H?ctor Acosta- branching out on his own?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
To those of you who are fans of Los Toros Band (like me) it seems like H?ctor Acosta will finally be starting his own orchestra which is something he has considered prior to now and came close to leaving the band about three years ago. The reason why I say it seems (speculation) is because the article indicates that this is the direction in which Acosta is heading "est? renuente a sentarse a negociar un acuerdo que ha propuesto la empresa" however, he has a contract with Los Toros Band until 2016. Diario Libre is yet to get H?ctor's version of the situation.

In my opinion he is one of the best voices in Dominican merengue and merengue overall and I foresee nothing but success for El Torito. His musical ability, charisma, and natural talent will surely be carried over into his new endeavors and I will keep supporting H?ctor Acosta and his new band.

Here is the link:

Acosta

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
The new band is already rehearsing and should be set to debut on Dominican tv within the next 2 weeks. About half of the musicians from Los Toros Band left with Hector to be a part of his band.

Los Toros Band will continue with Olbis (previously the backup singer) as the lead singer.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks for the info

Well if Hector's band will debut in two weeks on DR TV I should be able to see them thanks to satellite convenience. Since most of the band members from Los Toros Band followed Hector then surely this new orchestra will be a force to be reckoned with. Needless to say Dominican merengue needs new flavor, innovation, and creativity. Hector may just be in the right place at the right time. An old voice with a new soul. We will have to wait and see.

LDG.
-a "Torito" fan

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Lesley D said:
Well if Hector's band will debut in two weeks on DR TV I should be able to see them thanks to satellite convenience. Since most of the band members from Los Toros Band followed Hector then surely this new orchestra will be a force to be reckoned with. Needless to say Dominican merengue needs new flavor, innovation, and creativity. Hector may just be in the right place at the right time. An old voice with a new soul. We will have to wait and see.

LDG.
-a "Torito" fan
I wonder what name will they use?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The name-

According to the article the registered commercial name is: H?ctor Acosta & Orquesta.

A few months ago I heard a sample of one of their new songs. A fine merengue it was. I am curious now as to who it will belong to. Los Toros or H?ctor. Anyway I am looking forward to some nice sounding, authentic music. It's long overdue!

LDG.
-apoyando el merengue

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Angel was telling me that he saw the news yesterday on it, but also said that the Manager of Los Toros Band is demanding $1,000,000 to get out of his old contract. Anyone else hear or read about this?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Call me crazy but I get shills just thinking about the music Hector Acosta will be making now that he's striking out on his own. He's the only artist I would drive across the country to see live. All the luck to him!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Trina-

At the bottom of the article I attached it does state that there will be legal implications in the DR and NYC for incompletion of his contract. However, it does not state the $ amount. Anyway if you are correct it's a hefty fine. Nevertheless it would be nice to see H?ctor move on. Success for him will not be an issue. I am sure I will see something on TV Dominicana soon.

LDG.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Lesley D said:
At the bottom of the article I attached it does state that there will be legal implications in the DR and NYC for incompletion of his contract. However, it does not state the $ amount. Anyway if you are correct it's a hefty fine. Nevertheless it would be nice to see H?ctor move on. Success for him will not be an issue. I am sure I will see something on TV Dominicana soon.

LDG.

Hi Lesley! Don't you love the power of satellite? We have Dominican TV as well, and I thought that's where Angel saw the news. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. As you know, I love Los Toros Band, and whether he's taking half the band with him or not, his amazing voice will guarantee his success. Funny how when he started singing, no one wanted to sign him, forcing him to start Los Toros Band - once he released one single, everyone wanted a piece of him!

Jan 5, 2006
The Diaz brothers, owners of Los Toros Band and Hector Acosta still have to agree on a buyout figure. Hector maintains that he's going out on his own and without any partners, however, it is well known that he has financial backers who will foot the bill for the buyout.

Regarding any new music, there will be a new album released shortly under the name of Los Toros Band. The songs are being rehearsed by the old band with Olbis singing all of the parts that were originally intended for Hector.

From what I've heard, I don't think that we'll see any significant changes in the style of Hector's new band, as compared to Los Toros Band. Personally, I think that he would be well served by adding some new twists and having some of the new, hot, and more innovative musical arrangers work on any of his new music. People like Freddie Makumba, Moreno Rosario, Amarfis Aquino or Yanina Rosado.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Trina-

Satellite TV has been my savior for Spanish television since year 2000. I was determined to get a dish and I did- legally. So I enjoy over 50 Spanish channels and I have stopped watching English TV since then. Mind you I was never an avid TV watcher but once the possibility of having Spanish TV came into the picture I now enjoy TV much more.

In terms of H?ctor like I have been saying success all the way! I do remember he struggled for recognition in the beginning and he proved everyone wrong. Starting with his big hit El Mujer?n, to Quiz?s s?, Quiz?s no to La cherca etc. and the list goes on. He is the epitome of versatility being able to switch from merengue to bachata smoothly. I say pay the fine and move on. The fans (yo tambi?n) will follow him.

LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Hip?crito M

I agree with adding some innovation or change to H?ctor Acosta's merengue via the influence of other merengueros or arreglistas so long as it's not too radical. Of course this is my opinion but I am really a fan of traditional, hard hitting merengue and the groups of today have definitely moved away from that and are producing a very fast paced rhythm a la Amarfis, Aguakate which just sounds like high energy noise.

