Capital Inclinations....Heart In Santiago

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
I'm just back from an emergency one-week trip from DR. I was supposed to be around for only 3 days, but sh_t happens. Since the last time I lived there for more than one or more years was 6 years ago (now 20) I have a new mindset and different goals in life. I'm seriously considering moving back fulltime, although my financial intersts are such that its difficult for me to manage them from DR without having a fulltime presence (If you know what I mean).

I was wondering what Dominicans or Non-Dominicans LIVING in either Santiago or La Capital think about their respective counties. I myself am in such an undecisive and contradictory state that I render my own opinions useless.

As I was born in DR and educated in New York, I am by default a city person. No doubt about it. The thing is, I've been to soo many clubs and been through so many girls that nightlife doesn't interest me as heavily anymore. I go out like 3 times a week whereareas I used to go out 6 nights. No longer. This recent trip, I took my first "objective" trip to La Capital. I must admit, everytime I've gone before, it was ALWAYS to get either: Important Documents, Getting some crap for my mother, or to go visit some political chopos the family retains. To be honest, I just look at it like my family looks at it: Los Nuevo Rico Chopos Y Los Limpia Sapato Politicos. And lets not kid ouselves, it still is. This time, I didn't pay attention to any of that and the quasi Los Angeles smog, the absurd traffic, the tekatos, the lambones, nothing. I just went to look at the city for what it really was. My uncle has a very nice home in Cuesta Hermosa so I stayed there and I made him give me a REAL tour.

Compartively to Santiago, La Capital has way more exclusive areas than Santiago. But then again, La Capital has a population a little over 3 Million, Santiago a little over 1 Million. But everyone knows that the grand majority of these areas have been infiltrated by Low-Class chopos who become syndicos and steal as much money from the government as possible to buy a house in the less expensive area of Gazue, then move higher up the pitiful political ladder to steal even more money to live in Arroyo Hondo. Santiago, however, the grand majority are the true Elite with long bloodlines, or major Cartel leaders, and of course, the quasi political chopos (They're the ones who have lighter skin and can pass for decent as they're University Educated, but still lack the brains to give scholarly opinions on international matters, The Arts, Education, etc.)

However, in terms of culture and nightlife, La Capital shatters Santiago. Everyone knows this and there's no reason for me to give further explanations. I went to three very nice and upscale restaurants and two amazing clubs. I even love the fact that after-club-hours, people my age congregate en La Lincoln to floss and bag even more women. Then off to the Malecon to look at the water and whisper a whole bunch of Sankie sh_t in their ears ;)

But then again, Santiago is Santiago. In its most basic essence, it's a small town with the country's first true and legitimate wealth. The most beautiful women. The most educated and most internationally aware people. The true country fresh air (well, atleast in my enclave) I would HATE for Santiago to become like La Capital. I don't particularly like that there's this new Colinas Mall. There's already that huge mostrocity on Bartolome Colon they call La Sirena. Can you imagine if they build a "Modern" glass tower like they already did in La Capital in Santiago? No matter how rich one gets in this country or abroad, true Dominicans hate this Western Influence in our towns. Even if one gets rich because of Western Influence. Its the same the world over and you probably know this. Its even worse in the Middle East. Just imagine how residents of Dubai feel with all this "modernization" in the desert. Western Influence needs to be on an economic level in this country, not on a cultural, political level, and most importantly, not on an architectural level. We want to see colonial structures, Mediterranean, etc. Santiagueros love the fact that we can go to out to our fincas and pick out legitamately fresh fruit, kill a Pig or a Chivo for our friends to have a feast, etc. It's fine that it has happened in La Capital, but this influence will absolutely damage the character and ambiance of my little town. As Scarface would say "I no like it, man."

If you were my age, living in this modern era, had everything taken care of from a financial standpoint, where would you currently choose to live, in Santiago or La Capital? Also, if you currently live en La Capital, what is your nightly plans or entertainment factor? (IE. One night you have friends over and drink, One night you go out to bring a whole bunch of hot girls back home, Quiet Dinner, An outing at El Theatro Nacional, etc)

Last edited: