Hazoury, Cap Cana, And Bullish on the Future of the Dominican Tourism Industry

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The following article consits mostly of a lengthy interview with Ricardo Hazoury, head of Cap Cana. In addition to been the main player in Cap Cana, the Hazoury family, Dominicans of mainly Lebanese and Spanish roots, also own Aerodom, the company managing most Dominican airports, and which is also constructing El Catey, in Samana. The Hazourys are also heavily invested in the construction business, through Grupo Abrisa and Sinercon. They also own one of the most pretigious university in the country, UNIBE, which has the highest concentration of foreign students of any Dominican university, and a private school in Santo Domingo, MCSchool. They also own Inden, a clinic in Santo Domingo.

Interesting fact that he points out and which I would like to emphasize:

 55% of the investment in Cap Cana is been done by Dominicans (Grupo Leon Jimenez, Grupo Abrisa, (the umbrella company for the Hazoury family businesses), JCI Group, Sandra Ehlert, the Imbert brothers, lawyers, etc.,)

 The Hazoury family is already investing in Saman?, it owns a lot of land in the province and, through Aerodom, is constructing/will be managing El Catey airport.

 Cap Cana had a lot of difficulties in the beginning (one reason why I still do not discount AtlanticA out).

 Where the Hazourys invest other foreign and national investors follow.

 The Dominican tourism industry needs to diversify away from the all inclusive model, something I think it’s already doing at a remarkable rate. Let me just cite some of the resorts already under construction/expanding: Cap Cana,Las Terrenas CC, Costa Bayana (?), Playa Grande, Casa de Campo’s Los Altos ,expansion, a Cap Cana style marina at Punta Cana R&C, Los Corales, where it's rumured the Clintons may buy a house, etc….

And all the world class golf courses either planned or currently
been built: Pete Dye’s Hacienda and Tom Fazio’s Los Corales in Punta Cana R&C; Jack Niclaus’ Punta Espada, Los Iguanos and Las Palmas in Cap Cana (two more are planned); Nick Faldo’s course in Roco Ki, Arnold Palmer’s Punta AtlanticA and Jim Fazio’s The Cayon in Atlantica (?); almost certain expansion at Playa Grande (a second course posibly, now that Playa Grande Holding is set to take over); Andy Dye’s course in Las Terrenas CC; Sea Horse Ranch’s future course; and Nick Prices’ Punta Blanca, already in construction and set to open later this year as the first public course in the B?varo area .

Stuff I like to Point out:

Our A.I.’s are diversifying, becoming more upscale, at an accelerated pace ( i.e.. Sol Melia’s Paradisus Palmas Real, Majestic Colonial, Bahia Principe’s future hotels in Samana, Sivory, Altabella Hotels Hilton in Santo Domingo, Westin in Macao, etc.)

Demand of both upscale residential resorts and World Class golf resorts is and will continue to be extremely high for at least another fifteen years; the period in which Baby Boomers, with their high propencity to consume and demand for quality, is set to retire. D.R. is positioning itself as the leading country in the Caribbean catering to both markets.

D.R. Tourism Industry still has a lot of capacity for growth, i.e., Punta Cana , Samana, Bayahibe, Juan Dolio, Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata are still ripe for more investment.

The following areas hold a lot of potential: Jacabacoa, from Cofresi through Montecristi all the way to the northern border with Haiti, Playa Grande and its surroundings, Miches/Costa Esmeralda, the south coast, mainly Perdernales and Barahona, Uvero Alto.

Other possibly important, but not concrete, development I have heard of: Bonita Village and a horde of other small residential communities in Saman?, Puerto Colon, Costa Bayana, Aquazul, Punta Perla, Las Arenas Blanca Beach Resort, Sea Tree and Baoba Beach near Playa Grande (both seem to be under construction).

Finally I would like point out the umpresedented expansion of airservice to D.R from North America: from San Francisco to D.C area,and Canada to Fort Lauderdale (i.e. Air Canada, Spirit, Continental, United Airlines. O, and the recently announced partnership between Dominican investors and Lufthansa for a Carrier that can do both domestic and international flights. What next, Punta Cana airport a regional hub?

My prediction: D.R. is moving on up-- a future gold rush of investment into resorts and more upscale A.I, following the success of others like Roco KI, Sol Melia, Bahia Principe, and, more importantly, Cap Cana.

If anyone finds something particularly interesting in the article, please highlight it here like I did.

