La presencia ind?gena en Bogot?, Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I was doing my daily morning read of the Colombian newspaper, El Tiempo and there is a feature on the indigenous presence in Bogot? today many decades after colonization etc. One of the predominant indigenous groups is la tr?bu muisca. The traces of Bogot?'s indigenous roots are visible in the names of streets, towns, food and people’s last names etc. The name Bogot?, Colombia’s capital is indigenous. The name comes from the indigenous name Bacat?.

In brief the indigenous presence is noted in many facets in daily language use. Here are some of Colombia's indigenous words. Take note of the similarity or identical usage of words in the DR.

-arepa
-chicha (la cerveza de Am?rica)
-el guarapo (un fermento hecho con el caldo de las ca?as de az?car).
-el tomate
- el aj?
- la yuca y la papa, entre otros, son productos aut?ctonos.

-According to the article these were the first words to be adopted by the Spanish colonizers.

-Here are some other words:

canoa, tabaco, boh?o, caucho, coca, c?ndor, papa, can?bal, enaguas, guacamayo, tibur?n, hamaca, aguacate, butaca, guacharaca, arracacha, sancocho...

-very similar to the DR. The only words that are new to me are: 'guacharaca' and 'arracacha'.

Here are some last names of people heard in Bogot? that reveal their indigenous roots:

Aroca, Araque, Bocanegra, Chauta, Chiguasuque, Chisaba, Epiay?, Gantiva, Musus?, Neuque, Neuta, Nivia, Panqueba, Pirac?n, Piraquive, Quinche, Tiban?, Toquica

Here is the link. It’s a nice article.

http://eltiempo.terra.com.co

LDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.