What would help the RD ... most?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Being that many of us spend time critiquing things in our beloved RD, I am just wondering what folks think would be most helpful to the RD as a whole. Please note -- we're not asking what YOU personally would like to see, but what you believe would be most helpful to the majority of Dominicans (not expats) in the RD.

1. Longer school days
2. Same short days, but better supplies (texts, chalk, the "basics")
3. Mandatory 9 years of English language study and a comprehensive exam
4. Same as #3, but German
5. Same as #3, but French
6. Consistent electricity, 24/7
7. Stronger trade with China
8. Mandatory environmental regulations for businesses (dumping, recycling)
9. Regular trash pickup
10. More international "aid" dollars
11. Bomb Haiti
12. Open access to USA
13. Move the headquartes of Microsoft to the RD, (Microsauve).
14. Put all UBH in jail forever, and for AZB.
15. All vacationers over 200 pounds thrown in jail.
16. A little thing called "brake lights" for motoconchos...

If you want to argue for your version of a #18, make your case.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
samanasuenos said:
Being that many of us spend time critiquing things in our beloved RD, I am just wondering what folks think would be most helpful to the RD as a whole. Please note -- we're not asking what YOU personally would like to see, but what you believe would be most helpful to the majority of Dominicans (not expats) in the RD.

1. Longer school days
3. Mandatory 9 years of English language study and a comprehensive exam
9. Regular trash pickup
11. Bomb Haiti
12. Open access to USA

open access to the US ? That would be the end of the Dominican Republic.

We would be alright if we just had another Trujillo on board, that way there would be very limited government corruption as well as almost no crime.

Many people would be kept gainfully employed, sankies back in the bateyes cutting sugar cane off the streets and far away from the tourist areas, no drugs and more athlete's support.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
samanasuenos said:

I love this one...:classic: but I think getting corruption under control, or off the horizon of most business dealings would have the most impact.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Forget the list. There's nothing you can do to change things in the DR. It's hopeless. Any worthwhile change would require the investment (or sacrifice) of at least three generations of Dominicans living in a tightly regimented society. Not even a resurrected Trujillo could pull if off. I would recommend just be good citizens, and don't do anything you wouldn't do in your own countries of origin...

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
To change DR,
the educational system needs to be upgraded
prices need to decrease
Haitians need to be deported to haiti by the truck loads
Laws concerning haitian migration should become very very strict
There should be very harsh punishment for thiefs
DR should not accept deported dominican Yorks. Since a lot of them come to DR to continue their crime campaign.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You have to be careful what you wish for.
If we change the DR too much, it may become what we were escaping when we moved here.
samanasuenos said:
1. Longer school days.
Better teachers
samanasuenos said:
Again, better teachers.
samanasuenos said:
3. Mandatory 9 years of English language study and a comprehensive exam.
English would be helpful to the individual, but do we want Dominicans to become gringos, or do we like them the way they are, the warm blooded latinos they are.
samanasuenos said:
No way.
samanasuenos said:
Also, no way.
samanasuenos said:
I've already spent too much money on inverters & batteries, and generators, for them to become obsolete now.
Who would buy them from me?
samanasuenos said:
Do we want more defective products on store shelves, than we already have?
samanasuenos said:
Clean is good, but do we want to live in a land with an excessive amount of laws?
samanasuenos said:
9. Regular trash pickup
Nothing wrong with that.
samanasuenos said:
Please send them to me
samanasuenos said:
11. Bomb Haiti
I have too many smart arsed remarks about this one, so I'll leave it alone
samanasuenos said:
12. Open access to USA
Do you mean that Dominicans could move there without visas?
samanasuenos said:
That would be, "Microsuave". (Great name. Gave me a good chuckle.) So our computers could be even more unreliable and defective than they already are?
samanasuenos said:
UBH's are a necessary evil, They are the reason the other ladies look so good.
samanasuenos said:
That would reduce tourism by 75%
samanasuenos said:
So far, this is your best suggestion.

samanasuenos said:
What happened to 17?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Gracias!

