Buying motorcycle from a dealership....questions

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I am about to purchase a new Kawasaki WIND 125 from a dealership here in SD. Someone has gone in before me to negotiate a price and I am getting a couple thousand pesos knocked off. Before I go in, sit down and do the paperwork, I want to be as informed as possible. Hopefully, someone else has gone through this process recnetly and can answer the following questions for me:

-- I was told from someone who has purchased a bike from the same dealer that upon paying for the bike, the dealership gives you a registration for the bike but is still in the dealerships name. They then send you an official reg. (still in the DEALERSHIPS name) a couple of weeks later. If you want the registration in your name, you have to pay 1500 or 2000 pesos to have it done. The proof of ownership is that you have a reciept that you bought the bike and putting the reg in your name is not necessary...Is this correct?

-- Do they give you a title for a motorcycle in this country or anything similar?

My concerns are obviously:

-getting pulled over by Amet and having my paperwork in order

- having an accident and having my paperwork in order

- selling the bike in the future and having all the proper documentation so that there are no complications in doing so.

I appreciate any information.............

Larry

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Question for Larry

How much would you charge me for you to authorize me to take out a life insurance policy on you with me as the beneficiary?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
HOWMAR said:
How much would you charge me for you to authorize me to take out a life insurance policy on you with me as the beneficiary?

Funny thing is that I told my roomate that I expected YOU to make a stupid/sarcastic comment. I knew you would not let me down.

If anyone else can answer me questions I would appreciate any insight/info.

Larry

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Larry said:
Funny thing is that I told my roomate that I expected YOU to make a stupid/sarcastic comment. I knew you would not let me down.

If anyone else can answer me questions I would appreciate any insight/info.

Larry
It may have been sarcastic, but it wasn't as stupid as wanting to buy a motorcyce. Or haven't you noticed the unusually high number of amputees on the street. It was meant in genuine concern for you. When I read your post I heard my mother saying "It's all fun and games until somebody puts out an eye."

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Is it safe to say that same rules for a motorcycle (registration & title) should reflect the same rules for a car?

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
Man i've had several big bikes in the last 10 years, i now ride a GSXR1000, had my license at 18 and even with my experience i wouldn't dare to ride a bicycle on the sidewalks in SD. Not even in full leathers and good helmet! lol.

Saw an accident two weekends ago on Independencia and it wasn't pretty, DON'T GET THE BIKE!

ps/ There are two kinds of riders, those that have fallen and the ones that are going to. Remember that one.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
El_cubano said:
There are two kinds of riders, those that have fallen and the ones that are going to. Remember that one.
That's what the Highway cop told me when he was picking me up off the FDR(NYC), I ride a CBR900

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Larry said:
I am about to purchase a new Kawasaki WIND 125 from a dealership here in SD. Someone has gone in before me to negotiate a price and I am getting a couple thousand pesos knocked off. Before I go in, sit down and do the paperwork, I want to be as informed as possible. Hopefully, someone else has gone through this process recnetly and can answer the following questions for me:

-- I was told from someone who has purchased a bike from the same dealer that upon paying for the bike, the dealership gives you a registration for the bike but is still in the dealerships name. They then send you an official reg. (still in the DEALERSHIPS name) a couple of weeks later. If you want the registration in your name, you have to pay 1500 or 2000 pesos to have it done. The proof of ownership is that you have a reciept that you bought the bike and putting the reg in your name is not necessary...Is this correct?

-- Do they give you a title for a motorcycle in this country or anything similar?

My concerns are obviously:

-getting pulled over by Amet and having my paperwork in order

- having an accident and having my paperwork in order

- selling the bike in the future and having all the proper documentation so that there are no complications in doing so.

I appreciate any information.............

Larry
Haven't bought a bike lately, but I can tell you that the title should be put in your name. They will not have it ready for you at the time of purchase, but either they can give you all the necessary documentation to do it yourself, or if they are a good dealership, they will do it for you, and you can pick it up later.
In the meantime, you drive with the papers given to you at the point of sale, and as long as you have insurance, it's all legit.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Rocky said:
Haven't bought a bike lately, but I can tell you that the title should be put in your name. They will not have it ready for you at the time of purchase, but either they can give you all the necessary documentation to do it yourself, or if they are a good dealership, they will do it for you, and you can pick it up later.
In the meantime, you drive with the papers given to you at the point of sale, and as long as you have insurance, it's all legit.

Thanks Marc.

Larry