Looking for a baby

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
We are in the process of looking for a baby to adopt. Although you would think it is easier here, the fact is we are finding the process a little more difficult.

However there is hope. We are looking to do this legally as we want to make sure all goes well so we can get in and out of the country. We live here now but plan to do a lot of travel in the future.

What we are looking for is a mother who has a infant preferably newborn - 3 months who is wanting to have her baby adopted. She would need to be willing to go through the process with us which means physically go with us to terminate her rights and go through the steps with us.

I have searched many sights and threads on this page as well. I am just asking that anyone who may know someone please contact me. PM's are welcome. I know many of you are very familiar with the island and know many people so we are asking for your help in possibly finding a baby for us.

I do have an attorney who is helping me as well. I just know the more the word is out there the better.

Thanks so much!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While not quite the same thing as JD said, I can tell you that the process to do this legally is an incredibly long and arduous road.
One of my boys was able to do so--after 4 years--and he is Dominican, a doctor, and his wife is an architect. (See Hillbilly's post on the "Luckiest baby ever born")
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17541&highlight=Luckiest+baby

The thing is that there is a two or three year waiting list for abandoned babies.

I have said this before:
IF you can find a teenage mother who does not want the baby, or better yet, get to know the nurses at the local public hospital, and have them give you a phone call when an abandoned baby shows up--happens all the time--you then find a friendly doctor that will give you a Notification of Birth and with that you go to the Registro Civil and declare that your wife had a baby on such and such date, you show them the fake Notification of Birth, and then you tell them the baby's name! Then it is yours!! This is how Mary Joe Fernandez got to be an American--according to local lore in Jarabacoa..

HB :D:D:D

Last edited:

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
go to Guatemala

I second Hillbilly's advice. I have heard it from other trusted sources as well.

Now, if you are under 42 or 43, I can't remeber which, you can still adopt easily in Guatemala, or China.

I have friends who facilitate that through Catholic Charities (no need to be Catholic, though, or straight - they say.)

Sorry to offer no advice on LEGAL adoption in the the RD, but perhaps you can have luck in Guatemala.

Good luck and God Bless you! -- Sam

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I'm sure HBs advice is a practical option. I would just be wary of relying on an underpaid government nurse or doctor keeping their mouths shut. Afterall, the government would view this as a kidnapping. A great opportunity to become a victim of extortion by one of the players. If caught, you'd have a hell of a time explaining how neither of your DNAs match the baby.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
My sister adopted a baby girl from China three years ago. It took over a two-year process and at that time it cost $50,000 from start to finish, and the baby you are adopting is sight unseen before hand.

And in her case, my niece being nine months old at adoption.... time, money, professional help in all areas to catch to speed with others is incredible.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Hillbilly said:
While not quite the same thing as JD said, I can tell you that the process to do this legally is an incredibly long and arduous road.
One of my boys was able to do so--after 4 years--and he is Dominican, a doctor, and his wife is an architect. (See Hillbilly's post on the "Luckiest baby ever born")
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17541&highlight=Luckiest+baby

The thing is that there is a two or three year waiting list for abandoned babies.

I have said this before:
IF you can find a teenage mother who does not want the baby, or better yet, get to know the nurses at the local public hospital, and have them give you a phone call when an abandoned baby shows up--happens all the time--you then find a friendly doctor that will give you a Notification of Birth and with that you go to the Registro Civil and declare that your wife had a baby on such and such date, you show them the fake Notification of Birth, and then you tell them the baby's name! Then it is yours!! This is how Mary Joe Fernandez got to be an American--according to local lore in Jarabacoa..

HB :D:D:D

if you say the baby is yours and you go declare it at us consulate in sdq they will ask for pictures when you were pregnant,, and if they are suspicious of you they will ask for dna test (they will give you dna test as an option,, but if you don't do it, then they will not give the child the us citizenship).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The GAME: An excellent point. And one that I did not consider since they are supposedly living here. In the case of my son, he went throught the entire process and Luis Alfonso is now his son, legally as well as psychologically. In the case of MJ Fdez, this was over 30 years ago and things were different.

In fact I know of at least three cases where the baby was "adopted" in this manner. However, Mj is the only "American" of the three.

Modern communication, DNA, and so forth might make things more difficult.

However, I know of no case where the nurses or doctors (who seldom know much anyway about what is happening around a hospital) have blabbed...

I guess it depends on your luck...

HB

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
Thanks so much for all the advise. I have heard from many to do it the way HillBilly stated by putting our names on a birth certificate. I would consider this as my top option if I was 1. not an American and 2. Not living here full time. Its not worth us possibly doing jail or being deported from what we consider paradise.

So we know the road will be long and I guess we will push through until we have decided enough is enough. We do have much faith that we will get a beautiful baby here.

With that said we know that there are some ways around speeding up the process and it once again brings me to the point of needing to find a mother who I can adopt from. I know some dominican woman are very attached even though many have no money, however... many are still abandoned in this country so I think its a matter of finding the mom who will let us adopt. Easy...NO Impossible... NO!

So please still keep your eyes open for us. If you help we will even name a child after you. HAHAHA I promise!