1. Rocky: Thanks for your comments, a good read. Sorry about my spelling, I only go to school hald a day. Same on the math (#17). JAJA!

I apologize for the Haiti suggestion. I only wanted to shake a few palm trees (rouse sleepy posters).

2. Indiana - Hmn, and WHERE should the deported DomYork convicts end up? In Haiti? How would that work? Nah, Haiti would then overtake the DR. Where could we send them? A new SURVIVAL/LOST show - put them on an island with no food or fresh water and record it for TV, make lots of cash and invest it in teachers/schools?

3. Mirador! Nada pues? Oh come on, humor us and pick ONE .... do you need to be tickled?

4. Chris - gracias. And what nomer would we give to Starbucks, after Microsuave..........just wondering......??JEJEJE.. (Actually, I read something hee about the RD trying to become, ehem, a hi tech/info / internet HQ...really, so that is where the idea came from, in case ya were wonderin'.

5. Mr.DR - Trujillo? Nah, we would prefer Usted. Just kidding. And which of the #16 policies would Trujillo prefer? Come on.......pick one.....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mr_DR said:
open access to the US ? That would be the end of the Dominican Republic.
The end?

Not quite!

If Dominicans were not bound to the 48,000 square miles (more or less) of the eastern two-thirds of the island, the Dominican economy would be in much better shape, without a question.

In fact, one of the reason why countries like Italy, Puerto Rico, etc fortalized their economies, was in part due to the massive outflow of people combined with high economic growth for a period of time.

The DR will lose people until wages equalize the wages of the country they aspire to go to. At the current GDP level of US$58 billion, there would need to be around 1.7 million people in the country. This means that Dominicans will massively move to the US until the population of the country reaches 1.7 million. This will equal more or less to a per capita income of US$35,000, equivalent to the US which would make earning a living in the DR or US more or less the same and thus, the incentive to move is removed. Additionally, the Dominicans who will remain will be better off and better educated (since the less skilled will be more prone to leave).

Of course, this is assuming that all other things remain constant. This means, no more illegal migration from Haiti, an expanding economy at 7% per year, etc.

However, two things need to be done in this case:

1.If the DR ever gets the privilidge of no-visa entry to the US (ie. free flow of human capital), then we must ensure Haiti is treated the same as well.

Why?

If the DR and US drop migration hurdles between the two and allow free movement of labor, but the same is NOT done between the US and Haiti, the inflow of Haitians into DR will be astronomically higher than it currently is.

As if that was not the case, many of the Haitians will probably not qualify to be able to move between DR and US with no migration checks, because specifications will most likely include Dominican citizenship in order to be able to travel between the two countries at will.

2. The other option is the DR accepting US migration policy and regulation. The reason is because under such agreement of free flow of people between the two countries, entering the DR will be equivalent to entering American territory, because flow of people between the two will not be regulated. Thus, the DR will have to apply American style migration controls, border patrol, coast guard duties, etc.

-NALs

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Nal0whs said:
The end?

Not quite!

If Dominicans were not bound to the 48,000 square miles (more or less) of the eastern two-thirds of the island, the Dominican economy would be in much better shape, without a question.

In fact, one of the reason why countries like Italy, Puerto Rico, etc fortalized their economies, was in part due to the massive outflow of people combined with high economic growth for a period of time.

The DR will lose people until wages equalize the wages of the country they aspire to go to. At the current GDP level of US$58 billion, there would need to be around 1.7 million people in the country. This means that Dominicans will massively move to the US until the population of the country reaches 1.7 million. This will equal more or less to a per capita income of US$35,000, equivalent to the US which would make earning a living in the DR or US more or less the same and thus, the incentive to move is removed. Additionally, the Dominicans who will remain will be better off and better educated (since the less skilled will be more prone to leave).

Of course, this is assuming that all other things remain constant. This means, no more illegal migration from Haiti, an expanding economy at 7% per year, etc.

