Mysteries of wireless routers in DR

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Wireless routers don't work exactly the same way in DR as they would in USA. The biggest problem being, intermitted transmission. Unlike USA, electric goes in and out several times a day in various parts of DR. If one has an inverter then one would think, your router would never turn off, right? Wrong. This is where problem starts: It seems several brands of wireless routers ex: airlink101 etc would actually get shut down and won't transmit on air or lan unless power is disconnected and reconnected to the unit. This restart / resets the unit. People who need constant internet via wireless or if connected to wireless router's lan need constant data transfer. But when the power goes out and the inverter kicks in, this switching milisecond time interval can disturb the connection of the router. You will notice that you are disconnected from the internet and then you would actually have to turn off/on the power supply of the router to reset it. This could be a pain in the neck if you do day trading from home or performing some important work on the net example paying bills or chatting on public rooms. You would have to restart the internet. If you are downloading a huge file, you may lose all the data.
So what is the solution?
1. install a UPS and hope it would match your inverter to charge because many UPS won't recharge from inverters and will beep to remind you, you are on ups power.
You can use triplite inverter / ups combo and use that.

all these solutions would require you to buy additional equipment so what is an easy solution?
Buy a wireless router that would stay connected even if the power is changed between inverter and outside line.
I had a cheap airlink101 and whenever lights went out and inverter kicked in, the damn router would go dead. I mean, the power would be on, but no data transmitted. So i had to get up and reset the equipment untill finally the damn thing burnt. I was actualy glad that it burnt.
I called my friend in california to bring me one. He lives next to my house and in a few days, I had it in my hands. But while I was distressed in my home over the loss of wireless, I got a message from Mr.mike, offering me his wireless for a week. I accepted his offer and tried his D-link unit. Its a dual antenna (smart mimo antenna) unit. Much more advanced looking than mine. The installation was all done in 5 minutes and I was up and running. During my usage, I suffered a blackout. To my surprise, the unit didn't even interrupt and stayed connected. I was surprised because many folks in DR complain of this inconventient. My friend who steal wireless internet from his neighbor complains alot when there is a black out, he gets disconnected untill the neighbor resets the unit.
Now mr.mike's unit stays connected and never drops the signal. It covered all my home even the back yard. I was very impressed.
As always, Mr.mike offers the best of the best equipment to his clients. If you folks are looking for a reliable internet wireless unit, contact mr.mike, he has like 5 left. They will go fast so I suggest you grab your unit now. Why try other brands when you know this one works in DR without having to put in a UPS.,
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Back to where we left off a long time ago.
You spring for the $70 or $80 bucks to buy an Omega 650 UPS and your problems will be solved.
We operate all our Wifis on those UPS' with no disconnects.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
AZB said:
My friend who steal wireless internet from his neighbor complains alot when there is a black out, he gets disconnected untill the neighbor resets the unit.

ROTFL - AZB, you?re classic! And I agree, Mike really knows his hardware. We were his biggest account customer at one stage, until he announced with glee! "You?re not my biggest account customer any longer!. You?ve been displaced by Carrefour!" We survived the demotion ... and Mike still knows his hardware :classic:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Hahaha, classic..............Aftab, just forget about your cheap Airlink router and spring the extra bucks for a D-Link. I know you're stingy, but my goodness, you've overdo it sometimes :p.

When my sister went down to the DR a few days after I did in December, it was interesting to see how her laptop picked up our neighbor's signal, even though we didn't bother playing with it because we have our own connection. They have a D-Link router, just like the one that Mr. Mike let you borrow. So I suggest you upgrade soon....

J/k, buddy......

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have upgraded and have got myself a belkins unit. It works fine too. I was going to buy Mr.mike's unit but I had already ordered mine before mr.mike had made the offer to loan me his. But my belkins is also good and I am very happy.
AZB

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
I have about 18 new Minuteman UPS units. They list for $139 USD, but I will sell them for $40 plus shipping (probably around $20 USD). That will solve most of your problems, unless the electricity stays of for more than 30 minutes. If interested, my email is billy.hale@charter.net

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
bhale said:
I have about 18 new Minuteman UPS units. They list for $139 USD, but I will sell them for $40 plus shipping (probably around $20 USD). That will solve most of your problems, unless the electricity stays of for more than 30 minutes. If interested, my email is billy.hale@charter.net
Although I don't know the brand, that sounds like a good offer. Are they "inverter compatible"?
PS: If they are heavy like the ones around here, it may cost a lot more than 20 bucks to ship.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That sounds like bad news to me.
If it didn't work at all, we could hope that there is something that can be done to resolve the problem.
If it works for 10 minutes then stops, then it sounds like the unit is defective.
I don't know what part of the country you are in, but if you are closeby, bring it on over and I'll take a shot at it.
PS: I do know some tricks for stubborn equipment and I'm stubborn like a mule, so I don't give up easily.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
JD, I have had this issue with linksys unit. There is nothing you can do to fix it by playing with software and settings. The problem is hardware. Linksys units work fine for a year and than mnay start with this problem. the electrolytic caps inside the units are bubbling up, which means they have gone bad. If you can change the caps and install a new diode then you are back in business. I have beaten my head against the wall with linksys systems. Just take it to walmart and return it or exchange it for a belkins or D-link. I took my brother's unit to walmart after one year and they happily exchanged it for another unit and I paid 10 dollars differance. I had no recipt but I was lucky enough to have the box. They ask no questions (at least in atlanta area).
AZB

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Recommended Wireless

I am moving to the DR in the near future and have an apple laptop with built-in AirPort extreme. What's the best option once in the DR for moderately priced, fairly reliable wireless connection? I've read through this thread, but got slightly lost along the way as far as the best option to go with (I am won't lie either, I'm no IT buff)? From what I gathered Verizon is the way to go? If I already have this built-in connection, do I need anything else?
Thanks

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ambre said:
I am moving to the DR in the near future and have an apple laptop with built-in AirPort extreme. What's the best option once in the DR for moderately priced, fairly reliable wireless connection? I've read through this thread, but got slightly lost along the way as far as the best option to go with (I am won't lie either, I'm no IT buff)? From what I gathered Verizon is the way to go? If I already have this built-in connection, do I need anything else?
Thanks
First a Verizon telephone line, then a DSL/Flash service, which includes a router/modem, then a Wifi access point (APPROX 50 BUCKS).
That's all you need.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
D-Link

I have had the D-Link wireless router DI-624 with my flash service here in costambar for over 3 years..........use 3 ports for cabled computers and the wireless for my laptop with no problem ever.

You have to change some of the settings related to the default gateway last number..............

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
So, you have to get a separate DSL service, in addition to the telephone line? Does Verizon offer DSL as well/in a package? Also, how/where do you get the Wifi access point, and how does it work with the computer (does it connect or what)? Can I get this in the DR?

How much does the D-Link wireless router DI-624 and the flash service cost altogether?

thanks...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ambre said:
So, you have to get a separate DSL service, in addition to the telephone line? Does Verizon offer DSL as well/in a package? Also, how/where do you get the Wifi access point, and how does it work with the computer (does it connect or what)? Can I get this in the DR?

How much does the D-Link wireless router DI-624 and the flash service cost altogether?

thanks...
Verizon has a variety of plans, and DSL/Flash is not available everywhere.
If you do get it, they have a deal, whereby they give you the router/modem as you sign up to a 2 year contract, otherwise, the last I heard, it costs 5,000 pesos.
The Wifi access point, you should buy in your country.
It will cost a lot less.
There is nothing else you need.
Your computer has the wireless capacity, as you mentioned, so that's all there is to it.