Sony Movica Camera Repair

Caribee

Mar 22, 2003
I purchased a new Sony Movica MVC-CD500 camera in Florida just a few days over one year ago and packed it into my ocean shipping container for transport to DR. Today, I finally located it and unpacked it for the first time and find that it is defective. It will not get past "Disc Error" C:13:01 message and direct chat with Sony Internet site confirms that it is defective.
My one year warranty is expired so my only alternative is to pay to have it repaired. Does anyone know of a good camera shop which may be able to repair it? There is no Sony service rep in DR according to Sony web site. With accessories, this is about $800 worth of camera....so it's definitely worth repairing. POP, Santiago or Capital would be most convenient for me.
Thanks for any suggestions.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
There is no one here in Santo Domingo that I would recommend you use for camera (or lens, if you have slr) repair of any camera that you value enough to be distraught about it being broken. (lived here 9 years, photography is my hobby)

I do have a name of a guy I've used for some point and click film cameras that I've had fixed here in the capital if you're interested. I wasn't going to be upset if he couldn't fix them or messed them up more (kids can be hard on cameras) and he was able to fix 2 of 3. I don't know if he does digital. Let me know if you want his name.

Even sending it out for repairs off island is a little iffy due to chance of customs "inspections" although if you use a courier it is usually OK. I usually wait and take my things with me or send back with a friend and then pick it up from my relatives house that I have it sent to after repair or cleaning.

I don't know about the other areas of the island.

I have several different cameras and I do have one of the Sony Mavicas you are talking about. Great to have your files written directly to cd, instant backup after you load them to your computer and makes it easy to archive your images. Very good model for general photography but very frustrating for fast paced action shots.

Hope you are able to get this fixed so you can start capturing images soon.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mr C, a professional photographer, uses Kemil's Camera, on the second floor of Plaza Castilla (above Trio Cafe), on Lincoln esq. Lope de Vega, in Santo Domingo. He recently repaired my Nikon Coolpix 4600.

Note that the address in the English link is out of date, but the new address is on the home page in Spanish.

Caribee

Mar 22, 2003
Thanks so much everyone for the quick reply. I will certainly try out "Kemils Camera" next trip to the Capital. Hopefully, it will be relatively easy to fix ...but if he screws it up.....nothing much really lost as it is useless as it is now and I'm not planning a trip back to the US anytime soon.