A safe place for my familly

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
Hi all
I'm looking for a nice place to move to RD with my wife and my daughter (2 years old).
I have several choices between Sosua, Cabarete, Rio San Juan and maybe Nagua.
My question is what is, for you, the best choice to spend a quiet life, in a very safe environment.
You'll be nice to share your experience with me, if you already live in this towns.

Thany you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
diego200 said:
Hi all
I'm looking for a nice place to move to RD with my wife and my daughter (2 years old).
I have several choices between Sosua, Cabarete, Rio San Juan and maybe Nagua.
My question is what is, for you, the best choice to spend a quiet life, in a very safe environment.
You'll be nice to share your experience with me, if you already live in this towns.

Thany you.
Your personal safety has little to do with which town you choose to live in.
It's about your security perimeter, your friends, your neighbours, how you comport yourself in public, how much wealth you flash around, who you invite to your house, etc.
Good luck on your venture.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
None of the above!
Move to La Vega, Santiago, San Jos? de Las Matas, Jarabacoa...places like that.

Anything along the shore is infested with too many questionable characters, little cultural stimulation, and far too little to do beyond gossip, drink and laze about.

In the medium sized cities, you can find real friends, not sankie-wannabes-who will value you for who you are and not what you can do for them.

And, from most of these places the beach is just a short ride away, so you have the best of both worlds...

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The biggest question is why are you moving to a country you apparently don't know much about? Why don't you go and spend some time down there, visit (rent for a little while if you can) in different areas until you decide which one is best for you. You have to decide what it is you want for you and your family. You have a little girl so good schools and access to good healthcare may be important. How much do you want to spend is another big question. Every part of the country has quiet areas, but to live a quiet, safe life in touristy areas such as Sosua you may have to pay a premium.

How about you wife? Does she want to work? Then you may want to live closer to bigger city such as Santiago or Santo Domingo...

All of these are things we cannot answer for you. I would tend to agree with HB in that if you're looking for a family life and not a "party every night" type of life then you're better off moving away from the touristy areas and going to a "real" Dominican town such as La Vega or Santiago.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Opinions differ, of course, but I wouldn't be caught dead living in Santiago or any other Dominican city far away from the coast, and I might add that I moved here without ever having visited, and don't regret it for a minute.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
thank you all for your answer.
Renting for some mounths looks like a good idea, that was what I wanted to do first.
I plan to leave in RD something like 8/10 mounths and the rest in Europe (where I live now)
So in my opinion I need to be close to the sea, because my goal is to spend good time and not to work.
It could be a good thing if Sosua, cabarete or Rio San Juan r?sidents coul give their opinion.
thanks again to you all
diego

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Think, Diego, think. And not just of yourself, but of your child. Values are important in life, and most unfortunately, values along the coastline are not the first priority.

Whatever, its your life.

HB :(:(:(

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sosua is the most diverse of the 4, with greater ease for shopping and establishing friendships with other expats.
Cabarete is smaller, and more of a sporty town with a younger crowd.
Rio San Juan is a Dominican town with a lagoon, great diving & snorkeling and opportunities for going fishing.
Nagua is much bigger than the others, very Dominican, with a long stretch of beach to the East, and good proximity to La Samana.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rocky (Marco) is very correct in his estimation of the different towns along the shore. He forgot Gaspar Hernandez, a farm community that lives on agriculture and cattle ranching, and Cabrera, another cattle town. Both towns are heavily subsidezed by remittances from New York, but they are full of nice folks, don't get me wrong.
I fight for Santiago and the Cibao Valley, not only because I live here, but because I have raised a huge family here and realize that there is a wider opportunity for entertainment, medical care, ease of movement (in and out) and expansion of horizons..Movies, theater, social life....culture and so forth.

HB :D:D

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hillbilly said:
Rocky (Marco) forgot Gaspar Hernandez, a farm community that lives on agriculture and cattle ranching, and Cabrera, another cattle town.
The only reason I did not mention any other places to live, was because the OP asked about those 4 specific locations.
I tried to give an unbiased overview of the 4.
Of course, I think Sosua's the best of the 4, as you feel Santiago would be a better choice.
Which is why I live here and you live there.
I have no family or children, so my perspective would be very different from yours.
I wouldn't have a clue what to to with a kid, once he/she gets too big to stick in the microwave...
All kidding aside, I fully understand why some people would choose to live in big Dominican cities in the interior, but it would be a nightmare for me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't have a clue what to to with a kid, once he/she gets too big to stick in the microwave...

OHMYGOD!! Snorted coffee on the damn keyboard! Marco, they say that laughing is good for the soul, so, today my soul is just a bit better, thanks to you!!

HB :D:D

Yeah, but the guy is such a Newbie that he didn't know about those other very nice little towns....:p:p:p

May 12, 2005
I just returned from Nagua last week. I went to visit with my friends who were born there. It is definitely a very Dominican town. As a gringo there one would definitely stand out and attract alot of attention. But it is a very nice town with a beautiful and scenic coastline. Just something to think about. As for Sosua or Santiago they are both great places. It all depends on what you are looking for. If I were to move here, at least in the beginning I would want to be in an area with many other ex-pats. This way I had a network of people who went through the same experiences and I coud call on for help if needed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Frank the Tank said:
If I were to move here, at least in the beginning I would want to be in an area with many other ex-pats. This way I had a network of people who went through the same experiences and I coud call on for help if needed.
Very wise words, indeed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hillbilly said:

OHMYGOD!! Snorted coffee on the damn keyboard! Marco, they say that laughing is good for the soul, so, today my soul is just a bit better, thanks to you!!
You just made my day.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
thank you all again for sharing your experience.

I'll tell you when i'll decide.

Hope to see some of you when I'll be there