PUJ ATL : expirience with Delta

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
I chose Delta this time to fly from PUJ to Dallas via ATL, Spirit Airlines offered faster connections and more convienient departure from DFW, but I trust more Delta, so after several years of absence aboard DL aircraft once again I was welcomed by DL.

As always airline proved that its outstanding ontime performance is in its venes, all flights departed with 100% occuracy. 737-800 they use on ATL PUJ ATL has a good pitch in Y cabin, it is much bigger than on other aircrafts, the plane is very comfortable because of this point. No food is served on these flights, but I always said that the aircraft is not a restaurant, and by the way, americans need to lose weight, so thank you Delta for making travelling easier, without roasted chicken smell in the cabin. I think that variety of drinks should be a little bit more extenseive, but if someone likes to drink much while flying, bringing juices and drinks could be a solution.

So Delta's performance on scale 1 to 10 is 9.9, of course it is not the same Delta I used to fly with on transatlantic routes 10 years ago, but the airline deserved a recognition for being survivor and keeping high standarts.

I wish that one day I will see young flight attendants in DL, unfortunately now majority of the women I've seen were like senior citizens, but they do their best and I want to thank them. :eek:

Sep 20, 2003
Lost Glamor

Aviastar, I had to comment on your last point. I know this will seem shallow to some people, however...

Whatever happened to the airline stewardess? In the 50's and 60's, even into the early 1980's they were glamorous figures. I still remember the Chanel style suits and pill box hats they used to wear. Attractive girls.

I fly quite a bit and I've noticed that now they wear pants and shirts with epaulettes. They look more like Grey Hound bus drivers than anything else. Glamor replaced by blandness. The girls look frumpy.

I guess were living in an age of cut rate everything and dumpiness.

Last year I flew on Air Iceland. The girls wear the 1960's style outfits. Right down to the pillbox hats. They are really cute. I talked with one of the airline stewardess's while waiting to board my flight at the airport in Iceland. She was really happy with the costume. She talked about how it was "classic" and she even liked the hat!

Air France just introduced new airline stewardess uniforms in 2004. The French fashion designer Christian De la Croix designed them. They have a minimalist cut, but are really stylish. The girls on Air France look like airline stewardess's should look. I looked through an article in a French fashion magazine that hearlded the new Air France uniforms as a welcome return to past outfits.

The service on Air France is much, much better than any American airline I have ever flown on.

I'm not talking about "sexy", that's not it. This is about lost glamor, style.

Perhaps if the Dominicans ever get back to having an airline of their own, Oscar de la Renta could design the girls outfits?

I miss the airlines of the past, even the ones of my relatively short lifetime. Why must American airline companies dress their girls up like truck drivers?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
:rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: (Thanks Rellosk...)

Does anyone have photos of a Dominican airline stewardess from the CDA Airline? 40's? 50's? 60's? Right up into the 90's?

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Even some of the middle eastern airlines have top notch young girls working in sexy islamic outfits. I agree with Op that airlines in USA have lost the glamour. This egual opportunity concept has been dragged too far. Lets bring back the young sexy girls back in the planes.
AZB

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
I flew with Transaero Airlines a week ago and I assure you, that russian fligh attendants on this airline look like professional models, all 20-25 years old, good uniform, perfect makeup and great hair style. Maybe one day US carriers will bring again beautiful ladies to their planes, if there are none in USA, they can hire girls from Europe, like Emirates does, arab women won't work in the skies, so they hire in other countries

Last edited:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
aviastar said:
I chose Delta this time to fly from PUJ to Dallas via ATL, Spirit Airlines offered faster connections and more convienient departure from DFW, but I trust more Delta, so after several years of absence aboard DL aircraft once again I was welcomed by DL.

As always airline proved that its outstanding ontime performance is in its venes, all flights departed with 100% occuracy. 737-800 they use on ATL PUJ ATL has a good pitch in Y cabin, it is much bigger than on other aircrafts, the plane is very comfortable because of this point. No food is served on these flights, but I always said that the aircraft is not a restaurant, and by the way, americans need to lose weight, so thank you Delta for making travelling easier, without roasted chicken smell in the cabin. I think that variety of drinks should be a little bit more extenseive, but if someone likes to drink much while flying, bringing juices and drinks could be a solution.

So Delta's performance on scale 1 to 10 is 9.9, of course it is not the same Delta I used to fly with on transatlantic routes 10 years ago, but the airline deserved a recognition for being survivor and keeping high standarts.

I wish that one day I will see young flight attendants in DL, unfortunately now majority of the women I've seen were like senior citizens, but they do their best and I want to thank them. :eek:

So getting back on topic ;) , lol, I strongly agree that Delta provides excellent service. In times when complaints in the travel industry are rampant, it is good to be able to commend the good service one receives. (you can actually submit a positive review online, I took the time after my last JFK-SDQ trip, it was great).

Sep 20, 2003
I flew on DELTA on my recent trip to the DR. The service was alright, nothing special. The peanuts they gave me for my inflight snack were okay.:tired:

My return flight was , as usual,a mess. My flight plan was a mess. I was bumped from my return flight in Atlanta and worst of all, my luggage was lost! The last time I flew DELTA to France, 2005, DELTA managed to lose my suitcases there as well. I had to spend the night in Atlanta at a hotel. The next day when I arrived at the airport to board my return flight, I was told my suitcase had been found, but sent off to a hotel in Atlanta.

