Cabarete, to Canada, will they be delivered or what or are they too lost in the shuffle. It would be obvious there is not money inside a postcard??
Just curious

Thanks

GOOD EXPERIENCE FROM LAS GALERAS
My best luck with outgoing was to buy stamps and mail things from a special agency (name escapes me) that had a pickup box in Las Galeras, Samana peninsula. I understand they ship out from POP on a regular basis, to Europe and to the USA and have a great reputation for being timely. a postcard made it to France in 4 days and in 3 to the USA. (I was in the Italian interenet cafe when I saw the box. I can't remember any names.)

I never sent out a thing with the regular mail, because locals warned me not to. And I was told that incoming was even worse.

The best advice is to check with locals right where you live/visit and follow their advice. And expect horrible results. That way, when something does make it through, you will have another reason to drink More. Brugal.

Ciao!

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
I sent Christmas Cards to friends in the Dominican Republic and they never got them. So...I have taken to sending personal singing Holiday and Birthday greetings via email to my friends in the DR. Now I know that they do get those...Some of my friends have taken to getting a P.O. Box at the post office in Miami, FL and then have friends bring over the mail when they come down for a weekend or a trip. It sometimes takes a month or two before they get their mail but they do get it this way.