Planning trip to Pedernales...advice needed!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
So, we're planning on taking a couple of friends on an excursion to Barahona, Pedernatles and Lago Enriquillo.
What we need to know is where to stay, what to bring, what to be sure to see and how long to plan on being there.
I know some on the board must have been and I'd like to hear from you all!
Thanks,
MommC

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
I've been to Lago Enriquillo. Saw the most horrific looking man and then realized it was a crocadile. I left immeadiately.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My info is not very recent, but I would avoid the hotels right in Barahona, and look for something along the coast, South of Barahona (1 of the 4 prettiest roads in the country).
Bring mosquito repellent.
Don't expect much in Pedernales in the way of accommodations, or anything at all.
Don't hand feed the crocs...
BTW: You're going to have a blast. It's a very unique part of the country.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Serious info only please........

The children may remain in their rooms!

Thanks Rocky....we've been meaning to go for years and have heard of how unique it is!

Then if possible we're planning on coming up to see the north coast crew!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MommC: CALL ME

You can email me for the new phone number. I want to give you Dolores' phone numbers so you can get the names of the best places to stay out that way.

You might want to send a PM to DMS on this board, too. They know the area very- nay-extremely well--

HB :D:D:D:D:D:D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MommC said:
Then if possible we're planning on coming up to see the north coast crew!
Wow !!!
That would be too kool.
There's something about your nickname, that leads me to believe that you're going to bring me a home baked apple pie, when you come.
Please let us know as much ahead of time, to see what we can drum up for you in the way of nice inexpensive accomodations.
This IS exciting news.
Really looking forward to it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Holy Moly, BATMAN! I didn't see that part!

MOMMC you have to call me now!

We can play golf here!!

HB:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK...I made that trip in July last year. What we did was drive from Sto. Dgo to Barahona (about 3 hours) and stay there as there's not much in terms of accomodations anywhere else in that area of the country. We stayed at the Hotel Larimar which is next to the sea, byt the Malecon. I didn't look for hotels ahead of time and this one looked the nicest one around. It was not very good and very expensive for what they have to offer. I guess there is a nicer one in the area "Barcelo Bahoruco Beach Resort". Hotels in the area are not nearly as nice as other more touristy places such as Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, etc...

There's a restaurant a few blocks from the Hotel Larimar, which was actually pretty good. It's called Los Robles.

Next day we drove to Pedernales. Our destination was Bahia de Las Aguilas. The views on the way there are just amazing. The drive is pretty long though, but the roads are pretty good except for a couple of places where it got washed out at one time and it had not been repaired yet. There are quite a few beaches on the way there (Lost Patos, San Rafael, etc), but we didn't stop at any of them as we wanted to make it early enough to Las Aguilas. If you go to Las Aguilas make sure you drive a 4x4 AWD SUV, otherwise you won't be able to make it to the beach as there's a pretty steep hill you have to drive over. You can take a boat (about 10 minute ride), but you have to leave your car in the little village and they charge 1200 pesos for the ride. There's really not much in Pedernales itself.

Also take any food, drinks, etc or at least make sure you have a good breakfast before you head out that way, as there's nothing between Barahona and Pedernales once you go past the little towns close to Barahona.

The beach at Bahia de Las Aguilas is amazing, but there's nothing there. Not much shade either. The day we were there we probably only saw about 10 other people the whole time we were there. Obviously make sure to use lots of sunscreen. I got sunburned really bad...which was no fun a day or two later.

Next day we went to several places (Jimani - crossed into Haiti for a bit, which wasn't really worth it, The Magnetic Pole and Enriquillo Lake). By the time we made it to the lake it was almost 4:00 PM and they weren't taking people to where the crocs and flamingos are. By then we were kind of tired anyway and just headed back to Sto. Dgo. If you go to the lake try to make it early enough so you can tak the trip to see the crocs, flamingos, etc.

One thing you should know is that there are many army checkpoints around the area. On you way there (towards Haiti) they won't stop you, but on the way back they will stop you at each one and they will ask for ID. I didn't know about this and had my wife and kids with me. They didn't have ID with them, so I ended up having to pay a bribe a several of these checkpoints for them to let me go and not give me any grief. If they see you're not Dominican they will try to take advantage of this, so make sure to have ID (passport or license).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Send me an email with your tel. # and I will give you a call to give you a few ideas too.

Best, Dave

Sep 19, 2005
maybe I can give you a tip on where to hunt morning doves over there...just dont stand too close to the water holes.. and dont bring a dog to retrieve the birds in the water!!!!!!!!!!!! something may retrieve THEM!!!!!!!!!!

it can get a little tricky the closer to the border you get

cant help with the accomodations out that way...we headed back into SD for the night

good luck...ps i figure I didnt help much... ha ha ha...bob

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I've noticed you're very good at that bob.........je je je!
HB I'll send PM in the morning.....time for bed now!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
PM's sent....

Anyone heard of Hotel Paraiso??
Saw it on a report from Habitat for Humanity who were building a house in
Barahona I think (was a while back I read the report). Seemed clean and basic.......

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I stayed in the Hotel Paraiso a few months ago for one night. It was O.K. Clean and I had a large room. I believe the price was 500RD, but I am not positive on this.

As far as Pedernales, forget this place for a Hotel. You will find nothing.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks SKY!
We realize there is no hotel in Pedernales so it would be a day trip from Barahona which will be our "base" for the duration of our stay.
Thanks again.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Which leads me to the next question......
Can anyone tell me how long a drive it is from Barahona to:
1) Pedernales?
2) Lago Enriquillo?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a very nice Hotel you may want to consider past Barahona toward Pedernales. Aparta Hotel Pontevedra. It has A.C. a kitchen to cook, a nice pool, and is pretty new and well kept. Also a nice view of the Ocean.

It is on the left side and the address is Carretera Paraiso El Arroyo. 341-8462. The price was 1,800 RD for two persons. They are basically large apartments and nice for a family. Breakfast is included, I believe.

If you want to stay in Barahona the Hotel Costa Larimar is beautiful. If you do not take the AI you will pay a lot less. About the same as the above hotel. Tell them you are a local and they will give you a good price. I stayed here for a week, it is a beautiful hotel on the Ocean.

By the way, there is a restaurant in Barahona that has some of best seafood you can find anywhere on the Island. The price is so small it is almost embarrassing to pay. Whole fish and Lobster. I do not know the name, or if it even has one. But you can find it easily. From the Larimar you go right and about one mile on the left you will see a large hut. It is on the left. If you ask for San Juan and he is there you have found it. He is the owner, and is always there. It is round and has the Domincan style roof. Do not be surprised to find no one there in the evening, as most of the business is lunch, but I promise you this place is tops.

From Barahona to Pedernales about two hours, if you drive like me less.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks so much SKY! This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.....
Now anyone know where exactly we go to catch a boat to the island in Lago Enriquillo?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
SKY said:
From Barahona to Pedernales about two hours, if you drive like me less.
What!! As much as the seaside mountain road twists and turns, it would be hard to get there in less than two hours.......... :D