NYTimes Article:"Mixed Diplomatice Signals From U.S. Helped Tilt Haiti Towards Chaos"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
If you are not a NYTimes.com member your post doesn't need a reply.

Rick

Why do you need to start something that isn't there?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rick Snyder said:
If you are not a NYTimes.com member your psot doesn't need a reply.

Rick

Why do you need to start something that isn't there?
???????????????????

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
There's a loud and clear message in the article, directed to people everywhere: You better get your act together, or expect the U.S. government to make a mess of your affairs and destroy your nation.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
what the heck

That was an insightful and revealing article; there are certainly various interests represented in U.S. foreign policy (yours, too, by the way). They're more or less successful according to access and influence in a given sphere at a given time, nothing new there. As Mirador (and Josh's 9th-grade military/ xxxxxx (now-now) class) would immediately grasp, the evidence is clear: Even an empire as envied and successful worldwide as the Haitian model- the veritable Switzerland of Hispanola- can be brought to its knees by the foolish/evil/greedy/hateful/whatever intervention by the Americans.
Gosh Darn It
drbill

Last edited by a moderator:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Mirador said:
There's a loud and clear message in the article, directed to people everywhere: You better get your act together, or expect the U.S. government to make a mess of your affairs and destroy your nation.

Well they have so many on the go right now some countries will need to take that little number (like in a deli) and wait their turn.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I have a dream - I dream of the day a Dominican journalist will be able to write a piece half as well written and researched as this one in The Times.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
aegap said:
I have a dream - I dream of the day a Dominican journalist will be able to write a piece have as well written and researched as this one in The Times.

Sure, well written, but are you sure it is also objetive, unbiased, and free from any underlying political or other agenda? How can you tell?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Don't put words into my mouth. I just think all Dominican newspapers suck.... clavedigital sucks the least. And no, I an not just saying it because it's owned by the Hazoury family.

Actually, once you get past the catering to the liberal New York market, it seems prettry objective to me.

Last edited:

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
By Looking For Corroboration/Confirmation

Mirador said:
Sure, well written, but are you sure it is also objetive, unbiased, and free from any underlying political or other agenda? How can you tell?

That's journalism. The writer of this article was better than most in stating the sources of assertions and cross-confriming them with other sources. I admit that there has been a proliferation of "fake ",sloppy, and biased journalism that has given rise to great skepticism . In many cases this skepticism has descended all the way to the kind of cynicism you express (i.e. all news is either fake or hopelessly biased). I'm not buying it. A critical reader is still capable of separating honest reporting from propaganda. Nothing new here.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
O, I get it now - Dominican newspapers cater exlcusivelly to the Dominican market and hence why they all suck. Silly me and my dream.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
aegap said:
Don't put words into my mouth. I just think all Dominican newspapers suck.... clavedigital sucks the least. And no, I an not just saying it because it's owned by the Hazoury family.

Actually, once you get past the catering to the liberal New York market, it seems prettry objective to me.

No, you know little about the 'liberal New York market' (whatever that is), and it seems objective to you only because it is well written.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Mirador, I want some of that you been smoking... see if I can alse become as enlightened as you .

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is a well written article. I think there are two 'sets' of biases... the one is obviously the political bias of the article and author and publication, and the second one has to be our own bias, the one with which we read the material.

So, what is real eh? I guess only one's ability to separate the wheat from the chaff. For me, I enjoyed the article because of its quality.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Actually, there?s a guy who writes a column in Clave Digital, that?s quite good. His name is Steven Gehy, and the name of the column is "DESDE HAITI"...

But I must say, after browsing the dominican press every morning for years, it?s of a very poor quality.

It?s hard to compete with profesional journalism such as the NYTimes...

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Chris said:
It is a well written article. I think there are two 'sets' of biases... the one is obviously the political bias of the article and author and publication , and the second one has to be our own bias, the one with which we read the material.

I may in fact know very little about the liberal New York audience/market, but this is precisely what I meant by my previous comment.

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Squat said:
Actually, there?s a guy who writes a column in Clave Digital, that?s quite good. His name is Steven Gehy, and the name of the column is "DESDE HAITI"...
Quite good?...that guy is as biesed and one sided as the Dominican press, just for the opposite cause. He's Haitian by the way.

There's a guy named Panky in that newspaper who also is very biesed and one sided too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.