New Help/advice on sale of real estate in D.R.

lexnjny

Jan 26, 2006
Hi All,

I reside in the United States, New Jersey. I am half dominican and I am about to sell a house I have in the Capital, Santo Domingo. Its located by JFK Ave and Nunes de caceres.

I plan on using remax to sell the house. Since it is hard to trust any body, I would like some suggestions or recommedations on this process being that the laws are so different in the Dominican Republic and not as in order than United States.

Any recommedations on using remax?
What commission is resonable to the realtor?
Should I be careful with any scams or anything to that effect?

Any recommendations on a American attorney in D.R. who speaks english and spanish and is trust worthy?

Please help. I am a dominican/american and dont want to be takin advantaged of.

If all goes good, I would like to reinvest my capital gains into D.R.

ThankYou guys

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Like you got no responce,seems no one really knows this one.Im going with remax plus two other agents,thier rates are 5% BUT THATS LAW!!!!.FIND yourself a good mouthpiece here to do your legals,and good luck.

macar

Feb 22, 2006
I have recently bought an apt. in sosua....the closing is around the first week in March. I will be needing some renovation done to the apt. and have been told by the realtor that they have some contractors which they will give me the names of. My major concern is finding reputable and experienced contractors who I can rely on and trust.

Does anyone know of a reputable company...one which you have used and been happy with? Please if so, pass on the information.

Much thanks.
Macar

palmiche

Mar 26, 2005
macar said:
I have recently bought an apt. in sosua....the closing is around the first week in March. I will be needing some renovation done to the apt. and have been told by the realtor that they have some contractors which they will give me the names of. My major concern is finding reputable and experienced contractors who I can rely on and trust.

Does anyone know of a reputable company...one which you have used and been happy with? Please if so, pass on the information.

Much thanks.
Macar

Construction trades are ranked alongside Auto mechanics, Used/new car salespeople and lawyers. Hard to find anyone happy with what they do! The so-called "reputable and reliable" in the DR is 5 notches below Nortamerican/European standards. My recommendation is become "handyman" and do the work yourself and enroll your spouse in case you need to blame someone.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Wow, I SO Disagree with that . We North Americans Do NOT know the "tricks of the trade" here. I almost bought a great deal on Paint yesterday and every Dominican here told me the stuff is real junk . And there aren't too many north americans that can do the mecla work . Things are done differently here and prices fluctuate depending on your accent in Spanish ! You NEED experience.

I Do agree though that it is also necessary to be careful because everyone here is a builder or has a cousin that is a Maestro !

palmiche said:
Construction trades are ranked alongside Auto mechanics, Used/new car salespeople and lawyers. Hard to find anyone happy with what they do! The so-called "reputable and reliable" in the DR is 5 notches below Nortamerican/European standards. My recommendation is become "handyman" and do the work yourself and enroll your spouse in case you need to blame someone.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
We have a great contractor in Puerto Plata. He has done alot of work for us over the past 5 years including building a second story on to our house.

I am not sure if Sosua is too far for him, but let me know when you want to work started an type and I can check with him.