However, two things need to be done in this case:

1.If the DR ever gets the privilidge of no-visa entry to the US (ie. free flow of human capital), then we must ensure Haiti is treated the same as well.

Why?

If the DR and US drop migration hurdles between the two and allow free movement of labor, but the same is NOT done between the US and Haiti, the inflow of Haitians into DR will be astronomically higher than it currently is.

As if that was not the case, many of the Haitians will probably not qualify to be able to move between DR and US with no migration checks, because specifications will most likely include Dominican citizenship in order to be able to travel between the two countries at will.

2. The other option is the DR accepting US migration policy and regulation. The reason is because under such agreement of free flow of people between the two countries, entering the DR will be equivalent to entering American territory, because flow of people between the two will not be regulated. Thus, the DR will have to apply American style migration controls, border patrol, coast guard duties, etc.

-NALs
People don't want to be in the campos anymore, they are overpopulating the cities and they definately don't want to plant anymore.

Planting and farming is the true core of a more solid economy specially when technology does not make up a big percentage on the coutry's NGP.

It is one of the reason DR had one of the most envied economy during the Trujillo's era because he instilled the necessity and the importance of keeping people working the lands.

The poor will never make it when they have to pay $25 pesos for a single plantain just because it becomes scarce and they have to imported from Costa Rica just because los campesinos(countrymen) are now in the cities teaching their kids how to curse, gamble, get drunk, cheat and beat up on women.

It is true that the tourism sector is doing excellent but a country should not just think that it can just depend on that. And think that they can forget the core and drive of a country's economy.

Italy is not a good example for you because Italy still farms and they take it one step farther by selling the farm equipments to the world as well.

Now look at PR, the only thing that is keeping PR afloat is the fact that the US is its main contributor even though more than half the population in PR are in the US.

The only thing that you would enjoy coming from PR is its women and a Bacardi Limon. Nothing else because they don't cultivate.

It is a fact that the only thing that keeps dominican sending money into the country is the fact that they still have their poor relatives living there.

The minute that they no longer have their family in the country because of free access to the US the REMESAS stop.

It is true that it would diminish the population but we must also remember that this would just leave more room for haitians to come in and because most of these haitians will be poor and uneducated the country will be back to square one or even much worst because they would not easily be outnumbered.

There would be no military or police to chase them out because nobody in their right mind would stay in a country making peanuts for pesos when you can to go to the US and make peaunuts for dollars.

Last edited:

Kidd Creole

Nov 29, 2005
Build a wall...Have the youth learn english, And every new hatian that crosses over to the D.R. should be forced to Join the armed Forces..

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
America doen't need any more immigrants, our cities are towers of bable now, you want an open door policy, have one with Haiti and bring up thier standard of living to equal the DR and they will stop coming.
As far as having more Dominicans in the us ( make that Washington Hights), New York dosen't have enough street sweepers to keep up with them now.
jjs

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
dogstar said:
America doen't need any more immigrants, our cities are towers of bable now, you want an open door policy, have one with Haiti and bring up thier standard of living to equal the DR and they will stop coming.
As far as having more Dominicans in the us ( make that Washington Hights), New York dosen't have enough street sweepers to keep up with them now.
jjs
You need to go and learn what America means

If you think that America just describes the US, you are wrong. It is a fact that this name was already being used for a long time before the US even came into existence.

Piso Mojado

*** Sock-puppet ***
Oct 19, 2005
Marketing:

(and subsidize) Figure it out. Mexico is kicking your A$$ in the United States on sheer marketing technique. They have learned that it is more beneficial to offset the cost of the tourist coming to their country.

I live in mid-western US and when DR entered into the desination resort business here, they offered 2 sites...as opposed to 20+ Mexico destinations at lesser (AI and non-AI) cost.

Now, they are out of business. I have to hook a RT flight to NY or Miami to make it...and spend way more.

So long as DR focuses on the East Coast of the US, they will continue to lose market share. And that makes me understand the Canada/Europe market. Shortsighted and unfortunate for me.

