voip at internet cafe?

nonrev1

Nov 25, 2005
Hi,

I found some posts describing some Internet cafes and prices. I'm wondering if I can plug in my voip phone. I have packet8 (similar to vonage) and it comes with a small unit that plugs directly into a router. It requires and electrical plug in also. Then I can plug a phone directly into it. The unit is small and I could pack a light weight phone as well. If I'm not mistaken, when I do this, I basically have my home phone service any where in the world I plug it into a broadband connection. Has anyone else tried this in the DR? Do you think I can find an Internet spot that will let me plug right into a router and a power supply - I guess lots of people are looking for the same for their laptop, right?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
nonrev1 said:
Hi,

I found some posts describing some Internet cafes and prices. I'm wondering if I can plug in my voip phone. I have packet8 (similar to vonage) and it comes with a small unit that plugs directly into a router. It requires and electrical plug in also. Then I can plug a phone directly into it. The unit is small and I could pack a light weight phone as well. If I'm not mistaken, when I do this, I basically have my home phone service any where in the world I plug it into a broadband connection. Has anyone else tried this in the DR? Do you think I can find an Internet spot that will let me plug right into a router and a power supply - I guess lots of people are looking for the same for their laptop, right?
What part of the country?
Does it plug into the router by ethernet cable?
If so, is it reversed, or straight through?
Does the service take a lot of signal?
If it happens to be in the Sosua area, we might be able to get you hooked for free.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
You might want to also just try using Skype. There are several different options ranging from free use to paid use by getting an actual phone number. The you can just use the internet for voice calls. I use this quite often now in the US to call grandparents in Spain for free. Works best with a headset with an integrated microphone.