Whale Shark in Sosua.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For those of you would like to dive with a whale shark, there's an 18 footer in Sosua right now, and hopefully he will stick around for awhile, as they have been known to do.
The divers from North Coast Dive shop told me that he was super friendly and they saw 6 dolphins as well.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Rocky said:
For those of you would like to dive with a whale shark, there's an 18 footer in Sosua right now, and hopefully he will stick around for awhile, as they have been known to do.
The divers from North Coast Dive shop told me that he was super friendly and they saw 6 dolphins as well.

To see a beautiful sight as the whale shark... young or old is truly a memorable experience..... nonetheless to have the opportunity to swim with them is incredible.

BTW. Does this species come often this time a year... or just uncommon?

whale shark

mc5an4.jpg

They’re the world’s biggest fish, and so mild mannered tourists travel the world over to snorkel with them. But they usually inhabit oceanic waters far from shore, hence little is known about them.

I wish I could be there to snorkel with one.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
easygoin said:
BTW. Does this species come often this time a year... or just uncommon?
I'm hoping that some of the local divers can answer your question.
I do know that we have had them in the bay and surrounding areas, several times in the past.
There was a big one that stayed 6 to 8 weeks, and I remember another that stayed for 2.
Jacques Cousteau himself, in all of his years studying marine life, only managed to see them twice, so it is a very special event to see, or even better, swim with one.
They are very friendly, and the divers who were out with him yesterday, said that even when they were leaving, the Whale Shark would follow them, looking for more attention.