Break and Enter at Costambar

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
This Sunday night while I was sleeping a thief broke into throught my livingrom window and escaped with 7 DVD's and My wallet containing $4,400 pesos cash. After thinking hard I called a Friend of my who is a Lieutenant at The NAtional Police. I told him what happened and Whom I thought was the suspect. My friend told me that he let him in throught the window earlier and left it open. So the cop calls some mobile cops and arrests the guy. The thief happened to be the building maintanence guy. They were able to recover the 6 of the 7 DVD's. His family offered to pay me back the money if I with held the charges. So i made full recovery for the first time in a DR robbery/theft incident.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Sad to hear about the robbery, but very glad you made a full recovery of the loot. Lets hope the thief is not allowed further entry through the Costambar main gate. Be very careful! Canadian Bob.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
stallion said:
His family offered to pay me back the money if I with held the charges. So i made full recovery for the first time in a DR robbery/theft incident.
Sorry to hear about the robbery.

Why withhold from filing charges charges? Not filing charges can only encourage the thief (and his compadres) from committing the same crime at his next job.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Stallion, you are the same stallion from jarabacoa? If so, please PM me your new cell number. Some one else answers when I dial your old number.
AZB

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
A good ending to a bad story

stallion said:
This Sunday night while I was sleeping a thief broke into throught my livingrom window and escaped with 7 DVD's and My wallet containing $4,400 pesos cash. After thinking hard I called a Friend of my who is a Lieutenant at The NAtional Police. I told him what happened and Whom I thought was the suspect. My friend told me that he let him in throught the window earlier and left it open. So the cop calls some mobile cops and arrests the guy. The thief happened to be the building maintanence guy. They were able to recover the 6 of the 7 DVD's. His family offered to pay me back the money if I with held the charges. So i made full recovery for the first time in a DR robbery/theft incident.

I am glad that everything turned out on the positive side for you.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Hi Stallion,

Hope all is well :classic:

I'm glad to hear that you were the exception, rather than the rule, and recovered some of your property.

IMO, I would go ahead and file charges. By doing so, you may hinder this guy in his future efforts to find a job.

The company I work for is hiring a new slew of people and each prospect has to provide us with a copy of his cedula. I am having their cedula numbers ran to ensure that we don't hire any (known) thieves or druggies. I would hate for the guy to show up here, or anywhere for that matter, looking for a job and not have a visible criminal history.

But the important thing is that you got most of your things back.

(Look for my PM, I'm finally going to stop procrastinating ;) )

Sunnie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Sunshine. Go ahead and file the charges. Why should you give the guy such a huge break just because he gave you back what he stole from you. The police would have gotten them from the family anyway.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
you dropped the charges???

So if he or one of his friends burglarize you again, invade your home, steal your belongings and are caught....you will forget about it if they just give it all back???

I dont want to be sarcastic but please explain what your rationale is here so I can understand..

Larry

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I would

I have made a decision........The other night someone stole my Orchids from my galeria ....... If they do that and I DO happen to catch them , I will shoot them in the leg AND press charges. If they break into my Casita it is the Shoulder And Press charges AND the Casita and if it is into my house .Well .you know ............

Press charges.. After you collect your money or you are inviting him or his cronies back.................... You cannot leave any doubt ........

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I would

I have made a decision........The other night someone stole my Orchids from my galeria ....... If they do that and I DO happen to catch them , I will shoot them in the leg AND press charges. If they break into my Casita it is the Shoulder And Press charges AND the Casita and if it is into my house .Well .you know ............

Press charges.. After you collect your money or you are inviting him or his cronies back.................... You cannot leave any doubt ........ Do you relaly think he would have apologized and left if you happened upon him ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Larry said:
So if he or one of his friends burglarize you again, invade your home, steal your belongings and are caught....you will forget about it if they just give it all back???

I dont want to be sarcastic but please explain what your rationale is here so I can understand

You are right, Larry. He has made himself a no-risk target. If they get away with it, great for them. If not, they just give it back. Great odds for the ladrones.

brit

Jun 28, 2005
I have been robbed and beat up .....3 times in the 9 months on KIte Beach in Cabarete. I am moving of course, enough is enough. I would love to place a charge on somebody.
We all need to be more careful. I thought I had it covered!!!

