Vonage

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Hello all,

I wrote about this earlier last year but now I have more information to share. There was a call center in Santiago which has a 718 phone number. The guy wouldn't share how he did it but I think I know. He probably had someone in NY get vonage and then send the vonage box to Santiago. Actually one of my friend sent it all the way to India and and it works! I tried to do the same thing, I got it in NY, connected it, tested it and then sent it to my wife in Santiago. She had to get Verizon DSL in her house (2,100 pesos/month) but for whatever reason the Vonage is not working. Does anyone have Vonage working the DR and if so could you please help me?

Thanks,
Sonny.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sonny, many people use vonage in DR. I have seen it first hand. Maybe they are doing something wrong.
Now there could have been a simpler way. She could have dsl and install the voipstunt program on it. Now you deposit like 12 dollars and she can now make unlimited calls to usa. yes, no monthly fees. As long as she dials the countries that are free, the money is not deducted. The only disadvantage is that you can't call her. You can send her a text message on her cell phone to call you right back. I use this program to call usa, canada, UK etc, totally free. It sounds just as good as a regular.
If you want me to visit their home and check out the system, let me know.
AZB

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
It is a part of the SIP-VOIP technology, but with combined lines.

SIP technology needs between 40-128K uplink and can have a callbacknumber.
Quality is between good and crystalclear

with SIP you can have a callback number from a lot of countries.
We have clients with numbers in Holland-Germany-USA-SpaIn-Brasil and Italy
The only "trick" is that you need to register/buy the equipment in that country, after that a good internetconnection is sufficient ANYWHERE in the world (and you have your own number)

The latest is WIFI-SIP phones, just find a WiFi spot (that has a good uplink) and your phone will connect with YOUR callback number.

As far as we know SIP does NOT work with Direcway-WildBlue and other slow uplink providers.

Vonage is mostly BEHIND all contracts - even if you don't see their name.

want to test/hear the quality
call 352-437-1026, that is a Miami number and our cordless phone here in Juan Dolio will ring ....

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Thanks Aftab, I actually had her take the Vonage modem to my uncle's factory. They are hopefully going to try it there tommorow (it was supposed to be today but I got the "no hay problema...manana en la manana" response) Go figure, even in my own factory I can't get anything accomplished :) I'll let you know how it goes. By the way, I just ordered a BenQ DLP projector with a 100" electric screen. I should have it before the game. I don't have the exact model but it is 2000 lumens and has 1080i res. Let me know what you think....I paid $1,200 for everything. I have the option of returning it within 30 days if you have a better connection :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First of all, I don't like the projector, you have paid too much for an inferior model. It will show 1080i resolution but its not made for it. Its a Svga projector 800X 600 resolution. For that price, you can get the XGA projector. In fact circuit city has a good unit "infocus x3" which is good and for 200 dollars less that what you have paid for. Its a higher resolution than yours and cheaper priced. I would look into it first. Then run your projector from your computer, meaning, use it as monitor and connect it via vga cable. It will give you the best reception like that. If you connect it with a vcr via video cables, you will get the worst picture. Send me private Pm and I will explain it all. First thing you do is to return your projector, you have gotten a bad deal.

Now if the factory can't help the vonage, tell her to send me the unit and I will look into it. I can even go to her house. It maybe a simple thing to fix.
AZB

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Vonage is great.

We have a house in Cabarete and we use Vonage. We pay $25US/month. We make all the calls we want to the US and anybody can call us from anywhere in the US for no additional charge. You need high speed internet. I love it.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Do you have DSL or something available now in your area Camden Tom?

Camden Tom said:
We have a house in Cabarete and we use Vonage. We pay $25US/month. We make all the calls we want to the US and anybody can call us from anywhere in the US for no additional charge. You need high speed internet. I love it.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
sonny...I too live in santiago and use Vonage. I hooked mine up and from time to time I have to rebuild my computer and reinstall the Vonage. If need be I could probably hook it up for them.

AZB...if you need my assistance you know where I am.