Internet Access - Costs

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I have done a search on this however I am looking for some up to date costs.

How much is it to get internet access at home.....what's the monthly fee?

How much is the set up cost - including modem cost?

How many different internet service providers are there and how do they differ in cost and quality?

Lastly......how long does it take to get set up.....dominican time?! ;)

Thanks in advance for your advice
Daydream

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The biggest provider is Verizon and it has a number of plans. First you decide if you want dial-up or flash (dsl), then you decide which plan you want. The more you pay, the more services, local calls and computer minutes you get for no additional charge.

Some people get installation immediately, others wait a week or more. There is no logical explanation as to why the difference.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I had dial up changed to flash about 5 months ago with verizon and it took them 2 weeks to get it up and running. Took me 2 months to get my dial up charges taken off my bill as they like to double bill if they think they can get away with it. The difference between dial up and flash - flash is great and you don't want anything to do with dial up.

Rick

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
The only problem are prices, very expensive between the internet service and telephone service will cost about 3,000 Dominican Pesos per month, arround 80?s US dollars.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
riravaga said:
The only problem are prices, very expensive between the internet service and telephone service will cost about 3,000 Dominican Pesos per month, arround 80?s US dollars.

There are lots of options. I have flash and recently reduced my bill by RD$1000 a month by going to a different option. Still have unlimited internet time, however. Now I pay RD$3,000 or less including long distance and calls to cellular phones. In my latest bill of about RD$3000, more than RD$700 is for calls to cell phones, most of them not urgent.

That is with flash (dsl). If I had dial-up, the bill would be less.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I forgot the OP asked price. I pay monthly 995 for the VIP plan, 1,414 for the flash and my long distance is usually about 1,200 which always makes for about 900 for tax.

Rick

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When you are ready, find out what specials are being offered. Verizon always has specials. Some for new customers, some for customers who want to upgrade, and even options for people who want to reduce their cost. These specials are short lived and replaced by others. So be sure to find out what is available at the time you request service.

aos

Dec 10, 2003
Here's my solution for DSL.
Verizon offers Flash DSL for the following;
Offer 1: Flash 256kbps (speed increases to 384kbps after 1 year. an enticement to keep the service)
installation cost: self installation
rental mensual: RD$1100
It's not fast but it is faster than dialup.
Since you must have telephone service in order to have DSL then you take the least costly plan from Verizon, namely -
telephone plan: Plan Hogar 500 (gives you 500 minutes a month .The cheapest Plan.)
Installation cost: RD$1000
rental mensual: RD$495
These are from Verizon price sheet *
(Estos precios no incluyen impuestos) That's right you must also add on taxes !!
That done you can sign up with ViaTalk (www.viatalk.com) for voip and for $16.00 per month you can make unlimited calls. If you run a business or desire to stay in close contact with friends and relatives in the States this is the way to go.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I thought that you need have a plan that has all local minutes free (VIP) for internet service, no matter if Dial up or Flash.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
wrong, you can have the "facil residencial" or "facil hogar" ...
I use it and have 200mn of free service. coupled with 384kb/s adsl...
I also blocked 0 and 1 numbers for an extra 100pesos...

ends up with about 2550pesos/month

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
riravaga said:
I thought that you need have a plan that has all local minutes free (VIP) for internet service, no matter if Dial up or Flash.

I just switche to a cheaper plan that gives me unlimited computer use but no VIP. Saving about RD$1,000/month in total charges

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Many thanks

Thank you all for your replies.

I am going to budget 2500-3000 pesos a mth for internet based on your advice.

Are you required to sign up for a minimum of one year or can you pay monthly? If the latter is available, is there a penalty for cancellation?

Thanks again
Daydream

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
daydream said:
Thank you all for your replies.

I am going to budget 2500-3000 pesos a mth for internet based on your advice.

Are you required to sign up for a minimum of one year or can you pay monthly? If the latter is available, is there a penalty for cancellation?

Thanks again
Daydream

Depening on plan you need to sign for between 1-3 years.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
daydream said:

The period is more important for flash than for dial-up since it affects whether or not you pay for the router.