The Real Dominican Diet?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Everywhere I go I meet people that tell me they have stomach problems...mucho acido or ulcers. I tell them that I believe it is primarily due to poor diet. They look at me strange. First off, I use the term diet and I believe they only relate that to dieting to lose weight. Anyway...that is another subject.

Dominicans eat a lot of fried foods, a lot of sugar, strong coffee, Goya seasonings, bread products, and I am sure I am missing one or two others.....oh yea...beer and rum. But primarily I want to focus on fried foods and food containing sugar. These two they consume in vast quantities.

I try to explain the concept of balancing acids and alkalines. I tell them that the two highest alkaline foods are Watermelon and Lemon/Lime. The second one makes them look at me like I am crazy. Lemon is not an acid? Surely I am mistaken. They say that their doctor tells them to stay away from foods like Lemons and drink lots of milk. MILK? Another no no.

I am convinced that this diet is killing them. Causing all kinds of problems. I want to discuss this here so that I may better understand the Dominican diet and to clear up any misconceptions I may have.

I have had some success convincing my wife's mother to change her diet. She nows stays away from fried foods and sugar. She has added more balance to her diet by eating more fresh vegetables and fruit. She still eats chicken with traditional seasonings and rice but in smaller portion and along with the veggies and fruit. Even more important I have her walking daily.

I believe that Dominicans can eat healthy diets without spending a lot of money. In fact, it may be less expensive.

what do you guys think?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I have seen that, in the RD, as in many "developing" countries, folks often think that processed foods are better, as they are newer.

Case in point: the use of formula for babies, ugh.

Of course, "Dominicans can eat healthy diets without spending a lot of money. In fact, it may be less expensive."

If they were to lay off of the Goya/MSG seasonings and the processed sugar stuffs, it WOULD be cheaper and healthier.

It may be that evil fried foods and evil processed sugar were less potent toxins when part of a previous diet which I assume included more fresh fruits and veggies, and less processed junk.

I don't know what to say about the ulcers. I haven't experienced one yet, but I may if Princess and La Barbie make a mockery of me at the Jello Mud Spelling Bee benefit (other thread, sorry).

katty

Mar 14, 2003
what I have been told and it works...is

When you have an upset stomach. The limon and salt. it works also does the bloody marys

May 31, 2005
I don't know about the goya seasoning. The cook in my house makes all of the sazones fresh every morning in the licuadora even before I wake up. We don't eat anything that is en lata. Everything is fresh.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Too much alcohol consumption causes plenty of liver problems in this country. Few people drink water, many drink juices (supposedly natural) yet the natural juice they sell here has more sugar than a bottle of coke. Dominicans love super sweet drinks. They even put sugar in coconut water.
most common stomach ulcer problems arise from over consumption of calmantes for headaches. Many dominican women take aspirins, tylanol and other calmantes just to deal with their headaches on daily basis. These medicine attack the stomach linning and eventually cause ulcer, not to mention liver and kidney problems.
AZB

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I have thought about this in my own household. It hasn't varied much based on whichever woman we have had working in the house, or with my wife cooking weekends either.

Salt: We use a box of salt here about every 2 or 3 months. Before I came to the DR, I would use a box of salt in about 2 years, mainly to salt the water for pasta so it would boil faster.

Do?a Gallina or otro Sazon: This stuff is almost all salt and/or msg. Nothing inthe DR gets cooked without this stuff, and without it, it has no "flavor" for them. If they don't use it, they seem to feel that they aren't taking good care of the people who will eat their food. I gave up harping on this long ago.

Cooking oil: Maybe a gallon a month here. I used to use maybe 1/2 gallon a year before I came to the DR, preferring to use a spoonful of water and whatever fat was on the meat to cook in. Again, I used oil in the water for pasta so it wouldn't boil over, not so much for cooking.

Fiber? Forget it. They peel everything, throwing away the good stuff. I've been here long enough I don't worry anymore about eating skins or peels. Most Dominicans won't eat citrus, they'll either juice it or just suck the fruit and leave the fiber. No wholegrain breads, just pan de agua. Yet, if someone did a survey, the majority of dominicans would agree they have a problem in the bathroom.

I think I know now how I've put on an extra 50 or 60 lbs living here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Carne frita ("bistec"), arroz y habichuelas (rice with oil, habichuelas with all sorts of salty stuff) shredded cabbage with vinegar and lim?n.(Lime, really).

Fried foods seem to be a major component, that is for sure. Leafy greens are not. Carrots are for juice, which is why you see these huge thick ones and not the long thin one in the supermarkts...The produce section in El Nacional is perhaps 1/2 the size of the bread/cookie/snack area...

