cable car up the mt in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2005
What is the "normal" fee for taking the cable car up the mountain in POP?.

we are going to give that a try this coming trip. So I can tell when the guy is trying to rip me off. Id like to know what the fair price is

also is there more than one outfit that does it. the guy who we rented ATV's from last time says he would take us up.....his price was KINDA high on the ATV's but they were brand new and EVERYTHING worked....especially the brakes!... and they were fully automatic.....

thanks...bob

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
just go yourself and pay at the window. ignore all the hustlers trying to give you private tour unless you wanna learn about the flora and fauna up in the Botanical garden. Sorry I dont know the price but I heard they did some work up there (restaurant?) and maybe changed the price.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
thanks....got directions off the main drag?

bob
Simply head through Puerto Plata on the main road. When you are about a half mile past the monument in the road (the monument at Javilla Tours, not the circle) you will see a huge sign on the leftand a small sign on the right pointing up to the "Telefrico". It's hard to miss. Turn left and head up the road.

Sep 19, 2005
HOWMAR said:
Simply head through Puerto Plata on the main road.

from the east or from the west??????

because i dont remember a monument...i remember the circle..even though it is only a circle one way.

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
from the east or from the west??????

because i dont remember a monument...i remember the circle..even though it is only a circle one way.

bob

OK, lets say you are starting from the east side of Puerto Plata (i.e. Playa Dorado area). Head west towards town. Go halfway around the circle near the stadium and continue on the main road west. A few miles you will pass the main public hospital on the left. Continue west. In about a mile you will pass Javilla Tours bus station on the right and a monument in the center of the road. Continue straight another mile or so until you see the signs for the left turn for the Telefrico. Turn left and follow the road up the hill, You are there.

Sep 19, 2005
ok...........great directions.......but it leads me to confusion some what..because!!!!

when I went riding the ATVs we went about 1/3 the way up the mountain, on these dirt back roads to a resturant-bar to have a break....directly above us was the top of A mountain. And the guy asked if we wanted to take a cable car up to the top some time....now looking down the mountain we had a great view of the area all around the Play Dorado complex. DIRECTLY towards the water in front of us. We were at least a mile or more , maybe as much as 2 or 3 miles from the water at that point.

that said , your directions seems to take me way west of there..

is it that the cable car comes up the back side???? and the way to the base is as you described?..

thanks for the help

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
ok...........great directions.......but it leads me to confusion some what..because!!!!

when I went riding the ATVs we went about 1/3 the way up the mountain, on these dirt back roads to a resturant-bar to have a break....directly above us was the top of A mountain. And the guy asked if we wanted to take a cable car up to the top some time....now looking down the mountain we had a great view of the area all around the Play Dorado complex. DIRECTLY towards the water in front of us. We were at least a mile or more , maybe as much as 2 or 3 miles from the water at that point.

that said , your directions seems to take me way west of there..

is it that the cable car comes up the back side???? and the way to the base is as you described?..

thanks for the help

bob
You're basically correct. The cable car is on the west side of the mountain. The ocean is directly north of the mountain. Play Dorada is north-east of the mountain.

Sep 19, 2005
thank you for the info......as far as the price... I dont think it is worth the effort to haggle between 200 or 100 pesos... thats me personally

save some sun for me!!!!!!

bob

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
bob, would you be kind enough to share your experience once you've had it. I was thinking about doing the trip myself, but wanted to speak with someone first to see whether or not it's worth it. I would imagine the view alone is worth the trip, but the rest.........

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The experience of being locked up inside a swinging box suspended hundreds of feet up in the air (when the power goes out) is next to none. LOL....its worth the adventure.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Here is a video clip shot on the teleferico in puerto plata. It was fun and something you should do once. I am thinking once is enough though.

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/videopages/teleferico.html

Try to go on a clear day because as you can see from the video the top of the mountain can be cloud covered somewhat obscuring the great view.

I could have sworn I read that they were replacing the cable on the teleferico? Is that completed already?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What if I didn't want to take the cable car and just drive up to the top? How is that?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Bob, I went up the cable car in July and trust me, it is worth it. Actually, when we got to the top, we got lost on the maze of trails for at least an hour! Someone paid for my ticket but I believe the tickets were around 100 pesos each. Its definately a good way to have an inexpensive day, see some beautiful views and get some exercise. I would like to go again next time I am on the north coast and have a free afternoon. Enjoy!

Here are some pics from that day..

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41346&highlight=larry+cable
Larry

blondytomato

Oct 19, 2005
Yes i agree it is well worth a visit. I enjoyed my trip there would i go back again ......probably not but thats only because there are so many other parts of the island i have yet to explore.

Sep 19, 2005
thanks, guys....I will let you know what i think If we go....I think the cloud cover and weather will be the deciding factor.....bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
rafael said:
Here is a video clip shot on the teleferico in puerto plata. It was fun and something you should do once. I am thinking once is enough though.

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/videopages/teleferico.html
Great professional looking video!

rafael said:
I could have sworn I read that they were replacing the cable on the teleferico? Is that completed already?
When I was there in early November, they were still working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.