English-style sports bars

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
A bit curious:

How many English-style sports bars are there in DR?

Are they mostly concentrated in Santo Domingo?

Thanks. Also, if you happen to know a website with a list of them, I'd be most appreciative.

Sep 19, 2005
would you classify the jaguars in that catergory?............I saw a few in my travels. Even some older ones and I saw two mgs from the early 70 s.

bob

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
laurapasinifan said:
would you classify the jaguars in that catergory?............I saw a few in my travels. Even some older ones and I saw two mgs from the early 70 s.

bob

Sports Bars, not Cars.

Stay well,
Amy

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
amy2761 said:
Sports Bars, not Cars.

Stay well,
Amy
That was pretty sharp, Amy.
I was so confused by that reply, I thought they were talking about the names of some English/British soccer/football teams.
To the OP,
If you mean English/British sports bars, I have never seen one anywhere in the country, but I'm not surprised.
What would they do when there's no soccer on?
Sosua probably has the greatest concentration of English speaking residents, and maybe even the highest percentage of Brits, of any town in the country, and it still would not be enough to support a Brit sports bar.
I'm sure that Eddy could tell you that he has to cater to all nationalities, and that the American sports probably draw the most clientel, amortized accross the year.
On that note, I defer to Eddy.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Rocky said:
That was pretty sharp, Amy.
I was so confused by that reply, I thought they were talking about the names of some English/British soccer/football teams.

Damn! Looks like it's wearing off - better go get my roots touched up at the salon tomorrow! ;) ;)

Stay well,
Amy

Sep 19, 2005
opps sorry......:nervous:

off by one little letter ........I couldnt help much before I thought , now I know I cant helpm at all.....good luck

bob

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
I mean, sports bars where one can watch English soccer/football.

Sosua, eh?

Is there a yellow pages site where I can look this up?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Estoy_Enarbolando

Jan 12, 2006
Don't know of any, sorry. I think there's an Irish pub in Cabarete.

If you want to wait about 3 years, my restaurant/sports bar should be open. I lived just outside of Staines when I was a teenager and I plan on making the bar in Cabarete more of an "Anglo-American Sports Pub" :)

But I'm sure you don't want to wait 3 years ;)

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
rellosk said:
What's the difference between an English sports bar and just a sports bar?

Actually none- at least I don't think so. I'm mostly interested in bars that have soccer/football on the TV. That's basically it.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Guilia's Cafe in Juan Dolio is an English Sports Bar.....altho' not an English PUB sports bar...
Also there is a NEW English PUB opening up soon in Juan Dolio. Whether it will be a sports bar or not I don't know at present....I guess time will tell!

Sep 19, 2005
so it is easier to find an ENGLISH SPORTS CAR than an english sports bar

I would follow the next english sports car you see and maybe it will take you to the english sports bar

on another note...I saw a bunch of soccer on the TV at Eddys Sports Bar in Sosua .....probably not ENGLISH soccer.....( i am sticking my neck out on that one huh??)

bob

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Cofresi

As far as I know, Chris & Mady's in Cofresi often pick up English & North American sporting events.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
so it is easier to find an ENGLISH SPORTS CAR than an english sports bar

I would follow the next english sports car you see and maybe it will take you to the english sports bar

on another note...I saw a bunch of soccer on the TV at Eddys Sports Bar in Sosua .....probably not ENGLISH soccer.....( i am sticking my neck out on that one huh??)

bob
And I'll cut it off. LOL. 80% of football (Soccer) games are English: Premier League, FA-Cup, Champ's League, Championship, League etc. 15% Bundesliga and 5% South American. (Have access to a lot more but I guess there are no South American fans in Sosua). My website is been rebuilt but you can get the fixtures at www.eddysportsbar.com

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
English Sports Bar vs Regular Sports Bar

rellosk said:
What's the difference between an English sports bar and just a sports bar?

Regular sports bar - cute young things dressed in low cut tops and
short shorts bring your beer and food with a warm smile on their face :cheeky:

English sports bar - toothless old ladies in dirty clothes plop your food and drink in front of you, no extra charge for the cigarette hanging out of their mouth spilling ashes on your fare :eek:

Can you drop me off at "Hooters" or "Mug n Jugs" on the way back from the beach??

NorthernSly

Feb 2, 2006
Eddy said:
And I'll cut it off. LOL. 80% of football (Soccer) games are English: Premier League, FA-Cup, Champ's League, Championship, League etc. 15% Bundesliga and 5% South American. (Have access to a lot more but I guess there are no South American fans in Sosua). My website is been rebuilt but you can get the fixtures at www.eddysportsbar.com

Is there anywhere in Playa Dorada to watch English games, or how easy is it to get from there to Sousa and Eddy's Sports Bar?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
NorthernSly said:
Is there anywhere in Playa Dorada to watch English games, or how easy is it to get from there to Sousa and Eddy's Sports Bar?
If the cablevision in POP is anything like Sosua, there will be more soccer games on than anybody could stand, but if you want to watch a specific game and it is not televised, you may have to seek out a sports bar, such as Eddy's.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Anny's bar in Plaza at Playa Dorada shows English football Premiereship games most sundays or evening kick off games . Im moving out soon and dont know just how im going to cope if i cant watch world cup footy - could be are year this year lol - mind you they say that at every tournament.

Also im sure Hemmingways will show most of Englands games if not all world cup games . Everytime i have been in the DR and England have played i have managed to see it.