HB :D:D

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Thank You AZB!

AZB said:
Too much alcohol consumption causes plenty of liver problems in this country. Few people drink water, many drink juices (supposedly natural) yet the natural juice they sell here has more sugar than a bottle of coke. Dominicans love super sweet drinks. They even put sugar in coconut water.
most common stomach ulcer problems arise from over consumption of calmantes for headaches. Many dominican women take aspirins, tylanol and other calmantes just to deal with their headaches on daily basis. These medicine attack the stomach linning and eventually cause ulcer, not to mention liver and kidney problems.
AZB

This is a good warning for women, and men - Tylenol Takers - every. where. I had heard it before and forgotten, thank you very much.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree that the way some (most?) Dominicans prepare their food isn't very healthy - much too much oil, salt, artificial seasonings combined with drinks and sweets with too much sugar.

You can eat Dominican food in a healthier way if you cut down on these, and don't overdo it on the frituras. The basic bandera - rice, beans, meat/chicken/fish and a salad - is a perfectly balanced meal. There's definitely roughage in those beans.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
A Generational Thing?

Chirimoya said:
I agree that the way some (most?) Dominicans prepare their food isn't very healthy - much too much oil, salt, artificial seasonings combined with drinks and sweets with too much sugar.
Chirimoya said:
Chiri - Is this a generational thing, say in the last 20 years or so?

You can eat Dominican food in a healthier way if you cut down on these, and don't overdo it on the frituras. The basic bandera - rice, beans, meat/chicken/fish and a salad - is a perfectly balanced meal. There's definitely roughage in those beans.[/QUOTE]

I know a few (more than 2) older Dominican folks, REAL old, like 100 - who eat the healthier way, live way the hell up in the hills, walk all over, and amaze me - is it mostly in their old fashioned eating/cooking ways, do ya think?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
AZB said:
AZB

EXACTLY!!! :classic:

I was shocked at the amont of sugar that Dominicans put in their drinks!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I'm not interested in beating up on these people about their diet. I think it may be possible to show them how to live a life...stomach pain free. That bandera diet would be okay if it did not contain so much seasoning mix. When you have stomach problems you need to cut out the acid foods and focus on the alkalines.

Here, considering what the poor have access to, I would recommend as an example....a small portion of rotisserie chicken, a small portion of white rice...both acidic....then surround that with broccoli, cabbage, and a salad. Use plenty of lemon on the chicken and in salad. Have grapefruit, papaya, or mango for dessert. Snack on papaya, mango, melon, lemon dulce, etc.

when my wifes mom got sick she went to the doctor who prescribed six different medications to her. Total cost was $60 USD. Well I bought them. what else was I gonna do. She believed the doctor who also told her to drink milk. We brought her to my house and I enforced a good diet on her. I told her to trust me and not drink the milk. She went from spitting up blood with yellow eyes to no blood, no yellow eyes, a jump in energy, walking every day, and no more stomach problems.

I tried to design a diet around items she could afford...hoping she would continue. She had no idea about oils and seasonings. She seemed willing to learn something new and I'm thinking there are a lot of sick people out there who are sick for lack of good information. And a lot of goofy doctors who know no better or who have already been had by the drug companies.

I was thinking of putting together a pamplet and maybe teaching someone who speaks great spanish how to give a seminar on the subject. What do I got to lose, I'm not doing anything else here.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Potato_Salad said:
EXACTLY!!! :classic:

I was shocked at the amont of sugar that Dominicans put in their drinks!

They put sugar in the Jello. When I go to the DR , the first week is always hard for me. Two much sugar on the juice or too much salt in the rice, beans and meat. The coffee, forget it, you can see the sugar at the bottom of the cup and feel your lips sticking together.

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
i've always said- instead of kidney beans- soybeans- and whole rice instead of white- this country would be a whole different place.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To Snuffy

I had not noticed your post until now, and I have to tell you how impressed I am with your understanding of the problem, specially the part about PH balance.
Excellent post.

ColoradoGirl

Jan 30, 2005
I have to say I agree with all of you on what you are saying... However... I do believe that you can change a lot of it in your home. I know that this is about the Domincan diet, however since my maid cooks for me 5 days a week, I fall into that category.

I was also experiencing problems. Still am in some areas. I gained about 10-15 pounds when I moved here. Much in part to the rice, bean and beer. I had many stomach problems and fatigue like I have never had. I decided if I wanted to be able to function I needed to change my habits. Here is what I changed and it worked.

1. Working out. I hit the gym a minimum of 4 days a week. Thats a slow week. Hard? Yes! Worth it? Down almost 30 pounds!

2. Stopped eating red meat. It is so horrible here anyway that this was not very difficult.

3. Had my maid start using Pam spray for me. (I pick this up in bulk at Price Smart) A little more expensive, but I figure it saves me doctor bills. When oil is necessary I monitor her to very little. She now gets it.

