Current events in santiago.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Tonight hermanos Rosario will be playing at francifol cafe to celebrate gold gym's 5th aniversary. All gold gym members are free and guests would have to pay 300 pesos at the door. everyone is welcome to join the party.

Jumbo supermarket will be opening in santiago (if not opened up already), 1st floor, las colinas mall, in las colinas.
There you also have american class movie theaters. The mall should be up and running in a short time.

The light situation has improved tremendously in residential areas of santiago. Lights never seem to go out in my area (paraiso). I remember lights went out for 2 minutes yesterday, after 3 days. Lets see how long this lasts. We seem to have regular 3-4 hours blackouts in the center of the city (business area).

water is also 24/7 for a long time now.

It seems to rain alot whenever I hang my clothes outside to dry. It rained non stop since last night untill now.

Beer prices have gone up but ahibar seem to hold on to the same old prices. Thanks ahibar. Speaking of beers, I was right, Brahma is taking in even a bigger chunk of the beer market. Many people drink brahma all over santiago.

Shakabana disco has changed management but its still empty. I just don't know how long they will stay in business.

This is a long weekend and raining, seems like santiaguero will stay at home and not go away to beaches.

Finally and sadly, santiago's baseball team aguilas have lost the championship to santo domningo's tigres. Congratulations to them.
AZB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
You can thank my wife for the rain. Everytime she has my car washed it rains. I told her to just leave it dirty because the rain is getting me down.

She is going to the salon today though to get her hair done and this usually brings rain as well.

Speaking of jinxes you shouldn't brag about how good the lights are, you know there is only one possible result that can come from that...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Nice report, is the Hermanos Rosario concert going to be outside? Just curious, when they had tono rosario performing there, this past November, they blocked off the streets and held it outside, nice party all night, inside and out.

lem

Jan 27, 2006
question: can someone suggest a "low cost" hotel to spend three day in santiago .....feb. 17-20....range $50 - $60 USD. as much amenities as posible: a/c (trying to get best bang for buck in 3 days)...Thank you

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
lem said:
question: can someone suggest a "low cost" hotel to spend three day in santiago .....feb. 17-20....range $50 - $60 USD. as much amenities as posible: a/c (trying to get best bang for buck in 3 days)...Thank you
The standard recommendation for a low cost hotel that has air-conditioning, in Santiago, is Hotel Colonial. It is about $15US per night, including taxes.

lem

Jan 27, 2006
thank you. er.....perhaps would you know a letephone number, are reservations necessary, location (will look for on map).....

However, $15US does seem "very low"...not to tax you my friend, perhaps there is a list or directory available that I could reference?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am partial to Hotel Platino.
Rooms start at $35 for a single, a bit more for a double.

Tel. (809) 724-7576

PS: Yes Ed I am still here in heaven!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
lem said:
thank you. er.....perhaps would you know a letephone number, are reservations necessary, location (will look for on map).....

However, $15US does seem "very low"...not to tax you my friend, perhaps there is a list or directory available that I could reference?
Yes, $15US is very low (you did say your budget was $60US for three nights). Don't get your expectations up. It's a case of you get what you pay for, nothing more. Also, it's in a rundown area of town.

Here's the info:
Hotel Colonial
Calle Salvador Cucurullo 115
Santiago
(809) 247-3122​

There is another option. There is a gentleman that posts on DR1 that rents out a "Bed and Breakfast", here's more info:

It doesn't mention the price, but I remember it being very reasonable.

Last edited:

lem

Jan 27, 2006
again, thanks. question: which "fourum"/thread should i go to, re more details re hotels in santigo? it appears that I will need to do some more legwork to target what I am looking for.....my budget is $50-$60 USD.......a "nice" hotel. after "web" search, I am referred to 2 "Hodelpas" ....for sure, I know that there are more than 2.....seems like I simly need to focus my search. I am prepared to make hotel reservations (credit card), and am ready to call and arrange....just dont know which hotel to call....

Thanks again for you attention.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
hotel platino is the best deal. Just flip out your business card and tell them you are here on a convention. You will get a business rate.
AZB

MariposaAzul

Jan 17, 2006
Something different...

Dramas/Plays/Musicals/Concerts/ArtExhibits/
Balet/ClassicalMusic/Operas/Poetry/etc...........................................................................................................

Any schedules known????
Thanks!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
carnaval de santiago is worthless. Don't even waste your time on it.
AZB

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
AZB said:
carnaval de santiago is worthless. Don't even waste your time on it.
That said, do you have any information on when they have parades or other festivities?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
every sunday of febrary, from 3 or 4 pm till night.
This is the same schedule for la vega carnaval.
AZB

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Aftab.....What about "Zoom" ?

Drove by last nite and saw what looks to be some "new bar/disco" right around the corner from Shakabana. Whats your assessment as I am sure since you are never at the gym you may be there.....hahaha.

Best, Dave

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
AZB said:
every sunday of febrary, from 3 or 4 pm till night.
This is the same schedule for la vega carnaval.
AZB
Thanks for the info. Even though it might be boring to you, it sounds like it might be a viable alternative to La Vega.

Where exactly do the events take place in Santiago?