Moving for Love, Life and Desire for the Unknown

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
I just started perusing the various threads to get a sense of the life, times and travails of an expat living in the DR. As a child raised in the expat lifestyle - living everywhere from Norway, Nigeria, Indonesia, Singapore, UAE... I know a little bit about what to expect. However, I was usually with my family - who of course took care of the important details (ie... transportation and accomadations). That said, the love of my life (not to be overdramatic) is moving to the DR for Peace Corps in less then two weeks. He doesn't know where he's going to be located yet within DR, but one thing that is for certain is that if I want to be near him and see him on a somewhat frequent basis, I need to move to DR. Once there, all I need is a decent job doing something I enjoy (I have a bag of tricks, hopefully something matches up) and a place to live near good people.

I am currently living and working in Washington, DC - as a writer/account executive at a Communications/Ad agency. I have a background in media (public relations), journalism and advertising which I received a degree in at James Madison University in 2003) - but also have an extensive background working with children (from my part-time job while in college).

What can I offer people and what are my experiences... ah... I've done everything from a stint for Disney Channel in Dubai (promoter/photographer) in high school, to a radio announcer, tourism/hotel work, caterer, events promoter, and environmental educator.

(If I were talking to you I would have gushed this out in under 5 minutes, all with a smile of apology of course for the over enthusiasm.)

So, here I am. I am going to continue working to save up money for the next 6 months in the states. All my spare time, of course, would be spent looking for a job somewhere in the DR - anything that would play to my current talents. I'm not picky - I just need something that will allow me to grow as a person and place me with/around good people. Oh, and I seriously miss living overseas - agonizing adjustments and all!

When I return eventually to the US, I want to pursue grad school - and get my teaching certification so that I can eventually teach at International schools overseas. So if a teaching position (I have past pre-school experience) is open... let me know.

I apologize for the lengthy e-mail - my brain works a mile a minute and I often times have a bottleneck of thoughts! Any advice on jobs/possible openings, what I should do to prepare (health wise, amount to save up, living arrangements) and also any local schools that might be hiring pre-school (english speaking) teachers would be much appreciated! I am excited at this prospect, but I won't lie - a little nervous so I need all the solid advice I can get.
Muchos gracias and warm wishes in advance.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I would think with your background you could find a way to earn good money in the US using the internet. I encourage you to put your mind to work on that. You will have more flexibility to be with your boyfriend and earn more money than will from a job here.

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
?

I have a fairly decent job now, but I only get 3 weeks vacation a year. I am not that worried right now about making a lot of money (maybe I should be). I do, however, want to be near him and move overseas... Can you elaborate on your internet suggestion? Don't you think I could find a fairly decent job in the DR?

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
rellosk said:
Are you fluent in Spanish?

I am currently about to take an immersion course. I know the basics, but after this intensive learning course over the next few months I should be good to go. I speak intermediate level French as well.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ambre said:
Can you elaborate on your internet suggestion? Don't you think I could find a fairly decent job in the DR?

I don't know what your chances of finding a job are. But if the job is one place and your boyfriend is another, then this may be a problem even if you are successful.

Writing, journalism, perhaps even advertising are fields where the internet can be used to advantage. When my wife and I were living on a cruising sailboat, one of the ways I earned some money was writing articles and selling them to boating magazines. And I don't have your training and experience in the communcation field.

Since you say you have a lot of expat experience, you should know that the secret of making a go for many of us is being imaginative and creative about finding ways of making a living. You don't need a lot of money to get by, but you need some. The kind of expat life you are going to be leading is very different from what I think you are accustomed to. It sounds like your parents had a regular income from work tied to the US. If so, then you are soon going to find that is much different than being an expat who has to find a way to support himself.

The standard advice for people who write for advice on finding work is to be prepared to support yourself for 6 months while you are looking for something. So, unless you have a lot of savings that will support you for at least awhile, you better give a lot of thought to ways to get some income.

You must have a lot of contact where you are now. Talk with them about what you want to do and ask them for advice on things you might do that would be of interest/help to people there and generate some income for you.

There is nothing wrong with what you want to do. But if you really want to do it, you had better not wait for somebody to offer you a job. Put the creativity you use in advertising to work making work for yourself.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Agree with Ken. In addition, if you're in a larger town such as Sto. Dgo. there are several English as a Second Language schools where you should be able to find some work relatively easy. They are not going to pay as much as you may be used to seeing, but should at least provide some money as well as a good chance to network. You may want to search the forums here or use google. Here's one where I taught at one time, which is pretty well known in The DR.

ICDA

You said you don't know where your "love" will be located. This may be your biggest challenge, as availability of jobs will be pretty limited and pay will be very low in the smaller towns. If I'm correct most of peace corps volunteers are posted to remote locations, so that may be a challenge. Bottom line is go prepared to live for a while without a job...

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
thanks for the suggestions! I am not looking to live where he lives (this is not allowed anyways), I just am looking to live in a city (either Sto.Dgo or POP, etc) that has somewhat accessible transportation to other locations. He can always come to me. The frills of the rich aren't something I require (or have ever truly had), I just need the basics (and a lot of good books). I know it's a drawback to not being fluent in Spanish - but do they hire those who know basic Spanish? Also, how frequently do the resorts hire? I know my friend went to St.John to do a program where she does basic jobs around a resort for room and board....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If they have to deal with Spanish speaking customers the basic Spanish won't be a huge qualification frankly.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Multi-lingual people are a dime a dozen in the resort areas. Forget it.
You will have to locate in Santiago or Santo Domingo. Peace Corps does not usually locate their people in major cities.
You might find work at one of the companies in the Free Zones areound the country. English a must and Spanish not so needed if you are not going into Human Resources..
Look at the people that have free zone companies
Levi's
Gilden
SaraLee
etc etc etc

Seems to be a lot of work for a little cuddle every now and then.

HB :D:D:D

Sep 19, 2005
"All my spare time, of course, would be spent looking for a job somewhere in the DR"

I think the appropriate heading would be to eliminate the term SPARE... "all my time will be spent looking for a job somewhere in the DR"

best of luck.....

it would seem to me that there would be companies that could use employees who are bilingual and have knowledge in the companies field. Even if to help the current employees expand their skills from a different perspective... and the jobs it looks like you are qualified for , seem to fit that mold. marketing, advertising.....these fields are always looking for an edge to get their companies more contracts......

bob