cable via internet (santiago)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
We have had several discussion over this issue before but it was a long time ago. We are now in 2006.
I would like to know what companies are offering internet over the cable, names, prices, speed of connection and what area it covers. Most of all, how is the connection in real life experience, any frequently dropped connections, actual connecting speed etc.
I know cablenet charges 995 pesos / month but they only give 64kps speed. This is slow. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this system or other systems? Please don't tell me to do a research or a google search etc. I want real first hand knowledge. Oh, and I know all about internet flash for businesses, so save your breath on this one also. Thanks in advance.
By the way, I am looking to conect to my office in calle 30 de marzo in santiago.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
`Try calling Aster and Supercable.

I have heard good things about Aster, but, sorry, no first hand experience.

HB :D:D:D

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Cable is (mostly) connected to a verizon DSL, commonly multiple connections to 1 dsl line.

Real high-speed connections are (still) expensive, and "dominican" connections are without the known western quality
They suffer from lots of blockings (spam=verizon.do) virusses (yeah still YOU centennial) and "mr. know-it-all-better" if the text is in not-understandable english (according to the technician)

Satellite is an option, verizon is selling direcway, with all the problems direcway is suffering (no client service-overcrowded networks-unreachable pakistani helpdesk)

Others try to make a quick-buck by selling systems, but lack (any) technical know-how

And there a a few (and expensive) who can offer a real, solid, professional, highspeed connection, but at a PRICE..

it is still what do you want and what can you (afford) to pay.
and
Money talks - B.S. walks ....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DunHill, if you have time, can you give us a breakdown of what's available in the local market and price points. Plus any feedback you have come across good or bad for various local networks, including satellite.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
This is in Santo Domingo but I believe Aster's headquarter is Santiago. Here in SD I got the fastest residential plan Aster has to offer, 512k down speed, up is aroung 380k I believe, costs around 1700 RD a month. They gave me a Webstar modem, quite new, manufactured June 2005.

Connection has been reliable in the past 5 months since I have this service, been down twice at night for around 6 hours each.

The speed is indeed very good, I get the advertised 512k down and sometimes more. What is not so good compared to Verizon's Flash is the "ping" responses. I believe this is a problem with cable technology in general but experts can correct me if I am wrong. I had 256k Flash before but it wasn't reliable where I live (distance too long). The Flash had way better "ping" responses and I believe this is the reasons all VOIP ran better with it. With Aster I notice way more lags when using Skype and alike, especially in the "upstream", meaning when I talk to others.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Robert said:
DunHill, if you have time, can you give us a breakdown of what's available in the local market and price points. Plus any feedback you have come across good or bad for various local networks, including satellite.

You can do a search on DR1 for "dunhill" , but i will send you a PM as well

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by cable via internet? Do you mean all services like TV, telephone and internet connection through the same source like Time Warner Cable in NY?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Danny W said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by cable via internet? Do you mean all services like TV, telephone and internet connection through the same source like Time Warner Cable in NY?
sorry, its a misprint. I meant internet via cable.
AZB