Dominican Soccer

NorthernSly

Feb 2, 2006
Is there any type of soccer/football league in the dominican, and anywhere near Playa Dorada where I'll be able to see a live game during Feb?

NorthernSly

Feb 2, 2006
I was thinking of actually going to a game, rather than watching one on TV, if there are any games to go to?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
NorthernSly said:
I was thinking of actually going to a game, rather than watching one on TV, if there are any games to go to?
Unless things have changed dramatically since I lived in the DR, the answer is no. Soccer is not big at all in the DR; baseball and basketball are. Some young kids play soccer in a loosely organized series of matches, but there is no true soccer league.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
There are several reasons why baseball and basketball are that much more popular here.

The obvious reason is that they are looking at the US and the big money to be earned in those 2 sports. For the Dominican youth it is seen as a chance to escape their poverty.

For baseball at least the second reason is also obvious. I have seen kids play baseball with everything. A ball made out of aluminum foil and a stick as a bat, etc...

Mind you, Carol Cross, I fully support your idea, and wish you all the luck. I think you will make a lot of kids here happy.