Worth repeating...

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
From today's news but worth repeating. Here is a young man that knows the importance of hard work and ambition. He did things the hard way and it paid off. Bravo!--Scandall

A success story
When a person from humble beginnings gets ahead, it is a real success story, and one such story was carried in the weekend papers. Young Kelvin Santos works as a packer at the Nacional Supermarket in Santiago. In his free time, he studies Systems and Computer Engineering at the prestigious PUCMM. He pays for his own studies now that his government scholarship has run out. He will graduate on Saturday. On Friday, Monsignor Agripino Nunez Collado, the university rector, awarded the soon-to-be graduate his graduation ring at a small ceremony at the Cuesta Bookstore in the supermarket. Professor Pragmacio Marichal, president of the Computers for Development Foundation awarded the student a plaque. The only son of a single mother, the student worked his way through the LaSalle brothers Hermanos Miguel School, and graduated from the New York Center. He had to leave his job as a teacher at the New Dawn Christian School because it interfered with his classwork. Santos earned his money from tips received for his work as a supermarket.
As proof that hard work doesn't go unrewarded, today's El Caribe reports that Kelvin Santos received a scholarship from the Ministry of Youth in order to obtain his advanced degree at the US university of his choice. Minister for Youth, Manuel Crespo, also gave the young man his first personal computer, a brand new Dell. With obvious admiration for the student, Crespo described Santos's academic success as "a real conquest."

Sep 19, 2005
I know it is hugely oversimplification..........but incases like this I can't help but think that once ONE does it, that all CAN do it if they had the same desire.

I used to think that about kids that dropped out of school in NYC....think of all the kids that stayed and are a success... they proved it is possible

bob

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
laurapasinifan said:
I know it is hugely oversimplification..........but incases like this I can help but think that once ONE does it that all CAN do it if they had the same desire.

I used to think that about kids that dropped out of school in NYC....think of all the kids that stayed and area success... they proved it is possible

bob

The kid has character. And this story will make me reconsider tipping more often to people like baggers etc. who are actually working and not scamming on the streets.

Scandall

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
congratulations to kevin santos. let his be an example to many who think they have no chance at success.
AZB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
What a great story!

i have got to say...that i know quite a few people in the DR who have gone from working security at some hotel...to either working at the mega port in computers and/or otherwise have improved their lot since i met them 6 years ago.

Nice to hear a good story like this tho

thanks