Mongoose

Jan 30, 2004
Conani

Conani consejo naconal de los ninos y adolescentes has a whole department regarding adoptions they are located opposite the palace in santo domingo and are generally very helpful. They have a website at www.conani.gov.do

Where I worked one of our young girls with learning difficulties was sexually abused by a member of staff and for various reasons the baby had to be given away, CONANI found a well off professional couple of mixed nationality for us who were involved throughout the process.

But as others have said most parents do not simply give away their babies. other children I have worked with are left in state insitiutions and it is possible to deal directly with the institutions in cases where you wish to adopt so perhaps visiting a few I know some have babie abandoned there. The ones I know about are primarily disabled children but I believe the same occurs with general childrens homes.

Good luck

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
Do you happen to know what some of the names of the institutes are? We have already had our first interview with Conani and they were great!

Should I look in hospitals and get the word out? Hillbilly suggested that and it made sense to me to befriend a nurse or doctor.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The DR is not a good choice of country to look for adoption. First, single motherhood is not frowned upon, as opposed to, say South Korea (who report the highest adoption rate in the world), secondly, poverty does not discourage a mother from raising her children (Actually, the most poor appreciate children much more than the most affluent, since the former, as opposed to the later, consider their children their only true possessions), and thirdly, motherhood is the most socially laudable status for a women, notwithstanding anything else.

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
I know its difficult... but not impossible

Mirador said:
The DR is not a good choice of country to look for adoption. First, single motherhood is not frowned upon, as opposed to, say South Korea (who report the highest adoption rate in the world), secondly, poverty does not discourage a mother from raising her children (Actually, the most poor appreciate children much more than the most affluent, since the former, as opposed to the later, consider their children their only true possessions), and thirdly, motherhood is the most socially laudable status for a women, notwithstanding anything else.

As I stated in first post... I know this is not an easy process, but I also know that many woman give up there babies. I think like anything in this country its going to be about who you know and what connections you have.

We are ready for the journey. We are not wide eyed and unaware, but we are also in the beginning process. Any thought Mirador on where to look?

Thanks for all your responses...it helps tremendously.

Mongoose

Jan 30, 2004
homes

Im sure there are many more homes around but Los angeles del CONANI previously part of Hogares de Luby is just over centenario way but only has disabled children and babies.

Oh i cant remember the name there is a big private childrens home along Independencia that I have visited it is far nicer than the CONANI one but not as new.

I think the hospitals will be far better for getting newborn babies how you would go about this I dont know. Friends in high places is nearly always the way to go in the DR!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
drliving said:
Should I look in hospitals and get the word out? Hillbilly suggested that and it made sense to me to befriend a nurse or doctor.

Yes! And deal with the paperwork some months later... Luis Alfonso is a nice looking growing young lad! To the manor born!

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
Chris said:
Yes! And deal with the paperwork some months later... Luis Alfonso is a nice looking growing young lad! To the manor born!

Why some months later? Does this make it easier? I was informed of a mother who lives about 2 hours outside of the city is pregnant with her 5th child. No father and is due is March. She does not want the baby and wants us to adopt. How would you guys handle the situation? We are yet to meet her though... just found out a few days ago.

Once she has baby have her terminate rights and begin process or wait?

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
Just wanted to throw this out again to keep it fresh. We are still looking for a pregnant mother or a mother with a young infant who is looking for someone to adopt the baby. We of course will help the mother. Its a win/win! Anyone know of anyone who may be interested?????

Thanks DR'1ers. I know if anyone can help...you all seem to have a lot of insight!

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
In case you would be interested in a Haitian baby, here is a web site of an orphanage in Port au Prince. There was a documentary program of this orphanage on tv, the lady is english or american and she said they are waiting for babies to be adopted, because the orphanage is too full for the moment, and she can't refuse babies knowing that they will die soon if she doesn't accept them in the orphanage.
It's called Gods littlest Angels, the site is: www.gla-missions.org
yasmin

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
drliving, I know of two possible sources but cannot say as yet whether you would be able to find a baby of the exact age you require or even the mother -- these are orphans. The one is in Sonador and the other is near Sabana Grande de Boya. But if you really want to look the mother over and have a newborn, I am not sure these will be viable sources. I can at the very least make enquiries for you.

Are there any criteria that would automatically disqualify a potential candidate?

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
!

ill be moving to the dr soon and ill be available for adoption. id love to be cared for as i laze by the pool. the fact that im in my late 30's is of no consequence as far as i'm concerned. What is of consequence to me is that you have my room kept tidy, my bed made, and maintain a healthy provision of bud lites. hope to meet you soon MUM and DAD!!!!

drliving said:
We are in the process of looking for a baby to adopt. Although you would think it is easier here, the fact is we are finding the process a little more difficult.

However there is hope. We are looking to do this legally as we want to make sure all goes well so we can get in and out of the country. We live here now but plan to do a lot of travel in the future.

What we are looking for is a mother who has a infant preferably newborn - 3 months who is wanting to have her baby adopted. She would need to be willing to go through the process with us which means physically go with us to terminate her rights and go through the steps with us.

I have searched many sights and threads on this page as well. I am just asking that anyone who may know someone please contact me. PM's are welcome. I know many of you are very familiar with the island and know many people so we are asking for your help in possibly finding a baby for us.

I do have an attorney who is helping me as well. I just know the more the word is out there the better.

Thanks so much!