calling North America

alyssas

Dec 31, 2005
I was just wondering what the best way is to call Canada or the U.S. from the DR. I know it doesn't have the variety od calling cards we do. Do any of you call North America on a regular basis from the DR? If you could let me know, I'm moving soon and I just want to know how to keep in touch with my family and friends.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Look up a thread with AZB's name, he mentions how to call a regular number from your computer. It's free to the US and a few pennies to Canada

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
You asked the "best way", not necessarly the cheapest. Get a prepaid cell phone from any of the companies here,i.e. Orange, Vorizon or Centennial.

There is no charge to you for incoming calls.
You'll budget your phone time by the amount of cards you buy.
You can be reached by people back home in case of emergency.

All the companies have specials for rebuilt phones.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you have a US address you can use Vonage system. It costs about $25 a month and you usually can find a speical that will include free hook up. You then have unlimited calls to anywhere in the US, Canada and PR. We used this the last time in the DR and had over 800 minutes on the phone (thanks to Windeguy) and no fee above the $25 month fee. It does require high speed interenet access.
As I am typing this we are in Aurba and Pat (wife unit) is talking to her Mom in Ohio on the system.

www.vonage.com Check it out

Bob K

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
You forgot to tell him that calling to USA, Canada and Puerto Rico has the same price of your plan for local calls.

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
there's also a free internet service called SKYPE. if both parties have internet and a microphone you can talk for free all you want! and if you have a camera, even better!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
amandalivoti said:
there's also a free internet service called SKYPE. if both parties have internet and a microphone you can talk for free all you want! and if you have a camera, even better!

Both need to have the Skype program, also.

Btw, the new version 2.0 of Skype has good video, much better than Net Meeting that I used to use.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Calling the US from DR

I've started using Skype and am very pleased with it.
Computer-to-computer calls are free.
Voice quality far exceeds regular phone service.
By depositing $10 US via PayPal or credit card, you can call land line phones in the US for about 2.3 cents/min.
You can even get local phone numbers in the US which allow incoming calls at local rates. This service includes voice mail. Check the web site for cost as I don't need this feature.
I believe calls to Canada cost the same.