Just pick up a Sunday paper, look for a "south of the border" (not Tijuana)destination, and multiply by 4. You'll get it.

Cuidado,
Piso Mojado

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
dogstar said:
jjs
Show us the way!

The day the US has an open door policy with Mexico, I think will be the day the DR will consider an open door policy with Haiti.

Mexicans form the overwhelming majority of Hispanics in the United States, open the borders so the Mexican Standard of living and the American standard of living equalize.

Notice, equalization does not mean bringing Mexico to the level of the US. It simply means that Mexico will be wealthier and the US will become poorer simultaneously until both country are equal in development level. Only then will the flow of illegal Mexicans would stop into the US, but that means US standard of living decreasing.

Go ahead, show the Dominican Republic how to do it. Come on now, show it.

-NAL

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
What would help the RD ... most?

A better, stronger, more honest police force. Ok, I know you'll never have a complete non-coruptable police force, but it would help the DR the most. A strong, respected police force would cut down on crime, improve the driving habits of many, deter the corruption of politicians...basically, make the country a safer and better place to live and to visit.

Bob (in fantasy land)

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Random musings........

Bob - I hear you on the police corruption. How would we go about that? Top down. Who would get installed as the new guy in charge then? A foreigner?

Nals - always knows what is what. Immigration is triiiiiiiiicky business...

Piso Mojado - Thank you for confirming what I had suspected about routing. Now, could it be that the RD just is not interested in midwestern US? Maybe they prefer their Euro folks. And maybe the Eurpoeans like the RD because there are not so many Loud Fat Americans (I can say that, I am one - though neither loud nor fat am I.)

-- sam

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
You guys are plowing the sea...

from a handful of today's news, you may know the whole sack...

The government denied that Armed Forces personnel where involved in the burning of 30 homes in Guerra, in vengeance for the killing of an Air Force sargent, when there are published accounts of witnesses to the contrary...

Air Force Troops Occupy Fao, Guerra - El Nacional On Line

Two Air Force colonels have been fired for the theft and sale (to Colombia) of an Air Force turbine, other officers were given 30 day arrests...

El Nacional On Line - Two Colonels Fired

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
samanasuenos said:
Piso Mojado - Thank you for confirming what I had suspected about routing. Now, could it be that the RD just is not interested in midwestern US? Maybe they prefer their Euro folks. And maybe the Eurpoeans like the RD because there are not so many Loud Fat Americans (I can say that, I am one - though neither loud nor fat am I.)

-- sam
Even though your comment was meant to Piso Mojado, I will mention that european visitors do spend longer vacations in the DR than do Americans.

It does not takes a rocket scientist to realize that the longer a person visits a place, the more they will spend as oppose to a shorter visit.

Having said this, the eastern US offers one thing Europe does not and that is proximity.

2 to 4 hours tops a typical flight from anywhere along the eastern US to the DR vs an average of 8 hours and more from Europe.

Having said this, the Dominican tourist market is still european oriented and this is very visible from certain details in the resorts. For example, many restaurants in the resorts are open air as opposed to air conditioned, many offer wine with your meal as oppose to a beer, etc.

These are minor details that defines the differences in preferences between Americans and Europeans and in essence, shows to whom the tourist industry caters the most.

Of course, things are changing but...

-NALs

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
open door policy

my sweet potutie, why should we have an open door policy with some rat a**
banana republic...what to bring our standard of living down 90% just to bring some peon up 10%. Let me tell you....it's good to be king. As most of the worst, read upper class, in the DR knows. You want to level the playing field, start with redistribution of the land and wealth here.
jjs

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
dogstar said:
my sweet potutie, why should we have an open door policy with some rat a**
banana republic...what to bring our standard of living down 90% just to bring some peon up 10%. Let me tell you....it's good to be king. As most of the worst, read upper class, in the DR knows. You want to level the playing field, start with redistribution of the land and wealth here.
jjs
It would not surprise me to find out that dogstar may be your avg white trailertrash, tax cheater, with more than 2 kids.
A true burden to the country's economy.