Sailors Wanted

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
looking for a few sailors to sail on a 50' schooner, from Manzinillo to Porto Rico via (maybe) Haiti, Jamaca and the Cribe. Leaving in 2/3 weeks, lenght of trip ??? share expenses, interested, email for more details, amakhaya@hotmail.com
no exp. ness.
joe

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
dogstar said:
looking for a few sailors to sail on a 50' schooner, from Manzinillo to Porto Rico via (maybe) Haiti, Jamaca and the Cribe. Leaving in 2/3 weeks, lenght of trip ??? share expenses, interested, email for more details, amakhaya@hotmail.com
no exp. ness.
joe

I hope the captain reads charts better than the spelling in this post... :classic: Where do you sail to if you go to ?the Cribe?? I?m always up for sailing but I like to know where landfall is...

G

gary short

Chris said:
I hope the captain reads charts better than the spelling in this post... :classic: Where do you sail to if you go to ?the Cribe?? I?m always up for sailing but I like to know where landfall is...
Are'nt you the guy that hit the D.R. when you were gunning for Ireland.

G

gary short

Chris said:
Are'nt you the guy that sailed to D.R. ,when you were gunnin for Ireland.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
gary short said:
Are'nt you the guy that sailed to D.R. ,when you were gunnin for Ireland.

I?m not a guy, we?ve never HIT the DR or any other dock, LOL, and I?ve never gunned for Ireland - ?tis too cold there :classic:
But yes, we?ve sailed these waters frequently - there are a few others as well who sailed, Ken on this board, PJT, TexasBill and more...

I?m also not the grammar and spelling police - but a sailing thread always makes me want to take a vacation. Knowing the trade winds, the weather conditions and the water, I just wondered about this post on the board - and the suggested route.. :lick:

G

gary short

Sorry Chris you didn't sound like a guy. " The suggested route". From Manzinillo head straight out, drink 10 cases of Ticate then hang a left. Then drink 10 bottles of Tequila and 10 cases of Ticate and stop at the" island" of Costa Rica and buy some guns or sell some guns, whatever. At the Panama Canal, head left. Once through the canal, head left left right, drink whatever you've got left and run aground in Jamaca. After getting robbed and shot at in Jamaca head right right left to Haiti. Run aground and sell your guns or buy some guns, whatever. Then head right or left, depending on wich way your facing, to Porto Rico. Do not, repeat, do not turn left or right whichever way your facing before Porto Rico. Good luck!

G

gary short

Chris said:
LOL, you forgot ?the Cribe?
I just realised that. Beer, football and D.R.1, I feel myself spiralling out of control.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Aha, now I remember, you?re the gellcell guy! I insist in having a no-see-em at da loose mongoose down in trellis bay on this good ship Lollipop... so Captain, rechart that course! And we hope the batteries make it (just some harmless fun!)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Der Captin: I cain't sail worth a d@mn, but I do know that you are looking at an extremely dangerous voyage if that is your route.
I wonder if Ken would agree wit me?????

HB :D:D:D

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No problem if you cain?t sail --- original poster says no experience necessary! Just elbow grease! Hoist the main s?l... The sail dammit!... Not the presidente bottle!

G

gary short

Dangerous indeed especially when you're a future Darwin award recipient.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
I posted on this board advertising for a crew, if I wanted an English teacher I would have would have posted on the Harvard forum.
As far as picking a dangerous route, constructive criticism and pointing out the supposed dangers would be more appreciated, ie: weather conditions, tides, shoals, people or this forum.
Capt.Ron

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
count me in

I posted on this board advertising for a crew, if I wanted an English teacher I would have would have posted on the Harvard forum.

