Jellylegs last blog - she is back in England

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
To Jellylegs:

Sorry things didn't work out for you. I know that you tried really hard to make a life here. A lot of young girls, who go on vacation and have a great time, don't realize that it is not easy to move away from family and friends and live in a developing country. Job opportunities, living standards are not the same as at home. When you take in to account a foreign language it really makes life more difficult.

I'm glad that you had the experience. It will make you a stronger person and I'm sure that you feel more mature after being on your own for awhile. You can be a great source of info for other young ladies attempting to do the same thing in this country.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I hope!

Charlielyn said:
To Jellylegs:

Sorry things didn't work out for you. I know that you tried really hard to make a life here. A lot of young girls, who go on vacation and have a great time, don't realize that it is not easy to move away from family and friends and live in a developing country. Job opportunities, living standards are not the same as at home. When you take in to account a foreign language it really makes life more difficult.

I'm glad that you had the experience. It will make you a stronger person and I'm sure that you feel more mature after being on your own for awhile. You can be a great source of info for other young ladies attempting to do the same thing in this country.
I hope that she would come to this site and post about her experience. MANY need to be aware that there are 2 different DR's, the one seen thru the eyes of a tourist and the other being the real DR.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I thought she went home for a visit before continuing her journey to Canada.
I thought this was by choice, not because she couldn't make it in the DR.
I don't recall anything in her blog that implied that she had to leave.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Malibook said:
I thought she went home for a visit before continuing her journey to Canada.
I thought this was by choice, not because she couldn't make it in the DR.
I don't recall anything in her blog that implied that she had to leave.
Although the blog was a bit disjointed, that's the feeling I got.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
My impression, and also as she has written in her blog, was that she wanted an experience for a longer time and out of the AIs...
This was not a move, and as far as I know here in POP, she did very well in work, in experiences, in finding where to live etc etc.
I think it would have been a wonderful experience for her!

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
None of this had anything to do with not being able to "make it". It was never intended to be a permanent move, just a sampling of life outside of the AI.

If I were 19 again, I would no want to stay in one country for too long - I would want to try them all.

Miss you Jess!