Highest Growth in Latin America????

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
you are 54% richer!!!

The press release at the Central Bank website shows that national income (GDP) per person increased from US$2102 to $US3247.

So congratulations to all Dominican residents.....the PLD has just informed you that in 2005 you could afford to buy 54% more foreign made goods than you could in 2004.....

...so instead of settling for a Mistubishi SUV....you were able to move up to a Toyota or Lexus....instead of being able to afford just one slab of Philadelphia cream cheese....you could get 3 for the price of 2...

I just wish that I could get a 54% increase in purchasing power. What are y'all doing with this extra 54%?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
mondongo said:
The press release at the Central Bank website shows that national income (GDP) per person increased from US$2102 to $US3247.

So congratulations to all Dominican residents.....the PLD has just informed you that in 2005 you could afford to buy 54% more foreign made goods than you could in 2004.....

...so instead of settling for a Mistubishi SUV....you were able to move up to a Toyota or Lexus....instead of being able to afford just one slab of Philadelphia cream cheese....you could get 3 for the price of 2...

I just wish that I could get a 54% increase in purchasing power. What are y'all doing with this extra 54%?
It sounds more like a fabrication to me.

Most of this per capita that they are talking about they forget to mention the fact that it is generated by many foreign owned companies which money's does not stay in the country.

So, I don't know how much value this reasearch have.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In general,

The GDP of a country is comprised of that country's production from all firms that are detected or "within the radar" of the government. However, GDP growth is determined by the country's largest enterprises.

In other words, the government (and this is true of all governments worldwide when computing GDP growth or decline) consult with the largest businesses within the country with regard to production increase or decrease.

If, collectively, the large businesses had an increase in production during the year, that percentage is used to denote GDP growth for that particular year.

When you hear or read that "all sectors of the economy grew, except xyz", it usually means the largest and most influential businesses within each sector grew or declined in production.

The businesses used as benchmarks (and usually they do pick a few from each industry) are businesses that might or do have market power in pricing, consumption levels, production, etc.

With the case of what Mr DR proposed, meaning that this production was done by foreign businesses, it does not appear to be so. All sectors of the Dominican economy (except for all inclusive tourism, telecommunications, and a few others) are dominated by Dominican firms, with usually a few Dominican firms being of substancial size for the national economy. While its true that those foreign businesses function within the country export some of their profits, keep in mind that profits are also used for re-investing within the businesses themselves and expansion within the country (ie. job creation) in addition to supporting events and the such within the community.

So yes, some of the money is exported by foreign companies, but a good deal is given back to the Dominican people via wages, job creation, training, events, perhaps even help an organization that takes care of homeless children and the sort.

As for why is this done to denote GDP growth or decline? Usually, if the big businesses in a particular sector are doing well, that is a sign the small businesses are also doing well.

-NAL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All of todays press carrys articles about economists that are doubting the Central Bank's methodology on this.. We'll see where it goes.

I agree that it sounds fishy ...

Stinks in fact..

HB :ermm:

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Mi cosa

My thing is what is the GPD calculation methodology used by the DR Central Bank vs. Commonly Used International GDP Calculations? Could anyone bring some knowledge to the table. Mondongo? Nals? Please enlighten thee

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
principe, I would approach your question from a practical and quantitative standpoint. Let's use the USA as a comparison. The real GDP growth must be approximately equal to money supply growth minus inflation. You can confirm this by looking at the USA federal reserve data. This approximation makes sense because we measure GDP with money, and thus in order to increase your GDP you have to increase your money supply.

I will look at these similar figures for the DR Central Bank and see if they make as much sense as those in the USA....

