Part time resident

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
I may have the unique opportunity to live in the DR 50% and US 50%. I would be coming and going on a monthly basis. What I mean is Jan in US, Feb in DR, Mar in US, April in DR, etc. I will be living on the North coast and I will be able to work for my US employer remotely.
My questions are:
1. Do I need a residency or longer term visa?
2. Can I rent without a residency?
3. What about buying a vehicle or moto concho?
4. What other legal issues am I overlooking?
5. What's the maximum stay on a US passport?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I have a question

Are you hiring?

Short Answers:
1: In and out in 30 days? You shouldn't have much trouble finding your way through that.

2: If you have US$ you can do whatever you want - but pay in pesos.

3: Dangerous to buy/use either.

4: North Coast - Pirate's Paradise. No worries.

5: It's changed, but do a search, there was just a post where someone listed stay duration, fines, etc.

Good luck, I'm envious.

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks _ I just found out on this site that maximum stay is 90 days. Hope I can pull this off, but have to sell a house in US first. It is too expensive so I need a small apt in US and in DR. Are you living in the DR now?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If this is a permanent thing, I suggest you think about residency. Otherwise, don't worry about it. You will probably have to pay a small fine for overstaying your tourist permit each time you leave, but the amount you pay a year for 6 short overstays will not be much.

You can rent or buy without being a resident. Likewise you can buy a car or motorcycle. Lots of motorcycle accidents, so if you need your own vehicle, get a car. I've lived here 20 years without one, relying mostly on public transportaton, but maybe you will need one for your work.

There is no maximum stay on a US passport. The tourist permit you will get each time you land will have a short life with a small fine charged each time you leave. Nothing to be concerned about.

Good luck. I'm sure a lot of people on this board will be envious.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
If you are only staying for 30 days at a time - then you will not be over staying your tourist visa.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We stay every year for 4-6 months with no problem. Yes we pay the 'fine' or additional tarrif when we leave....no big deal.
Insurance for a vehicle will only cover you for 30 days but if you leave and come back you are again covered for 30 days. Otherwise....you might want to think about residency (we are thinking about it for this reason).
May I ask why the north coast? Weather is nicer on the south-south/east coast! :)

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for all the good advice. The reason for the North coast is that I have been there 3 times, and love Cabarrette and Sosua, and also have a close friend who moved to Sosua six months ago. I would hope to have time to explore the south and east coasts.
I'm still not sure I can pull this off, but my flexibiblity is such that my employer should go for it. They have offices in Dublin, Krakow, and New Delhi, as well as developers working from home in other US cities, so why not the DR? I have to sell a house here in Texas first.
I admit you have to be very careful, but I can't see all the fuss about the dangers of riding moto conchos. I rented one for driving around Sosua/Cabarrette last trip down. Easy cheap way to get around. I would NOT drive one after dark though.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I'm going thru the same thing you are considering. We've learned a lot, with a lot of help. PM me, if you want. Maybe we can help.