tRAVEL TO DR PASSPORT NOW"

NYWELSH

Sep 16, 2004
Do us citenzens need to have there passport now or is ok for the birth cert and pic id

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The Passport requirement for travel to the DR for US citizens takes effect on December 31, 2006.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
rellosk said:
The Passport requirement for travel to the DR for US citizens takes effect on December 31, 2006.

but airlines are in no obligation to obey this, thus they can put their own
guidelines. In December '05 i called both american airlines and called Dept of
State about travelling w/o passport. Dept of State said that airlines are private and can put their own rules. American said a valid passport is required to travel to DR. So check with airline first before you buy ticket.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
THE GAME said:
but airlines are in no obligation to obey this, thus they can put their own
guidelines. In December '05 i called both american airlines and called Dept of
State about travelling w/o passport. Dept of State said that airlines are private and can put their own rules. American said a valid passport is required to travel to DR.
The person who told you this didn't know the facts. Here is what is posted on the AA website:
Effective December 31, 2006 All nationals of the U.S., Canada and Bermuda will be required to hold a passport to enter the United States if coming from Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America by air and by sea.

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
Its true you must have a passport in order to get into the United States.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
RP23 said:
Its true you must have a passport in order to get into the United States.
Currently, that depends on what country you are traveling from and where you were born (or it might be you citizenship, I'm not sure which applies).

After December 31, 2006, everyone will need a passport to enter the country.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
aegap said:
I thought the day was changed. Was it not?
It was last year and extended to this year (December 31, 2006). They have since extended land crossings into the US from Canada and Mexico until January 2008. This all ONLY APPLIES TO US CITIZENS RETURNING TO THE US.

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
What about the reverse?

What about travel to the Dominican Republic from the US or even Puerto Rico? I currently live in the DR (I am a US Citizen) and do not have a passport. I understand I can leave the DR, but could I get back without a passport?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Flamingojohn said:
What about travel to the Dominican Republic from the US or even Puerto Rico? I currently live in the DR (I am a US Citizen) and do not have a passport. I understand I can leave the DR, but could I get back without a passport?
As long as your tickets have you competing your itinerary before December 31, 2006, and you have your original birth certificate and an official photo ID, the air carrier should let you board their plane. You should check on their website for their exact rules. The passport requirement is for entry into the US, not the DR. But after December 31st, the airlines won't let you leave the US without a passport.

Given what you said, I don't know why you wouldn't get a passport when you come to the US. These days you can them issued at a local library (on a rotating basis) and you can pay extra for expedited service.