Grandma dying...Wants to be buried in DR

pmrosario

Jan 21, 2006
Hi guys...new to this site. Found it while looking for information on what to do with my Abuelita. My abuelita is dying of cancer. She was born in DR in Puerto Plata. She has told me on many occasions that she would like to be buried in DR not here in New York. I have not be to DR in over 25 years and do not know the process or what I have to do. Please help me!! Many thanks.
Nieta in desperate need!!:cry:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Try contacting:

Funeraria Blas Blas
Av 27 de Febrero 61
Puerto Plata
(809) 261-5542

They seem to be very busy with the locals in Puerto Plata. Maybe they can help.

Jan 5, 2006
Sorry to hear about your grandma.

You can contact a local funeral home in New York and they'll handle everything on the US side (transport to airport, flight, paperwork). You'll then need the flight number, arrival date, and time for the body, so that you can contact the funeral home in DR. The funeral home in DR will handle everything on the DR side. (transport, burial, etc)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Just so that you are aware, Funeraria Blas Blas that I referenced above runs an advertisement in the local Puerto Plata newspaper. The price they advertise to the locals is 7,000 pesos which includes prep of the deceased, viewing, refreshments, transportation to the cemetary and interment. Granted they will have additional charge for picking up at the airport, but prep and casket are already take care of. Just so you are aware so they don't quote you New York prices or NY funeral home overcharge you for arrangements at this end.

Last edited:

Luperonsailor

May 1, 2005
First reassure you granny that her wish will be carried out. More important that she knows, than what you do. If you have not been in DR for 25 years, keep grandma close with the family, everyone she knew here isn't here anymore. A little white lie goes forever. It is the first thing I would do. Her wishes,wants and beliefs are more important than the doing. Then always try to keep your word!

Erin24

Jan 9, 2006
too bad

Too bad about your grandma...
I work at a funeral home in Canada, and Hipocrito Mejia is right, you need to contact a funeral home in NY to discuss the options, and find out the procedure. sorry again

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am sorry to hear about your Grandma. Mis m?s sinceros condolencias.

To resolve your problem I suggest that you contact Funeraria Blandino: 809 724 8988

They are the largest in the nation and handle these cases all the time. It is probable that your grandmother will arrive at the Santiago airport, just because of the frequency of flights versus Puetro Plata. Therefore Blandino can help you out a lot.

I just talked to them, you need to have on hand:
1) All the papers fron NY --Death Certificate with multiple copies.
2) Proof of citizenship--her old passport will do, I am sure.
3) Blandino will pick up the person at Santiago and transfer to Funeraria Abelardo in Puerto Plata. There they will prepare the chapel and the viewing.
4) Transfer to Cemetary in Puerto Plata.
Note: You will have to have someone either:
1) Go to the cemetary and rent a space or
2) Purchase a space--This can be done before hand

The cost for the Blandino service is RD$17,200

I hope this helps you during this difficult time.

HB

pmrosario

Jan 21, 2006
Hey everyone!!!
Thank you very much for the great advise. I will start investigating the information that was posted. And thank you for the advise about keeping my grandmother's wishes, which I will do my best to do. Thank you again!:classic: :classic:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
pmrosario said:
Hey everyone!!!
Thank you very much for the great advise. I will start investigating the information that was posted. And thank you for the advise about keeping my grandmother's wishes, which I will do my best to do. Thank you again!:classic: :classic:
I will pray tonight for a miracle recovery for your g-ma.
God is our light.