O.K. now I would love to get the insights and opinions of the rest of DR1… what do you guys think?

What’s the future like for your favorite part of the country?

P.S. No, I am not Nal;).

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
BARAHONA. – The Tourism Ministry is confident that this year this souther province will begin to finally develop its vast tourism potential, with the announcement by foreign capitalists that they will invest in its structure.

For this year, it is expected in Barahona the construction of 700 hotel rooms, a marina, a hotel in his first phase and spa of hot springs.

The marina will be built in the area of the hotel Casita Blanca, located in lands of the old military airbase, whereas the spa will be built in village at Canoa.

According to Jose Santana, Tourism vice-minister for southern zone, the [thermal] spa is already being built.

“There is an Italian company which already deposited the letter of intent to build 350 rooms and an international convention center in front of the property Brizas del Caribe," said Santana.

The “Pearl of the South,” with temperatures which vary widely from its extremely low and high elevations, also boasts unrivaled attractions such as a salt lake, rushing streams, exotic forests and impressive beaches.

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
aegap, that was quite the OP, very well researched. It's almost as if you are somehow connectet to the people/projects.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
aegap said:
The following article consits mostly of a lengthy interview with Ricardo Hazoury, head of Cap Cana. In addition to been the main player in Cap Cana, the Hazoury family, Dominicans of mainly Lebanese and Spanish roots, also own Aerodom, the company managing most Dominican airports, and which is also constructing El Catey, in Samana. The Hazourys are also heavily invested in the construction business, through Grupo Abrisa and Sinercon. They also own one of the most pretigious university in the country, UNIBE, which has the highest concentration of foreign students of any Dominican university, and a private school in Santo Domingo, MCSchool. They also own Inden, a clinic in Santo Domingo.

Interesting fact that he points out and which I would like to emphasize:

 55% of the investment in Cap Cana is been done by Dominicans (Grupo Leon Jimenez, Grupo Abrisa, (the umbrella company for the Hazoury family businesses), JCI Group, Sandra Ehlert, the Imbert brothers, lawyers, etc.,)

 The Hazoury family is already investing in Saman?, it owns a lot of land in the province and, through Aerodom, is constructing/will be managing El Catey airport.

 Cap Cana had a lot of difficulties in the beginning (one reason why I still do not discount AtlanticA out).

 Where the Hazourys invest other foreign and national investors follow.

 The Dominican tourism industry needs to diversify away from the all inclusive model, something I think it’s already doing at a remarkable rate. Let me just cite some of the resorts already under construction/expanding: Cap Cana,Las Terrenas CC, Costa Bayana (?), Playa Grande, Casa de Campo’s Los Altos ,expansion, a Cap Cana style marina at Punta Cana R&C, Los Corales, where it's rumured the Clintons may buy a house, etc….

And all the world class golf courses either planned or currently
been built: Pete Dye’s Hacienda and Tom Fazio’s Los Corales in Punta Cana R&C; Jack Niclaus’ Punta Espada, Los Iguanos and Las Palmas in Cap Cana (two more are planned); Nick Faldo’s course in Roco Ki, Arnold Palmer’s Punta AtlanticA and Jim Fazio’s The Cayon in Atlantica (?); almost certain expansion at Playa Grande (a second course posibly, now that Playa Grande Holding is set to take over); Andy Dye’s course in Las Terrenas CC; Sea Horse Ranch’s future course; and Nick Prices’ Punta Blanca, already in construction and set to open later this year as the first public course in the B?varo area .

Stuff I like to Point out:

Our A.I.’s are diversifying, becoming more upscale, at an accelerated pace ( i.e.. Sol Melia’s Paradisus Palmas Real, Majestic Colonial, Bahia Principe’s future hotels in Samana, Sivory, Altabella Hotels Hilton in Santo Domingo, Westin in Macao, etc.)

Demand of both upscale residential resorts and World Class golf resorts is and will continue to be extremely high for at least another fifteen years; the period in which Baby Boomers, with their high propencity to consume and demand for quality, is set to retire. D.R. is positioning itself as the leading country in the Caribbean catering to both markets.

D.R. Tourism Industry still has a lot of capacity for growth, i.e., Punta Cana , Samana, Bayahibe, Juan Dolio, Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata are still ripe for more investment.

The following areas hold a lot of potential: Jacabacoa, from Cofresi through Montecristi all the way to the northern border with Haiti, Playa Grande and its surroundings, Miches/Costa Esmeralda, the south coast, mainly Perdernales and Barahona, Uvero Alto.

