Abortion Question??

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Abortion is not legal in the DR.

That said, most women either know, or know someone else who knows, either which pills to get at a farmacia, or the plants to get from the bush, that will induce an abortion if the pregnant woman chooses to do so.

Better than a coat hanger, worse than not aborting.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Abortion is not legal. The recently adopted Penal Code still makes it a crime punishable by up to two years in prison, and doctors assisting it can be sentenced anywhere from 5 to 20 yrs public service:

Art. 317.- (Modificado Ley No. 1690 de 1948). El que por medio de alimentos, brevajes, medicamentos, sondeos, tratamientos o de otro modo cualquiera, causare o cooperare directamente a causar el aborto de una mujer embarazada, aun cuando ?sta consienta en ?l, ser? castigado con la pena de reclusi?n. La misma pena se impondr? a la mujer que causare un aborto o que consintiere en hacer uso de las substancias que con ese objeto se le indiquen o administren o en someterse a los medios abortivos, siempre que el aborto se haya efectuado. Se impondr? la pena de prisi?n de seis meses a dos a?os a las personas que hayan puesto en relaci?n o comunicaci?n una mujer embarazada con otra persona para que le produzca el aborto, siempre que el aborto se haya efectuado, aun cuando no hayan cooperado directamente al aborto. Los m?dicos, cirujanos, parteras, enfermeras, farmac?uticos y otros profesionales m?dicos, que, abusando de su profesi?n, causaren el aborto o cooperaren a ?l, incurrir?n en la penade cinco a veinte a?os de trabajos p?blicos, si el aborto se efectuare.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
Keith R said:
Abortion is not legal. The recently adopted Penal Code still makes it a crime punishable by up to two years in prison, and doctors assisting it can be sentenced anywhere from 5 to 20 yrs public service:

Thanks Keith. If it's illegal though, how come so many abortions take place on daily basis in DR. I never hear in the news about anyone getting arrested or fined for getting an abortion, or a doctor getting in trouble for doing one.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
By reply was intended to be satirical, but Mirador ruined it with all that serious allegation.

I actually believe that, eventhough it might sound strange, that young people in DR abuse alcohol way less than their counterparts in Europe, deffenitly less than those then in the U.S.

Not treating alcohol as a forbidden fruit works in the DR.
In fact, none of my friends in the DR have an urge to drink as I have seen in the US.

IN responce to the OP:

My theory is that, like many thing in the DR, it is illigal in the book simply to appease the Catholic Church.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It is in fact quite easy to arrange with a legitimate doctor and clinic as well. Not cheap but not as much as the USA.

Baby Girl

Sep 23, 2005
ricktoronto said:
It is in fact quite easy to arrange with a legitimate doctor and clinic as well. Not cheap but not as much as the USA.

So out of curiosity what does it cost in the US and in the DR... you may not know but a ballpark amount would be great ...

In Canada its free to have an abortion as long as you are a Canadian citizen or permamnent citizen ..... I know the tax payers dollars pay for all that here

*Baby Girl

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Baby Girl said:
In Canada its free to have an abortion as long as you are a Canadian citizen or permamnent citizen ..... I know the tax payers dollars pay for all that here
That may change after February 6th.:eek:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Baby Girl said:
So out of curiosity what does it cost in the US and in the DR... you may not know but a ballpark amount would be great ...

*Baby Girl

I helped a girl out (not my kid) and it was RD$3000 and a RD$1000 deposit for blood if needed (it wasn't). At the time the peso was around 40 so US$75 and US$25 for the blood, which I got back. It took an hour or so and all was well. Free in Canada or not is not really germane to the question.

For the US there are lots of websites for clinics with prices depending on the method and term. You could do a little research.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
rellosk said:
That may change after February 6th.:eek:

With a minority government they haven't a hope and won't even risk introducing it as a private members bill. If so they will look like what everyone suspects they are, Ed. they only have 124 seats. 155 is a majority. The other 3 parties wil not add 31 votes, nor even 2 or 3.

They also do not have a Senate majority so a bill would be able to languish 5 years in committee as well. Plus the GG would have to sign it. As a woman she probably wouldn't. Then the Supreme Court would overturn it as a charter rights violation. By the time they tried to use the notwithstanding clause they'd be booted out under a non-confidence vote.