Sep 19, 2005
ok the way i read it and rationalize it

the "deal" was to have the money replaced by the thiefs FAMILY if he didnt press charges... and this was obvioulsy offered AFTER the fact...

so his options are go with out my 4,400 pesos.. and press charges to PUNISH the guy..(and defacto myself)..or recover my money

whats best for this guy ....he took his money back

what are the chances the guy will come back and rob the same house?

he did whats best for himself..maybe not whats best for the community.

he played the hand he was delt....

BELIEVE me I am all for someone getting their DUE

but I cant second guess HIS choice

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I read it the same as Bob. It isn't worth 4400 pesos to teach the guy a meaningless lesson. If you press charges he keeps the 4400 and then his friends threaten you to drop the charges anyway. Put the money towards some bars on the windows,

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
HOWMAR said:
I read it the same as Bob. It isn't worth 4400 pesos to teach the guy a meaningless lesson. If you press charges he keeps the 4400 and then his friends threaten you to drop the charges anyway. Put the money towards some bars on the windows,

You right. I mean if I did not I be out of the cash. The guy got evicted anyways from the apartments building.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Compensation and Sweet Revenge

Last week I had my cell phone stolen out of my drawer in the hotel. (Ironic since I was just talking about 2 guys that were in my store that day to buy cell phones because their phones were stolen) I didn't notice the phone missing until the last nite because this was a phone I only used at the NY airport and was planning on using the following day on my return.

I reported it to security who gave me the usual BS. When security refused to give me a copy of the report because they need "48 hours to investigate" I said lets go to the police. Thought it would force his hand. He says ok I'll go with you. Usual BS at police until he finds out I own a store in SD and he talks to one of my employees on the phone. They exchange numbers. Back at the hotel the next day manager (who I know )says lets get together and talk before you return to NY. We have a private chat in his office and I tell him my plan for Monday when I'm on my home turf and what I plan to do.

OK he says give me 2 or 3 days and I'll call your store if I can do something for you.

Yesterday's call -3nights, penthouse suite overlooking the water, all meals on them.

So, should I reveal the name of the hotel? No, not necessary since we settled it betweeen us and I'm sure that someone who stole the phone will be caught by the hotel staff.I made a deal just as the poster did.

stillcantbelieveithappenedtome.

JOHN

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If he presses charges, the guy gets out after a few days anyway. No real punishment for the thugs here unless the thug robs a connected guy. Then the police beat him up good. If the guy presses charges and the thief goes to jail for long time (lets say), then his buddies and family might take revenge for not dropping the charges after the victim was fully reimbursed of the loss. So it’s a double edge sword.
AZB

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
johne said:
. We have a private chat in his office and I tell him my plan for Monday when I'm on my home turf and what I plan to do.
JOHN
Over a cell phone???? What were you going to do? Put out a contract to have the maid whacked? For the time you spent with security, going to the police station and dealing with the hotel manager, I would have rather put in a claim with my homeowner's policy.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One of the local watchmen (who happens to really watch!!) caught a guy loaded with stuff. The guy pulled a knife and the watchman slugged him with the butt of his shotgun, breaking two ribs. The thief was hauled into the cops, and complained about being beat up by the watchman. The cops come and pick up the watchman on assault charges!
However, the watchman has a very highly placed brother (general in fact), and things were taken care of quickly. It turned out that the thief had 31 sheets at the Police .....:p:p:p
\
HBHBHB :D:D:D

Sep 19, 2005
Hillbilly said:
The guy pulled a knife and the watchman slugged him with the butt of his shotgun, breaking two ribs. The thief was hauled into the cops, and complained about being beat up by the watchman. The cops come and pick up the watchman on assault charges!
HBHBHB :D:D:D

that why when he pulls a knife in a gun fight

darwins theory of evolution kicks in!!!!!!!!! and then there are no charges being filed by that ex person

bob