advice on samana/santo domingo

ari

Jan 20, 2006
hello I'm dominican residing in Miami. I have been leaving in the US for over 18 years and it's difficult to keep up with the new places to go out in SD- This is why I need advice on a few things- :classic:

#1) I'm getting married in Santo Domingo and have lots of people coming from the US and from other countries. I want my guests to take with them a great impression about SD. What great restaurants do any of you recommend ? Hot Spots? great nightclubs with a decent crowd? shopping malls or stores? What areas do you recommend they visit? What bars/lounges?

#2) I will be getting married to a great man from colombia, who has never been to DR. We decided to do our wedding there because I have lots of family there and it's most convenient for us. Anyway, after the wedding we want to spend a few days in DR before we go on our real honeymoon outside of the DR- I was thinking for those days perhaps punta cana or samana- I think we're going to do samana- because I love that area.
What great hotels do you recommend for honeymooners? I think we may benefit from an all inclusive one---I have been to Las Terrenas and I loved it! What places to visit in samana? I was us to go there because I think it will be more quiet and more things to do (Nature wise) and there are beaches with less people.
Anyway, any advice would be very helpful, thanks!!:classic:

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Hello! Felicitaciones!

About #2, There are some lovely small-mid sized AIs near Samana city. Ilike that area even better than Las Terrenas, which you can visit as a day trip and for good french bread.

Stay near Samana city, check out their website for palces....I stayed at a lovely place in La Galera that I can not stop raving about ... Todo Blanco...and you would be close to PLAYA RINCON (isolated) as well as SALTA DE LIMON between Samana and Las Terrenas. And of course the usual whale watching in Samana.

TAKE HIM TO SAMANA!

IMO, Las Terrenas, while it does have better restaurants, much better, and better shopping than Samana city - is just too commercial for my tastes. I like how the locals and expats live and work side by side in Samana. Las Terrenas at times feels like a slightly classier Cabarete. I am just picky.

GOOD LUCK!

ari

Jan 20, 2006
thank you samanasuenos for your great advice, I will look for places near galeras or samana city.