4. Fish about 4 meals a week. This I also get in bulk at Price smart. So good and so healthy.

5. Rice intregal (wheat). Only eat white rice 1 -2 times per week. I love the salty Dominican rice occationally.

6. No milk! Only milk I take in is in my one cup of cafe con leche in the morning. Strong but I love it. One thing I cannot give up yet. This still causes me some problems in the morning. But not ready to give it up. It's only one cup:)

7. No alcohol. Wow... this one was a little harder but if I wanted to find the sources I need to eliminate my intake and gradually reintroduce into my diet.

8. My next thing I am going to do is stop eating pork. This is going to be very difficult as it is a staple here, but its a dirty meat anyway. I am down to once a week eating it.

9. Nothing Fried or sweet!

Over all, things are getting much better. I do also include a lot of salad with fat free Italian (again from Price Smart). I know it sounds like I eat like a monk, but with all the fruits and veggies here its great. I think you have much more variety with natural more healthier food here than in the states.

Just my 2 cents!

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
Great Diet!

:classic:
ColoradoGirl said:
I have to say I agree with all of you on what you are saying... However... I do believe that you can change a lot of it in your home. I know that this is about the Domincan diet, however since my maid cooks for me 5 days a week, I fall into that category.

I was also experiencing problems. Still am in some areas. I gained about 10-15 pounds when I moved here. Much in part to the rice, bean and beer. I had many stomach problems and fatigue like I have never had. I decided if I wanted to be able to function I needed to change my habits. Here is what I changed and it worked.

1. Working out. I hit the gym a minimum of 4 days a week. Thats a slow week. Hard? Yes! Worth it? Down almost 30 pounds!

2. Stopped eating red meat. It is so horrible here anyway that this was not very difficult.

3. Had my maid start using Pam spray for me. (I pick this up in bulk at Price Smart) A little more expensive, but I figure it saves me doctor bills. When oil is necessary I monitor her to very little. She now gets it.

4. Fish about 4 meals a week. This I also get in bulk at Price smart. So good and so healthy.

5. Rice intregal (wheat). Only eat white rice 1 -2 times per week. I love the salty Dominican rice occationally.

6. No milk! Only milk I take in is in my one cup of cafe con leche in the morning. Strong but I love it. One thing I cannot give up yet. This still causes me some problems in the morning. But not ready to give it up. It's only one cup:)

7. No alcohol. Wow... this one was a little harder but if I wanted to find the sources I need to eliminate my intake and gradually reintroduce into my diet.

8. My next thing I am going to do is stop eating pork. This is going to be very difficult as it is a staple here, but its a dirty meat anyway. I am down to once a week eating it.

9. Nothing Fried or sweet!

Over all, things are getting much better. I do also include a lot of salad with fat free Italian (again from Price Smart). I know it sounds like I eat like a monk, but with all the fruits and veggies here its great. I think you have much more variety with natural more healthier food here than in the states.

Just my 2 cents!

I'm going to try this diet. I'll keep you post it if it works out. Thanks.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Let me backtrack some. I did not mean to imply that one cannot have the foods one loves. Dominicans can still have fried foods and sugar and coffee and everything else. The key is to minimize these and balance them with fruits and vegetables and yes there are many of these and I discover new ones all the time. You can't load up on empanadas and coffee in the morning. You can't load up on pollo guisado, rice, beans, and pepsi at lunch. But you can have say half an empanada with half a cup of coffee, unsweetened juice...preferably something like papaya juice and maybe an apple. You can have a small portion of pollo guisado, small portion of rice, two veggies, a mango, and water/juice.

Dominicans love to fill up the stomach. So they have an overloaded stomach that is difficult to digest because it is loaded with difficult to digest foods. The stomach cannot create enough acid to break it all down fast enough...yet there is plenty of acid in the stomach. The longer the food sits in the stomach the more fermentation takes place and along with this heartburn, etc. So you can eat smaller meals making sure to balance your acids and alkalines and snack between meals with fruits. Somehow I don't think that will go over very good.

Disclaimer: I probably don't understand this perfectly and you will find mistakes in my reasoning but the basic idea is sound. And I don't always follow my advice.

One other thing. When you first come here...no only are you mentally and emotionally challenged....but also your body may experience some trying times. For one thing the temperature is most probably very different from where you came from. Your body has to adapt to that and in your excitement you may not even be aware of just how difficult the change is for your body. Tired, Hot, Depressed, Overweight...it may take a while for you to work this all out.