What's the current per kwh residential rate?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
What's the current per kilowatt hour (kwh) rate being charged by the power company for residential use?

And does it differ significantly between, say, Santo Domingo, Santiago and the North Coast?

I'm trying to do some calculations for energy savings among various choices for the Green Team blog, and can't seem to find any current rate figures to use.

Thanks!

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Another good reason not to live in Gringoville.
I live in Gaspar Hernandez and I pay 2.87 rd/kwh

Fixed Charge 12.62 RD / Month

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
jojo2130 said:
Another good reason not to live in Gringoville.
I live in Gaspar Hernandez and I pay 2.87 rd/kwh

Fixed Charge 12.62 RD / Month

For all villages and rural areas around Las Lomas de Azua, including my place, the fixed rate is 0.00 rd$/kwh. The tab is picked up by 'Plan Social de la Presidencia'.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:
For all villages and rural areas around Las Lomas de Azua, including my place, the fixed rate is 0.00 rd$/kwh. The tab is picked up by 'Plan Social de la Presidencia'.
Would you mind if I run a wire over to your place?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocky said:
Would you mind if I run a wire over to your place?

Be my guest! However, we only get electricity when there's a surplus from paying towns and regions. By the way, do you know what's the mean loss of energy nationwide through distribution transmission lines, due mostly to obsolescence and inadequate maintenance? 35%.

-

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
In the east part of Santo Domingo, with CDEEste (used to be AES), the base charge I pay is RD$100.03, plus RD$2.87 per kwhr for the first 200, then $4.33 for the next 100 kwhr, then $6.44 per kwhr after that. (and we have luz 99% of the time).

We have never used more than 400 kwhr, so I don't know if there are higher rates after that point. (cost of 400 kwhr = approx RD$1751 )

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
All this seems to confirm that the electric company is omnipotent, does what it wants, charges what it wants, when it wants, to whom it wants.
You have a big job ahead of you, Keith.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rocky said:
All this seems to confirm that the electric company is omnipotent, does what it wants, charges what it wants, when it wants, to whom it wants.

According to the Superintendent of Electricity, the distribution companies have "by mistake" overcharged clients at the tune of RD$249.1 million during the past 17 months.

Today's EL CARIBE On Line

-

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:
According to the Superintendent of Electricity, the distribution companies have "by mistake" overcharged clients at the tune of RD$249.1 million during the past 17 months.

Today's EL CARIBE On Line

-
I'm still waiting for somebody to undercharge me, "by mistake".
It's only been 15 years, so I still have high hopes....

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Rocky said:
Yeah, I know, but somebody's got to do it! ;) At least this gives me something to work with. The authorities aren't very good about responding top emails, particularly ones asking for data (you know -- can't have transparency and accountability! No no!)

I'll use "illustrative examples" instead of a clearly meaningless "national average." I'm trying to work up some examples, including some graphics, showing where people wanting energy savings (whether for economic or environment reasons or both) can best concentrate their efforts. I have some figures for savings expressed in kilowatt-hours per year, but I wanted to put a dollar or peso face on that...

Thanks, Marco, GringoCarlos, jojo, Mirador. This once again proves what a valuable resource DR1 can be (as if I needed any confirmation of that!)

Best Regards,
Keith

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Rat Basstard Electricity Company!!

I just received my bill for January. Everything going UPPP.

Base charge is now RD$108.65.
1st 200 Kwhr at RD$ 3.12
Next 100 Kwhr at RD$ 4.71
Above that - RD$ 7.000 per kwhr.

And the newspapers aren't much better, trying to report that the EDE's owe consumers close to US$ 1 billion (BILLION) in refunds for blackouts. Guess that sold a few papers in the barrios.

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Hi All,

Here in La Romana with Ede-este base charge RD$ 108.65, for the first 200 kw RD$ 3.12, next 100 kw RD$ 4.71 and next 399 RD$ 7.00, if you use 700 kw/month or more there is no scale , you just pay RD$ 8.57 for every kw used. So the bill for 699 kw is (excl. base charge) RD$ 3888.00 and a bill for 700 kw is RD$ 5999.00 (excl. base charge). I say a very expensive 1 kw at RD$ 2111.00, especially when one has a meter like ours where the readout has to be multipied by 10, and funny, it is always in their favour :(

CB

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hi all. Was about to complete and post my blog entry on comparative energy end-use in the home, when I realized that I do not have current per kwh rates for Santiago, a rather important omission!

So, any of our Santigo DR1ers care to share what per kwh rate they're getting charged these days? Pretty please?

Thanks in advance!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Although not a residential but a commercial rate, at our hotel in Las Galeras we pay $11.75rd per kw. This is 3 times more than what we pay at our home in Florida (about $.11us per kw). Perhaps someone who lives here in LG and pays a residential rate can add their input. We've known from the beginning when Luz y Fuerza provided us with power in 1999 that we were/are paying some of the highest rates in the country for electric 24/7 (but it's still cheaper than using a generator/s).

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
Just got the bill for Jan. -
Here in Cabarete we pay RD$108.65 fixed charge
and RD$8.57/kwh - about 25 cents kwh in US $$
at home in florida about 1/2 that rate.:pirate:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I spoke to one of our waitresses about this and she's paying $11.55rd per kilo for a residential account here in Las Galeras. And when I mentioned this to Nicole, she said we all pay the same except that our charge ($11.75rd) is a little higher as we use more than 1,000kw per month on average. We've also been told it's going up (again) with next month's bill.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
CloggieBoots said:
Hi All,

Here in La Romana with Ede-este base charge RD$ 108.65, for the first 200 kw RD$ 3.12, next 100 kw RD$ 4.71 and next 399 RD$ 7.00, if you use 700 kw/month or more there is no scale , you just pay RD$ 8.57 for every kw used. So the bill for 699 kw is (excl. base charge) RD$ 3888.00 and a bill for 700 kw is RD$ 5999.00 (excl. base charge). I say a very expensive 1 kw at RD$ 2111.00, especially when one has a meter like ours where the readout has to be multipied by 10, and funny, it is always in their favour :(

CB

hi i know this like asking how longs a peice of string...but

what amount of kilowatts an hour are people using per mth . ill make it a bit easier ie the house has a couple of fans , 3 bedrooms, fridge ect and typical (whatever that is???) light useage for 2-3 people. if anyone matches this ..??????kilowatts hour useage and $$$$$ you pay monthly total bill???? just want to get a rough idea
thanks