Anything new on wind power

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It may be getting close to the time to get serious about our building in the DR. Is there anything new on wind power as an alternative power source. Where we are building there is a constant breeze and it would be nice to have nature help out. Has anyone installed a wind generator or augmentation system?

Bob K

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Bob K said:
It may be getting close to the time to get serious about our building in the DR. Is there anything new on wind power as an alternative power source. Where we are building there is a constant breeze and it would be nice to have nature help out. Has anyone installed a wind generator or augmentation system?

Bob K

If you ask me, wind power is a lot of hot air (just kidding ;-). My take is that wind power is an auxiliary power option for individual situations, however, the high cost of the technology, plus the lack of government incentives (tax breaks, selling surplus back to the grid, etc.) puts it beyond cost effectiveness as a national power solution.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I was thinking about individual situation, not national. Is it worth looking in to just for personal house use.

Bob K

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Bob K said:
I was thinking about individual situation, not national. Is it worth looking in to just for personal house use.

Bob K

Bob, from my back balcony I can see this small wind turbine atop one of the towering buildings next to Hotel Embajador. It's been in operation for at least two years (when I noticed it). Today it seems to be stalled, probably because there isen't even a breeze right now.

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=n3oevt

-

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Bob, I would suggest PMing Georgios. He's an expert on it with some track experience in the DR. FYI, check his long thread on the issue in the Environment Forum.

Regards,
Keith

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My take is this. They are expensive systems. The power it will generate is not constant. You need inverters and huge batteries to store energy for later use. You need to maintain the system and know how to economize the usage. You may not be able to turn on a/c and full sized fridge if you buy a little average wind powered system. I think these systems are designed for remote areas where there are no power lines. If these systems were so efficients, why don't we see them on all roof tops?
AZB

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
By looking at the pic I think this wind turbine is approx 1 kw.
The tower is very low in relation to the roof of this building.
The performance is reduced from turbulance caused by the shape
of the roof. Turbulance will result in abnormal operation with uneven
stresses on the rotor blades. As a result, the main rotor bearing will
fail before it reaches it's projected lifetime. In addition, excessive vibration & noise is produced due to wind cavitation. The remedy is to raise the
tower at least 10 meters above the roof or any other object/ tree canopy
within 300 meters.

Georgios.

G

gary short

Bob if you can get your hands on Nigel Calder's book titled Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual it explains the pros and cons of all alternative power sources in detail. Second edition.

G

gary short

AZB said:
My take is this. They are expensive systems. The power it will generate is not constant. You need inverters and huge batteries to store energy for later use. You need to maintain the system and know how to economize the usage. You may not be able to turn on a/c and full sized fridge if you buy a little average wind powered system. I think these systems are designed for remote areas where there are no power lines. If these systems were so efficients, why don't we see them on all roof tops?
AZB
Good point, 5-6 years down the road when your initial investment is starting to pay off you'll have to start replacing batteries and repairing components. If you have consistent wind however it may work out.

FrankFlorida

Feb 3, 2006
Looks like a small wind generator for 1 KW goes for approximate US$ 6,000 up. Not sure how strong and constant your winds are, but if you get 50% of 1KW over a year you would generate 4320 KW power - if you would buy the power for 0.14 US$ per KW you get US$ 604,90 wearth power per year.... 10 years running to get even... if no maintenance apply...
You might like to check this German page with some basic systems: http://www.oeko-energie.de/Windkraft.htm

G

gary short

FrankFlorida said:
Looks like a small wind generator for 1 KW goes for approximate US$ 6,000 up. Not sure how strong and constant your winds are, but if you get 50% of 1KW over a year you would generate 4320 KW power - if you would buy the power for 0.14 US$ per KW you get US$ 604,90 wearth power per year.... 10 years running to get even... if no maintenance apply...
You might like to check this German page with some basic systems: http://www.oeko-energie.de/Windkraft.htm
Wow I was way out of line. I thought you could get a wind generator for 1-1.5k.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I spoke with Richard at

http://www.grec-energy.com/index.html

I believe he said he had a 1KW system for $2K USD.

Tower was extra. Permenant magnent, Altenator (AC output), 2 meter diameter, 3 blades.

He is in the Cabrera / San Jaun area. ( North coast )

Seems reasonable, if you have height and wind.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
I agree with floridafrank;10/15 years to break even ;these wind generators are going up all over britain,though they are the larger ones owned by nationpower(has website on this).but the green team says it ruins the look of the enviroment which i have to agree,ref pictures of gt yarmouth sea front once a thriving holiday place for us brits,will post shortly.