H?ctor has mastered the beauty of traditional sounding merengue and merengue cibae?o along with wonderful lyrics and acoustics. No other Dominican group today can emulate that trademark.

LDG.

Jan 5, 2006
Lesley D said:
He is the epitome of versatility being able to switch from merengue to bachata smoothly.
There's really only one person that can be compared in terms of voice and versatility, but it's too bad that he can't keep himself clean. Alex Bueno. :(

Lesley D said:
I say pay the fine and move on.
It's a contract buyout from the Diaz brothers, not a fine. :)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Hip?crito M-

Thanks for the clarification regarding the buyout/ fine issue.

Regarding Alex Bueno, I was going to mention him as the only possible comparison but I wanted to keep the thread about H?ctor. Once again I agree with you the best comparison would be Alex Bueno. His music is traditional sounding, he is versatile- he can move from merengue, to bachata to bolero- highly impressive! However, he has issues like you said.

LDG.

Jan 5, 2006
Lesley D said:
I agree with adding some innovation or change to H?ctor Acosta's merengue via the influence of other merengueros or arreglistas so long as it's not too radical. Of course this is my opinion but I am really a fan of traditional, hard hitting merengue and the groups of today have definitely moved away from that and are producing a very fast paced rhythm a la Amarfis...
IMO, he needs to do something different, yet still classy and somewhat close to traditional, but with some modern touches and breaks, which is why I mentioned the people that I did. Freddie Makumba (bass) and Moreno Rosario (sax) are both very accomplished musicians and arrangers, and the guys behind the sound of El Jeffrey. Yanina Rosado is the pianist for Juan Luis Guerra and has produced some of the best musical arrangements for merengue that I've heard in quite some time. Amarfis is IMO a very talented man, although most people are not aware of his work, other than the fast paced, "merengue de calle" that his band is known for. Take a listen to a song called "Lo Que Se Dice De Ti" by Darlyn and you'll see what Amarfis can do.

Regardless of who he chooses to work with, I think that he needs to get away from the stale sounds of Manuel Tejada, Leo Pimemtel, Ramon Orlando and that whole bunch.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Hip?crito M-

Merengue de calle is indeed the right word for that type of merengue that seems to be prevalent today. Now you mentioned Darlyn. I am assuming you mean Darlyn & Los Herederos, that group correct? I agree they have nice sounds, arrangements etc. and if Amarfis is the ace behind the sound then sure he could be an asset to H?ctor.

Thanks for the song recommendation when I have time I will listen to it.

LDG.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
Yeah, that's the group. The song was first a bachata by Frank Reyes, and then Amarfis did the merengue arrangement for Darlyn. Listen to it, and you'll hear an excellent song with nice, modern touches and an excellent interpretation by a very underestimated singer.

There are other people that are very talented, either arrangers or song writers, that don't get the attention and credit they deserve, because their own projects are not critically aclaimed. Examples 1 & 2: Amarfis Aquino & Julian "Oro Duro" Sarante. Most people would be very surprised if they saw a list of songs that either one of those two is personally responsible for.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Lesley D said:

LDG.
I think that he was on crack in the first place, to have signed such a lengthy contract.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
El Toro (Gerardo D?az ) vs. El Torito (H?ctor Acosta )

Here is the latest on Los Toros Band since H?ctor Acosta's departure. BTW I would like to see this band continue to succeed since their music has been on the market for so long. I think the challenge will be great for them knowing that the ace 'El Torito' is missing but that may force them to rise to the challenge.

Quote from Diario Libre 02/26/2006:

"Lamento que H?ctor Acosta haya abandonado Los Toros Band sin antes firmar un acuerdo que beneficiara a ambas partes, pero ?l decidi? irse, y le deseamos que triunfe con su agrupaci?n", dijo Gerardo D?az.

Los Toros Band empezar?n a promocionar una serie de canciones, ya grabadas, que H?ctor Acosta rechazaba interpretar o promover, seg?n Gerardo D?az. "La mayor?a de los ?xitos popularizados por Acosta, fueron temas seleccionados por m?, porque soy el art?fice del ?xito alcanzado por la banda en su historia", se?al? D?az.

For your reading pleasure:

Los Toros Band

-LDG

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The new album- "Sigo siendo yo"-

Well, I will admit I am late in acquiring this album by H?ctor Acosta which is very unusual for me but part of the problem was finding it. Every time I searched for the album online there was nothing listed so I decided to hold off for a while.

On the weekend I went dancing for the first time in months due to time limitations and a very busy schedule. Not only do I look forward to being among friends and great company but I also look forward to hearing the latest in salsa, merengue and bachata. The DJ was playing in fine form and I knew it was only a matter of time before he would play some merengue by H?ctor Acosta. Well, it must have been telepathy because as I thought about it while I was already dancing to a nice merengue set he played song # 1 Lo que tiene ella. Having not heard any songs from his new album (except La novia) it was an absolute treat!

Yesterday my mission was to go to the music store and buy the album and I did. All I will say is that H?ctor definitely has his future made if he continues to produce albums like this one now as "El Torito". The album is titled "Sigo siendo yo" and it's true. It's a gem and if anyone questioned his talent he has surpassed the expectations of the critics IMO. The album is wonderful and as H?ctor himself says it's "merengue de pura cepa". I highly recommend it to those who enjoy traditional merengue.

-LDG.