Hotel Plaza Europa

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Is Hotel Plaza Europa in Sosua a good place to stay or not? I have booked a studio at their guest house for 2 weeks. There is a bad review in the resort reviews section. Then I hit the search button for info on the hotel, but I'm still not convinced. I'm sure many of the members on this board must have stayed there. Please tell me what you think about the place.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Is this the one in the Colonial Zone?
If so, it's nice, a few people on this board have stayed there.

If it's the one in Boca Chica, I have no idea.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's not The Four Seasons, but it is fairly clean and relatively safe.
If you want to be a stone's throw from the local "ladies" it's convenient.
I prefer the hotel side, if I was to chose between the condo side vs hotel.

edit: I assume you mean Sosua?

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
Tamborista said:
It's not The Four Seasons, but it is fairly clean and relatively safe.
If you want to be a stone's throw from the local "ladies" it's convenient.
I prefer the hotel side, if I was to chose between the condo side vs hotel.

edit: I assume you mean Sosua?

Sorry, I forgot to mention it is in Sosua.

I don't have a need be to a stone's throw from the local "ladies", as I'm a woman myself, but I can cope with it. Women don't interest me ;)

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
Hotel Europa

I've stayed there (Plaza Europa, Sosua) twice... once in the hotel, and once in the guest house (previously referred to, in this thread, as the condo).

"Guest house" is a bit of a misnomer, actually. It (the guest house) is basically another hotel building (with mini-suite type accommodations) across the street from the main hotel... sharing the same ownership/management. In the guest house - there's no reception desk, restaurant, bar (all of which are part of the adjacent hotel) - just suites and a pool. Don't (as the label might imply) expect a B&B-type experience.

I preferred the guest house, but I found both quite acceptable. Both are reasonably clean and well appointed, but certainly not luxurious. Management (Diego) helped me out when needed (locked keys in my rental car) and was responsive to common requests.

Advantages to the guest house accommodations are:
- slightly less per night (as I recall)
- kitchenette arrangement (especially nice if staying 2 weeks)
- larger pool (with more "deck" area and more sunlight than hotel)

While not FAR from the beach, some might find the Plaza Europa a bit of a hike (from both the beach and the heart of town). And that stretch of Pedro C (the main drag in town) lacks the Village-like feel of the area closer to the beach...and IS pretty well populated by overtly friendly local females.

I might instead suggest (primarily for location) one of the hotels on Dr. Rosen. Perhaps others will offer specific suggestions, based on additional input from you. Enjoy.

macmasher

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just my 2 pesos, spend a little more money and stay at Club Residencial. I am a male and would not stay at Plaza Europa if the room was free. PM me if you want more info. A good choice for a cheap room would be the Waterfront.

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
The Waterfront - THAT'S the one I was thinking of. The other I had in the back of my mind was Casa Valeria (though I have no first hand experience there).

Another one I've wondered about (not to hijack the thread, of course) is Orchidee (the lodging part), next to Rocky's. Tried the restaurant there and liked it very much.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
How cheap?

Just returned from 17 days in the DR. $40 a night considering it is high season I think is cheap. It is a bare bones basic room, actually a small cabana. If you enjoy waking early in the morning and walking 100 meters to look at the ocean, a nice pool, one of the best restaurants in Sosua than consider the Waterfront.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
macmasher said:
The other I had in the back of my mind was Casa Valeria (though I have no first hand experience there).

No first hand experience from me either other than walking past the place a hundred times. Casa Valeria is two steps away from the center of town and seems to be a very good choice.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Is this Hotel Plaza Europa in Sosua the same as Hotel Europa in Sosua? Where exactly is it located? Is it far from let's say Pedro Clisante? Is is an all inclusive.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
tarrantino said:
Is this Hotel Plaza Europa in Sosua the same as Hotel Europa in Sosua? Where exactly is it located? Is it far from let's say Pedro Clisante? Is is an all inclusive.

Plaza Europa and Hotel Europa are one and the same. Europa is located on Calle Pedro Clisante. It is not an AI. My opinion of Europa, it is a place to stay for men who come to Sosua only for the ladies. Europa is like a short stay hotel, do you get my meaning?

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate your opinions. :classic:

We are not looking for luxury, just a clean and safe place to sleep and wash. I have been looking for a cheap place to stay and this was maybe the cheapest I could find, although it costs more than we have paid before at another place. Unfortunately, that place is occupied otherwise we would have gone there.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
OOOOOOOO! Thanks Big Bird. I always wondered why I could never find much if any information on line. So now I know.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
bigbird said:
If that is all you need, sleep at the Waterfront.

http://www.hotelwaterfrontdr.com/eng/index1.html

Waterfront seems like a nice place. I will keep Waterfront in mind for another vacation at another season. According to their price list the price for a double room is USD 40,00/night for this season. I admit I am a cheapstake, but USD 40,00 is more than I am willing to pay. You get what you pay for I guess...

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The guest house at plaza Sosua is a great place to stay. It's very quiet and secure, and just a 10 minutes walk to Playa Sosua. Since most appartments are privately owned, the standard of them varies a lot.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Okay. you told me that it is located at 16 Pedro Clisante. Is it across from the Brittania Pub, or in that vicinity. I have been on Pedro Clisante and have yet to see any hotel that even resembles what little info and pictures that I have seen on line