But it does make for some interesting reading

I have family in Cribe, how long will be staying there

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
dogstar said:
As far as picking a dangerous route, constructive criticism and pointing out the supposed dangers would be more appreciated, ie: weather conditions, tides, shoals, people or this forum.
Capt.Ron

Come-on, we were having some harmless fun. We did not criticise your spelling, we criticised your spelling of your destinations... Where are you in the DR? That would make a big difference to where you should stage from, and whether you go to Puerto Rico, or Jamaica first. The Mona passage is notoriously dangerous. If you choose your weather window right, it could be a breeze. If you make a mistake in terms of weather window and conditions, you'll seldom find a more miserable or more dangerous piece of water. Jamaica and Puerto Rico? well, one is East and the other West. The C'ribe? I do not really know where that is.

If I had to do this journey between the DR, Puerto Rico and Jamaica, I would get the bad piece over first, i.e., DR to Puerto Rico (assuming you are on the North Coast somewhere) and I would wait for weather - stage in Samana for example and wait till it is perfect. Then, from Puerto Rico, I would plot course to Jamaica. But there are many ways to do it.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
ok, I am in Manzanillo, I intend to sail west, then south between Haiti and Cuba, thats close enough to Jamaca to stop and check it out;) ;) . The winds are right for this, after Jamaca, head east, the trades are from the E, ENE, ESE, and the swells are smaller than the Atlantic on the north side of the island. Depending on the wind, 1 or 2 tacks will put me in Porto Rico, this is alot better than trying to buck the currant ( is that the water or the fruit)and wind on the north side. My biggest problem will be gettihg the hook up, it's been buried in the mud for 2 years.
Capt Ron

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well Capt. Ron: My point was that by sailing west you would be heading into water that are populated by some nasties, according to local "lore"...
And Jamaica--apart from the Montego Bay-Ocho R?os area is supposed to be no-man's land. I don't know for sure but with 50' of sail craft under me, I am not sure I would take the chance.

As for the winds and one or two tacks (current is what you were looking for, I think, you were doing the fruit) I wonder how far south you would have to take the boat to do it on just two tacks....

Supposedly, those are the trades and "always blow from East to West." But I am not a sailor...

I'd love to do it, really, but hummmm, I left my 12 ga and my H&K at home...

HB :D:D:D:D

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
Lets start with sailing east from here, I tried that and beat my brains out, and I can't afford to lose any more. Going west, with the wind at my back, well I did that too...smoooth.
bad guys, the world is full of them, you don't take chances and we watch each others back....no problems. South china sea,that was tough.
as for Jamaca, I understand the drink with the umbrella in it was invented there....to keep the locals from spitting in your drink. It sounds like an adventure, life here on the frontier is boring.
remember a pirate is only a fisherman who sees an opertunity.

G

gary short

dogstar said:
Lets start with sailing east from here, I tried that and beat my brains out, and I can't afford to lose any more. Going west, with the wind at my back, well I did that too...smoooth.
bad guys, the world is full of them, you don't take chances and we watch each others back....no problems. South china sea,that was tough.
as for Jamaca, I understand the drink with the umbrella in it was invented there....to keep the locals from spitting in your drink. It sounds like an adventure, life here on the frontier is boring.
remember a pirate is only a fisherman who sees an opertunity.
I'm with you head west. Consider a Cuban circumnavigation, as long, as you don't draw to much. A friend of mine was hanging around the keys off the south coast. He claims it's like Belize was 30 years ago. If you decide to head east sail in the a.m. the winds are way lighter, but watch out for the odd norther. WHOOOEEEE don't anchor at El Valle and get caught in a norther.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree about the smoother sailing by going west...Heck, the Columbus diaries tell of how he recommended getting out to sea as early as possible--and always before 9 a.m., so that the winds wouldn't blow the ships back to the shore!!

In fact, as he tried to head east, tack, tack, tack tack....., he eventually gave up and took off to th north, until he was about even with North Carolina, and then the winds headed the right way...

Going west is certainly the easiest way out of here. Perhaps a swing way south, maybe Aruba or Cura?ao, and then north....or go along the Venezuelan coast to T&T, then ride the wind up through the islands...

HB , wishing you fair winds and good luck!