Other possibly important, but not concrete, development I have heard of: Bonita Village and a horde of other small residential communities in Saman?, Puerto Colon, Costa Bayana, Aquazul, Punta Perla, Las Arenas Blanca Beach Resort, Sea Tree and Baoba Beach near Playa Grande (both seem to be under construction).

Finally I would like point out the umpresedented expansion of airservice to D.R from North America: from San Francisco to D.C area,and Canada to Fort Lauderdale (i.e. Air Canada, Spirit, Continental, United Airlines. O, and the recently announced partnership between Dominican investors and Lufthansa for a Carrier that can do both domestic and international flights. What next, Punta Cana airport a regional hub?

My prediction: D.R. is moving on up-- a future gold rush of investment into resorts and more upscale A.I, following the success of others like Roco KI, Sol Melia, Bahia Principe, and, more importantly, Cap Cana.

If anyone finds something particularly interesting in the article, please highlight it here like I did.

O.K. now I would love to get the insights and opinions of the rest of DR1… what do you guys think?

What’s the future like for your favorite part of the country?

P.S. No, I am not Nal;).

While there is a lot of truth to what you say, I have a few comments.

1) Punta Cana will never be a 'regional hub' until it has infrastructure like a town or a city.

2) Roco Ki is not a success story, until its operating successfully. It certainly has to open first.

3) Cap Cana is moving like a snail

However, I dont deny the potential of the DR especially east coast, long term future with golf resorts certainly a big driver. Rest of the country shows much potential for US market which has not discovered low prices throughout the DR. There are many Americans who cannot afford PC, but can afford the north coast hotels and property. Lack of advertising, air lift, and tour operators the current problem there, but it can be overcome. In addition, with marinas opening all over the north and east coast, there will be a yachting/boating boom in the DR in the next 10 years, attracting a whole another client mostly American. This will help the overall important US image of the DR, however, DR needs to change its boat entry procedures with customs/immigration/port authority/navy people - (read: extortion when you arrive by boat) before this can happen. There are some positive signs in this issue, it remains to be seen whether changes will be implemented.

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Conchman said:
While there is a lot of truth to what you say, I have a few comments.

1) Punta Cana will never be a 'regional hub' until it has infrastructure like a town or a city.

How about Pueblo Bavaro? ...You don't need a city in order to transfer people from one plane to another. Punta Cana also has many advantages over San Juan, like immigration/security requirements, cost of labor, and lower airport charges (?)

2) Roco Ki is not a success story, until its operating successfully. It certainly has to open first.
So far it has been a resounding sucess. Here is what has been done as of three month agos.

3) Cap Cana is moving like a snail
Do mainly to its unpresedented size and like Hazoury points out in the interview, to unpredictable exceptions like 9/11 and the Baninter collapse

However, I dont deny the potential of the DR especially east coast, long term future with golf resorts certainly a big driver. Rest of the country shows much potential for US market which has not discovered low prices throughout the DR. There are many Americans who cannot afford PC, but can afford the north coast hotels and property. Lack of advertising, air lift, and tour operators the current problem there, but it can be overcome. In addition, with marinas opening all over the north and east coast, there will be a yachting/boating boom in the DR in the next 10 years, attracting a whole another client mostly American. This will help the overall important US image of the DR, however,
DR needs to change its boat entry procedures with customs/immigration/port authority/navy people - (read: extortion when you arrive by boat) [...]

I doubt those yachtmen at the Casa de Campo face any of these inconviniences, neather will those at any "destination" like Cap Cana
[...]before this can happen. There are some positive signs in this issue, it remains to be seen whether changes will be implemented.

More analysis welcomed

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
SANTO DOMINGO.- El embajador de Italia en Rep?blica Dominicana, Giorgio Sfara, ha revelado que empresarios de su pa?s est?n interesados en invertir 400 millones de d?lares en un complejo tur?stico en la provincia de Barahona[...]

Last edited:

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
bullish on future of the dominican tourism industry

i was recently in juan dolio in december a lot of new construction was taking place eg. costa del sol for the metro countr club hemingway resorts du u think this area has potential to attract more tourism

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Sol Melia fully acquires Dominican Republic Palma Real resort

In a statement, the Spanish hotel group said business at the resort so far this year is beating the company's estimates [Forbes]

I forgot to mention NH Hoteles US$100mln planned joint venture investment in Cap Cana,

[Cap Cana] is the largest tourist property project in the Caribbean, in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, just 10 minutes away from the [Punta Cana] international airport. [...] CAP CANA is one of the most attractive places of unique natural beauty in the Caribbean. It will have an exclusive beach club (already operating) and 6 18-hole golf courses, 3 of which are being designed by Jack Nicklaus, the best golfer of all time.