I have flown DELTA a few times, and they have always lost at least one suitcase. The DELTA employees I dealt with in lost luggage department were also extremely rude and unprofessional. One of the DELTA girls in the terminal witnessed the behavior and directed me to the DELTA supervisor for Atlanta. She was very mice and helpful. I got my suitcase back a couple of days later in North Carolina.

In all fairness, most of the DELTA people were very professional. The Atlanta supervisor even called my home in North Carolina a few days later and apologized to me. And I did get my suitcase back. Eventually. DELTA placed most of the blame for my flight schedule problems on American Express platnium Travel.(I agree with most of that, but the lost luggage had nothing to do with my AMEX travel schedule)

My DELTA experience in France was an absolute nightmare. I only flew on DELTA because it they only airline offering International flights out of the local airport. Next time I'll pay the extra money and fly American Airlines.

I have many different Airlines. DELTA is the only one I can remember ever having any problems with. My bad luck.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
joel pacheco said:
I flew on DELTA on my recent trip to the DR. The service was alright, nothing special. The peanuts they gave me for my inflight snack were okay.:tired:

My return flight was , as usual,a mess. My flight plan was a mess. I was bumped from my return flight in Atlanta and worst of all, my luggage was lost! The last time I flew DELTA to France, 2005, DELTA managed to lose my suitcases there as well. I had to spend the night in Atlanta at a hotel. The next day when I arrived at the airport to board my return flight, I was told my suitcase had been found, but sent off to a hotel in Atlanta.

I have flown DELTA a few times, and they have always lost at least one suitcase. The DELTA employees I dealt with in lost luggage department were also extremely rude and unprofessional. One of the DELTA girls in the terminal witnessed the behavior and directed me to the DELTA supervisor for Atlanta. She was very mice and helpful. I got my suitcase back a couple of days later in North Carolina.

In all fairness, most of the DELTA people were very professional. The Atlanta supervisor even called my home in North Carolina a few days later and apologized to me. And I did get my suitcase back. Eventually. DELTA placed most of the blame for my flight schedule problems on American Express platnium Travel.(I agree with most of that, but the lost luggage had nothing to do with my AMEX travel schedule)

My DELTA experience in France was an absolute nightmare. I only flew on DELTA because it they only airline offering International flights out of the local airport. Next time I'll pay the extra money and fly American Airlines.

I have many different Airlines. DELTA is the only one I can remember ever having any problems with. My bad luck.

I guess when you flight to Paris is always a mess...Air France Is the Ground Handler for Delta in Paris, the Baggage agent has a Union there and always they has some very sirious problem with the sortation sistem to sort all bags.

As a regular Air France always left about 20 bags per Flights.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have been flying delta foir well over 15 years and never had my baggage left behind. I have always been treated with respect even right after 911. Best thing about delta is their precision maintenance of their aircrafts. Their airfrafts are mostly boeing and in perfect condition. I feel very safe with delta.
AZB

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Ditto here, AZB

I dumped AA after many years of flying with them because of their equipment and lousy service... I'm a DELTA MAN now..

see ya in July

Zues (primus inter pares):cheeky:

Sep 20, 2003
DELTA has been an interesting experience for me.

When I flew to France in 2005 the plane in North Carolina had mechanical problems and the flight was delayed for at least 2 hours(at least). My flight out of Atlanta was also delayed for mechanical problems(I arrived late so my wait was shorter than it was for others there). I believe(from memory) in North Carolina they even had to bring in a different plane because of mechanical problems. I'm not complaining about that, I would rather wait for repairs than be killed in a plane crash.

I landed in Paris, then switched to Air France and flew South to Bordeaux. Air France told me that the suitcases never arrived at the Paris terminal. Apparently it was DELTA's error. I have to admit, I was so tired from the flights and all the delays I didn't care. I recieved the news so blandly that the Air France girl restated the point at least three times, I guess she thought her English wasn't correct. I did get my suitcases, but I had to return to the airport in Bordeaux to retrieve them later. The Air France employees were extremely polite and professional. I'll definately fly Air France again.

I really don't mind the flight delays. I do mind about having my suitcases lost. And considering that this has happened repeatedly on DELTA is not good(at least for me).

I have flown on many different airlines. I have never had any of my suitcases lost on any of the others.

The best airlines I have ever flown on are Turkish Airlines and Croatian Airlines. DELTA is the only one that has been a real disappointment for me. I did fly TWA in early September 2001(about a week before 9/11) and got stuck in the plane, on the runway(JFK) for about 3 hours. The plane became hot as an oven. I don't remember what the problem was, bu the captain was apologetic and the flight attendents served drinks while we waited. That really didn't bother me, I was so happy to be returning to France I didn't care.

The average American airline has been cut back so far that I don't expect good inflight meals or decent service. I do expect to have my luggage arrive at the same time I do. And if there is a problem, to be treated politely. I have never been rude, raised my voice, or used profanity to an airline employee.

I doubt I will give DELTA another chance. I really don't enjoy having to go through all the trouble of trying to locate my luggage after every flight. I have flown American Airlines to Haiti and have been very happy with the service.

Last edited: