Looking for Report on Reina Cumayasa

Anxious Traveller

Jan 27, 2006
My husband and I are taking a trip in two weeks, and we are staying at the Reine Cumuyasa in La Romana. I should have checked the reviews before booking but, I didnt. I can't seem to find too many positive reviews of this place. I'm afraid we might have gotten a raw deal on our package. Has anyone ever stayed there and if so, what are your comments on the place, THanks.

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Just read some reviews

Anxious Traveller said:
My husband and I are taking a trip in two weeks, and we are staying at the Reine Cumuyasa in La Romana. I should have checked the reviews before booking but, I didnt. I can't seem to find too many positive reviews of this place. I'm afraid we might have gotten a raw deal on our package. Has anyone ever stayed there and if so, what are your comments on the place, THanks.

According to expedia, it is rated as an 2.5. And your right, the reviews on tripadvisors do not look to promissing. But there is only 6 reviews that I could find, but all those reviews are only their own personal reviews. There is not enough of them to really get a true pictures, for all we know, they were expecting something else. We have been to several places, and it is all what you make of it, everybody's opinion will always vary depending on your own expectations.

Just go have fun, and please post a review when you come back.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Since the truly horrible in the DR are indeed truly horrible and beyond what most North Americans can imagine any place sold as a package should be at least adequately clean and cool and safe to not be worth cancelling. Still research then buy is always a good idea. There are a surprising number of people here who do this the wrong way around. Why stress yourself up on something you then cannot avoid is a bad way to start a vacation.

It IS a Barcelo property and they are not slumlords. Drink enough Barcelo rum and you won't care anyway :)

Well after reading a few like this:

2005 "Not So Bad"
2005 "This hotel should not be rated!!"
2005 "Adjust your expectations"
2005 "Avoid like the plague!"
2005 "Cancelled my Reservation"
2005 "It coulda been a contender"

These are certainly not even faint praise. More like fainting instead of praise.

Worth a read: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...mayasa_Golf-La_Romana_Dominican_Republic.html

Notable Quotes: The same chafing dishes
with the same assortment of foods for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We
survived on buttered carrots and potatoes with onions for a
week. Guess what was on the buffet the day after the squid sat
untouched one evening. If you guessed deep fried squid then you know
what I'm talking about.

But hey - right here in DR1 is a 5* review less than a year old:

http://www.dr1.com/reviews/details.php?hotel_id=646

Worst comes to worst you leave and stay in a hotel LRM or Juan Dolio and then go back for your flight. This could turn out to be fun, like Survivor or Lost.

Last edited:

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Anxious Traveller said:
Hello,

Reina Cumayasa in La Romana is being offered as a destination by "GoTravelDirect" from Ottawa for 1 week AI at $749 CANADIAN per person.
Feb 02 and Feb 09.
Not a bad deal, consider if you want to book "flight only" is $729 CND from Ottawa to La Romana, for the same dates. On GoTravelDirect is posted as a 3.5 STARS, whatever that is.

WebDev

Anxious Traveller

Jan 27, 2006
Thanks for reponses

I am aware that this is a 3.5 star, offered by GoTravelDirect. They are the ones we booked with. And by the way, this is no longer part of Barcelo. They sold it to someone independant a few years ago. That is why we are worried about the negative comments about this place. It seems that it has deteriorated since then. But unfortunately we probably cannot change hotels at this rate, so I guess we will see when we get there. I will certainly post something when I get back and let everyone know of the outcome. I'm sure our trip will be great anyways. And if it's the pits, you can be sure that GoTravelDirect will hear from me.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Go with few expectations, that way hopefully you wont be too disappointed! Whatever, try to make the most fo your vacation and know that the sun will be shining and you will be drinking excellent DR rum!;)

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
places you can eat off of the AI

Anxious Traveller said:
I am aware that this is a 3.5 star, offered by GoTravelDirect. They are the ones we booked with. And by the way, this is no longer part of Barcelo. They sold it to someone independant a few years ago. That is why we are worried about the negative comments about this place. It seems that it has deteriorated since then. But unfortunately we probably cannot change hotels at this rate, so I guess we will see when we get there. I will certainly post something when I get back and let everyone know of the outcome. I'm sure our trip will be great anyways. And if it's the pits, you can be sure that GoTravelDirect will hear from me.

I have no idea, but maybe some locals here can steer you to some decent place to eat near your AI, if any. I could not leave home knowing the food was sure to be glorified compost, but that's just me.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Reina Cumayasa is a pretty isolated resort, nothing nearby...they would have to go to either La Romana or San Pedro, probably not advisable for a couple new to the DR and not Spanish speaking.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
JDJones said:
I've stayed there a few times.
It is a very nice place, beautiful facilities and surroundings, but thats it.
Isolated isn't the word. There's nothing around, and hardly even music to listen to if you're bored.
I second that, when you look at the resort from the road is NOTHING to the left and NOTHING to the right, for miles and miles...

WebDev

Jeff & Susan

Feb 7, 2006
re:Reina Cumayasa

Hey Anxious Traveller,
My wife and I are travelling like you with Go Travel Direct (6th time with this company) to the resort (1st time).
I can fully appreciate where you are coming from.
I have done alot of research on this place, seen pictures on google by typing in the name and clicking on images, basically all the same photos but a few others of the beach, reception and front of hotel and pool. I have not seen alot of positive reviews at all but they all say the same thing quiet, secluded and peaceful.
My wife and I both work in highly stressed jobs and are looking for some sun and relaxation. We have done the 24 hour a day all-inclusive hustle and bustle trip but this time we do not want that. Peace and quiet and Sun and Rum. I do not think any resort, 1 star to 5 star can get that wrong.
I received an email from Paul Gerace (he has some photos in the Image Gallery on the main page) and he has put my mind to rest saying the resort is just fine.
Also there is a great taxi service http://www.dominicantaxi.com/ and if you need to get away you have 6 cities within 1hour east or west.
We would be suggesting to get out of the resort and see the "true Dominican Republic" by visiting their local communities.
I hope this helps and I am a bit anxious as well but positive mindset helps alot.
Tripadvisor.com has posted a new review but this person
review started negatively right from the start due to a booking error and having to stay at Reina Cumayasa instaed of their selected hotel, no name of their original resort name to compare the two.
Please, please post your thoughts when you get back and please as well post at Debbie's website. http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

Have a blast.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I have stayed in this hotel before. If you are looking a place to sleep, it is fine. But if you are looking a place with a nice beach, please stay await from it.

Most of the rooms have a very nice view to the sea. My rating will be 2 stars

Anxious Traveller

Jan 27, 2006
Report On Reina Cumayasa, Dr

Well, my husband and I are back from the Dominican Republic. Our stay there was great. We spent 7 days - from Feb 9 to 16. The weather was great, a few clowdy days, but all in all, lots of sunshine. I was very concerned before leaving, but once there, it was OK. I would agree that it is a 3 star hotel. But the rooms were very clean, large, and I mean very large. King size bed, living room with TV, large balcony overlooking the ocean. I would rate the rooms at 4 star. What a beautiful site. When we first got there, the a/C in our room wasn't working. We requested someone to come and look at it, and instead, within 15 minutes we had another room with A/C working quite well. The beach is small, but that didn't bother us. The water was a beautiful green/aqua colour and it was never cold. Very clean. We spend all of our time at the beach. The pool is a good size. Don't forget, this is a small hotel, approx. 50-60 rooms. You must take this into consideration when booking. The service, well what can I say. We were welcomed and served like royalty. Sandy, the bartender, always filling up our glass with cold Presidente, rum or whatever you were drinking. Malta, Alexandra, Georgi and others who were there to entertain us, kept us busy with Salsa lessons everyday, spanish lessons, everyday, volleyball tournements. They were quite nice and appreciated their hospitality. As for the food, well the buffet always consisted of hot and cold food. Always made fresh every day. You always had a choice of a salad at lunch and/or supper with hot items such as rice, pasta, potatoes, chichen, fish, pork, beef, vegetables, plantains etc. The food was good. The only thing I would say negative about the food is that after 7 days, you get fed up with seeing the same things on the menu. We would make jokes with the people at our table, before going to serve ourselves. We would say, OK what shall we eat tonight, chicken, fish, pork beef, or pasta. It was always prepared in different ways, but we always new what was under the covers. Well at least it was good and fresh. Always fresh fruits, cereal, toast, eggs, sausage and bacon for breakast. So I must say, we ate well. Did not starve ourselves. First time travellers with Go Travel Direct, and I must say not the last time. THe service we had upon arriving at the airport was most impressive. A bus waiting for tourists for each hotel booked thru GoTravelDirect. Took us directly to our hotel and the next morning (friday) a representative greated us and explained the different excursions that were organized thru GTD. She was at our hotel I would say every second day. So if we had any concerns, she would try to resolve them for us immediately if she could. Her name was Anne-Michelle and she provided us with excellent service. Well I must say that our trip was a success. If you plan on going to DR, and want more info about Reina Cumayasa, please e-mail me at andhoule@videotron.ca and I will be happy to give you more details or even send you photos of the place. We've enjoyed it so much, it won't be our last trip to the DR. Next trip, Winter 2008.