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
principe said:
How believeable or unbelievable do you think Albizu and his "figures" are??
Evidently, you are not the only one to question the accuracy of the figures. This appeared in today's DR1 news:

Big questions about the GDP numbers
Former Central Bank governor, Luis Toral said that the Central Bank numbers were twisted to achieve a political objective in the May elections. The former official said that the numbers given out by the Bank are an "insult and a mockery" to the people. Toral said that if the country had experienced a GDP growth such as was reported by Central Bank governor Hector Valdez Albizu, it should have repercussion at every level of the society, and this did not occur.
Toral coincided with economist Miguel Ceara Hatton and others who asked that the methodology used by the Central Bank to arrive as such envious numbers be explained in a transparent manner.
Toral, talking to reporters from the Listin Diario, said that the 9.6% increase in the Gross Domestic Product and an increase of US$1,144 of income per person, along with a reduction in unemployment, was just not reasonable to believe.
The former Central Bank governor said, "The general population perceives something just the opposite from the situation presented by Valdez Albizu". He said that the situation among merchants and industrialists supports the generalized opinion of the populace, and that the numbers have been "distorted." He invited Governor Valdez to visit the barrios of Santo Domingo to see if the population has enjoyed such a bonanza.
Economist Ceara Hatton, the economic consultant for the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in the Dominican Republic and Henry Hebrard, a research economist at the Center for Tax Studies (CENIT) agreed that the higher than normal GDP growth rate could be based on an incorrect methodology. Ceara Hatton based his opinion on the fact that surveys carried out by well known companies show that most Dominicans feel that the country is in a crisis and that the situation has not gotten any better. Hebrard said that he was critical of the fact that the government used the huge growth in the communications sector to bolster the GDP growth rate. Telecommunications grew by 26% in 2005. He added that without the telecommunications added in, the GDP growth would still be between 5% and 6%, "something that, no matter what, we would consider extraordinary."

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The DR1 news report also includes the following:

"Hebrard said that he was critical of the fact that the government used the huge growth in the communications sector to bolster the GDP growth rate. Telecommunications grew by 26% in 2005. He added that without the telecommunications added in, the GDP growth would still be between 5% and 6%, "something that, no matter what, we would consider extraordinary."

If, in fact, the telecommunications sector is highly responsible for the higher than expected economic growth figures, why would this be much of a debate among the other economists?

There is no reason why the central bank should exclude the figures from any sector of the economy. Each sector of the economy contributes to the GDP of the country and if one sector grows large enough to push the economic growth rate to near 10%, then that is how much the economy grew. The report also states that without the inclusion of the telecommunications sector, the growth rate would be around 6%, which is on target of what was expected during that latter part of 2005, although in the beginning of 2005 IMF estimates were around 1 to 2%, extremely below the actual growth in either case.

This is similar to the inflation rate, often times the culprit for much of the inflation is due to petroleum prices. Very often, if the petroleum effect is excluded, inflation rates are very low, but the fact of the matter remains that petroleum is an important part of the economy and the livelyhoods of people and I don't see the reason for exclusion.

It's always good to be a healthy skeptic with statistical data.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
mondongo said:
principe, I would approach your question from a practical and quantitative standpoint. Let's use the USA as a comparison. The real GDP growth must be approximately equal to money supply growth minus inflation. You can confirm this by looking at the USA federal reserve data. This approximation makes sense because we measure GDP with money, and thus in order to increase your GDP you have to increase your money supply.

I will look at these similar figures for the DR Central Bank and see if they make as much sense as those in the USA....
Much of what Mondongo states above is correct.

Having said that, how and why an increase in the money supply occurs says alot of the well being of the economy.

For example, if the money supply increases for reasons beyond the market, this will result in high inflation, if not hyperinflation. We certainly know this has not been the case since inflation for 2005 has been the lowest since the decade started.

If, however, the money supply increases due to increase affluence, in addition to higher economic activity in several sectors, then inflation pressures would not be as inclined to rise to harmful levels.

The alternative is an increase in money supply and the government subsequently selling bonds in order to decrease the bulging money supply and thus, saves the economy from experiencing high inflation.

-NALs

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
NALs said:
The DR1 news report also includes the following:

"Hebrard said that he was critical of the fact that the government used the huge growth in the communications sector to bolster the GDP growth rate. Telecommunications grew by 26% in 2005. He added that without the telecommunications added in, the GDP growth would still be between 5% and 6%, "something that, no matter what, we would consider extraordinary."

If, in fact, the telecommunications sector is highly responsible for the higher than expected economic growth figures, why would this be much of a debate among the other economists?

There is no reason why the central bank should exclude the figures from any sector of the economy. Each sector of the economy contributes to the GDP of the country and if one sector grows large enough to push the economic growth rate to near 10%, then that is how much the economy grew. The report also states that without the inclusion of the telecommunications sector, the growth rate would be around 6%, which is on target of what was expected during that latter part of 2005, although in the beginning of 2005 IMF estimates were around 1 to 2%, extremely below the actual growth in either case.
I'm not sure why Hatton and Hebrard felt telecommunications should have been excluded. But because they are not part of the current or a former administration, I put some credence in what they say.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
principe said:
My thing is what is the GPD calculation methodology used by the DR Central Bank vs. Commonly Used International GDP Calculations? Could anyone bring some knowledge to the table. Mondongo? Nals? Please enlighten thee
GDP is nothing more than the collected information of the economic well being of the most influential and largest enterprises within each sector of the economy.

The only thing that can be done is exclude certain sectors of the economy.

Usually, this is done when a particular sector grows at above its own average and significantly above the average of the other sectors. What this does is allow economists to see the rate the economy grows minus the outlier.

However, this is a distorted view. It's always best to see the entire picture with everything being put in place if we want to see how much the economy grew and then, if we want to see how much the economy would have grown assuming all sectors grew at similar rates, then we would drop the outlier.

This is similar to review the GDP per capita (or income per person) in a country. A GDP per capita of a country gives you the wealth creation in the country on a per capita level. However, this does not clearly states what region of the country are more productive than others.

In this case, if we want to see the productivity of the countryside on a per capita basis, we would simply drop the data from the cities and we would get the GDP per capita of the countryside without distortions, but these figures cannot be used to denote the national GDP per capita because it will be a distortion prefering the countryside over the cities, as oppose to giving a nationally based data.

As a rule of thumb, the countryside are almost always less productive than cities and some cities are more productive than others. With the case of the Dominican Republic, the most productive city is Santo Domingo which on its own produces 40% of all the wealth created in the country, in other words 40% of the Dominican economy is based within the city of Santo Domingo alone. For comparison, the Cibao valley controls another 40% and the rest of the country produces the remaining 20%.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
rellosk said:
I'm not sure why Hatton and Hebrard felt telecommunications should have been excluded. But because they are not part of the current or a former administration, I put some credence in what they say.
That's fair.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Red Herring

In the USA, for the last 50 years or so, the ratio of the money supply (M2) to GDP has remained very stable, and only during the boom of the 90's did it temporarily increase. Even then, it was a good enough (for the purposes of this DR discussion).

With that in mind, do not succumb to the red herring of pointlessly arguing whether we have 9% or 7% or 6% GDP growth. All those numbers are about the same: meaning supposedly robust GDP growth fro 2005.

Edited to take out claim I could not susbtantiate.

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Now for the numbers,

According to my M2 velocity model of correlating money supply, inflation, and GDP (all of which are published by the DR Central Bank), using their own numbers my model shows:

2005 Real GDP:
------------------>using the published yearly data:7.9% growth

2004 Real GDP:
------------------>using the published yearly data: -28% contraction.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You read that correctly, folks. That is not a misprint. According to my analysis, which I have confidence in, the problem is not necessarily the 2005 GDP report, but the 2004 GDP report.

The 2004 official report showed a slight (~2.8%) increase in the GDP......when in fact the real GDP for the DR shrank by 28% as measured my the M2 money supply model.

Caveat: the M2 velocity model may not be as applicable in the DR as it is in the USA. Howver, I don't think that any modelling error could give rise to such a devastating contradiction of what the PLD published last year to what I just computed.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I won't even pretend to understand this "M2 velocity model", but are you saying by that measure, the economy have improved dramatically in 2005?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
rellosk, i am saying that using the PLD Central Bank's own data, my gdp calculation:

2005: 7.9% growth, about what they claim
2004: -28% contraction, grossly different from what they
--------------claim. They overvalued the DR economy by
--------------30%.