[...]The NH Hoteles group has a great deal of experience of success in developments of this kind, such as Sotogrande, [...] the best known luxury residential, golf and tourist complex in southern Europe.

(source: NH Hoteles press release)

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Can Tell The Difference!

Between a post that is intended to "Inform",and a post that is intended to "Hype"! This is the latter!
Posts that start out "spinning" to the positive all the aspects of an investment project,etc.,and then go on to ask: "What do you think?" and the like are just "fishing" to keep the thread going inorder to continue to hype someones personal agenda!

"I'm not "Nals" either,I tell the truth as it is,not as I want it to be!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I don't think anyone has a personal agenda here CC, the OP is posting news and info that is freely available. Plus he's posted on a number of other topics.

The thread is about the Dominican tourism industry, what's happening and what's not.
Let's keep it like that.

I think the only marina we are going to see on the north coast is the one at Ocean World. They are serious people and have made a serious investment in the future of tourism in the DR. Plus you can go there today and actually see people working and building the marina.

Casa de Campo is solid and a benchmark for many others, enough said.

Cap Cana is slow, but it's moving and people are investing. Despite the Aerodom scandal in the news the past week, I feel the future will be good for Cap Cana.

Sol Melia are serious people and get things done.
Look no further than their resorts here and the Palma Real project.

The east coast has a massive amount of construction going on.
Some places have 24hr building permits.

My biggest question is the sustainability of many of these projects.
In terms of tourist numbers, quality of tourist, infrastructure and the environment.

For an "outstanding" right up on sustainable tourism, look no further than this entry in the "Green Teams" blog. Plus you can download the pdf written by Jaime Moreno.

http://dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=environment&e_id=1454

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Criss Colon said:
Between a post that is intended to "Inform",and a post that is intended to "Hype"! This is the latter!
Posts that start out "spinning" to the positive all the aspects of an investment project,etc.,and then go on to ask: "What do you think?" and the like are just "fishing" to keep the thread going inorder to continue to hype someones personal agenda!

"I'm not "Nals" either,I tell the truth as it is,not as I want it to be!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I have my thesis and will use my persuasive skills to denfend it.
Now if you disagree with my thesis, instead of cheap shots on my person/motive you should do as Conchman did (with whom I agree regarding the Dominican goverment hindering the tourism industry from achieving its full potential): -- state why you disagree and cite/give good evidences to back it up; advance it with good and sound arguments, not cheap shots on my person/motive
....promoting DR is my agenda!

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Robert said:
[....]
My biggest question is the sustainability of many of these projects.
In terms of tourist numbers, quality of tourist, infrastructure and the environment.

Robert, that's the good thing about upscale resorts like Cap Cana: They generally hire their own top notch PR firm and/or Ad agency, they conduct their own publicity and advertising, as Casa de Campo and PUNTACANA Resort & Club do. They target the quality tourist (The Clintons and Bush are high quality tourists, right?), they build their own high quality infrastuctures.

For an "outstanding" right up on sustainable tourism, look no further than this entry in the "Green Teams" blog. Plus you can download the pdf written by Jaime Moreno.
http://dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=environment&e_id=1454

"outstanding" indeed!
Keep it coming!

*To whom it may concern: If I'm in fact promoting your business, please PM me for further information on how to get me very well deserved/earned paycheck to College Park, Thank You in advance, sir.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I get To Express My Opinion Any Way I Choose!

I don't see any "Cheap Shots"! If you want some cheap shots,I can work on that!
I do love your "Holyer Than Thou" attitude! Fits!
CC

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
"Cap Cana will be a Village"

"Cap Cana is a village"
-According to this article in the French magazine "L'essentiel des Relations Internationales," when completed, Cap Cana will have 15,000 homes and will be able to accommodate an average population of 40,000. I believe that number to be higher than the current accommodation capacity of the entire Punta Cana region. Cap Cana will be a community about six times the size of Sotogrande, with better beaches and a larger marina if I may add. How's that for sustainable upscale quality tourism!

Last edited: