Moving to DR - more downs than ups?

FrankFlorida

Feb 3, 2006
Yesterday was my first time studding the DR1 web pages.
My intensions are to find out if DR could be a second or even a new home for my family.
I vacationed in DR only once and that is 10 years ago.
I have to admit that reading the DR1 web pages kind of turn my idea more down than up.
Number one down spot seams to be the safety in general. But I found many other concerns.
?Better to get a home with bars on all windows / better to not get & drive a motorcycle / better not to wear the usual good clothing?s, a wallet or a watch?. / you can or should get a night guard for your home if you do not life in a protected condo association ? / you should not reliable on emergency medical care or an ambulance / you better stay away from tourist spots? and their large number of often drunken expats? In other areas you are lost anyway without Spanish or friends? / power service is costly but not continuously provided / smiling street Dominicans only want your best?. your money? / ?better characters do not relate with you if you are in a mixed partnership / do not park a car unprotected without extra cautions / make your own food at home because restaurants are costly and serve often low quality / streets are littered with trash because to many people just do not care for keeping a clean surrounding / officials, businesses and police are often corrupt?

Now, what are the good things left? You can buy a beautiful house with a nice view for a relatively low price ? but being trapped behind bars and safety guards? You can get a full time maid service for less than your power bill? You have beautiful beaches but you should not expect that your clothings are at the same spot where you took them off for a swim? Carefully selected I could find some nice people and good friends ? does this not apply for the all the world? Living in DR is slower and less stressfully? Meaning lie in your guarded hammock and enjoy the warm, topical breeze while the maid (slave) is cooking you a dinner? Working in DR cannot be a reason since the salary is a joke ? unless you work for humanity or idealistic reasons.
Well, what are the real reasons to move as an young US middle class family to DR other than being bored with first world life and looking for a temporary adventure or better called ?a vacation??

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Buy a plane ticket and find out. Do you think the posts you have read are a scientific sample of life for the thousands of expats who live here? Common sense will tell you that only the extremes get posted. I don't know many who live here who made that decision from afar.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Most people are in it for the long haul.

FrankFlorida said:
Yesterday was my first time studding the DR1 web pages.
My intensions are to find out if DR could be a second or even a new home for my family.
I vacationed in DR only once and that is 10 years ago.
I have to admit that reading the DR1 web pages kind of turn my idea more down than up.
Number one down spot seams to be the safety in general. But I found many other concerns.
?Better to get a home with bars on all windows / better to not get & drive a motorcycle / better not to wear the usual good clothing?s, a wallet or a watch?. / you can or should get a night guard for your home if you do not life in a protected condo association ? / you should not reliable on emergency medical care or an ambulance / you better stay away from tourist spots? and their large number of often drunken expats? In other areas you are lost anyway without Spanish or friends? / power service is costly but not continuously provided / smiling street Dominicans only want your best?. your money? / ?better characters do not relate with you if you are in a mixed partnership / do not park a car unprotected without extra cautions / make your own food at home because restaurants are costly and serve often low quality / streets are littered with trash because to many people just do not care for keeping a clean surrounding / officials, businesses and police are often corrupt?

Now, what are the good things left? You can buy a beautiful house with a nice view for a relatively low price ? but being trapped behind bars and safety guards? You can get a full time maid service for less than your power bill? You have beautiful beaches but you should not expect that your clothings are at the same spot where you took them off for a swim? Carefully selected I could find some nice people and good friends ? does this not apply for the all the world? Living in DR is slower and less stressfully? Meaning lie in your guarded hammock and enjoy the warm, topical breeze while the maid (slave) is cooking you a dinner? Working in DR cannot be a reason since the salary is a joke ? unless you work for humanity or idealistic reasons.
Well, what are the real reasons to move as an young US middle class family to DR other than being bored with first world life and looking for a temporary adventure or better called ?a vacation??

And after a period of time they learn the ropes and are comfortable with that lifestyle. I guess you also have to understand they do not have the luxury of Florida weather... because some reside up North half a year or was just sick of the weather and live there permanently now. And believe me housing is not cheap there to live in a nice community.

I feel the same way you do as far as I can't not understand.... but I guess it just takes time of living there. To me we have the best of both worlds in mostly nice weather any ability to make a lot of money without always looking over your back. I never locked my house in 15 years... I don't even know where the key is, and don't even live there fully furnished no problems.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, a lot depends on why you would want to live here in the first place.
I do not have a guard. I do have "rejas" on most of my windows. My place is a joke as far as defense against a crook is concerned. I do have a few dogs that are good watchdogs, and I just might buy a really good one in a year or so.
I do have inverter power for the computer and a larger than needed 20 kw standby generator. FYI: Since 10 July of 2004, we have lost power for about 1500 hours, ie the genset has about 1500 hours on it.

I do have what is called here, "servicio" . A very nice elderly lady and her daughter do the cooking and cleaning. My wife and I both are very busy and the only way we could afford to do what we have done all our lives is to have what is called "maid service" in the States. We also have a wonderful jack-of-all-trades that comes here on weekends. This allows us to live comfortably. Today, not many people can afford to have all of this help, or find it, even. This, in turn puts more pressure on the family unit..

Regarding safety issues outside of the home. Petty thievery is everywhere. There are many parts of most cities where you won't wear your gold or your Patek Philippe....why should the DR be any different?

That said, most people go to the beach in groups, and there is always someone with your "things."

Nope, your downs are not entirely valid. Look at why you want to come here a bit more closely.

HB :D

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
It's about location

Hillbilly said:
Well, a lot depends on why you would want to live here in the first place.
I do not have a guard. I do have "rejas" on most of my windows. My place is a joke as far as defense against a crook is concerned. I do have a few dogs that are good watchdogs, and I just might buy a really good one in a year or so.
I do have inverter power for the computer and a larger than needed 20 kw standby generator. FYI: Since 10 July of 2004, we have lost power for about 1500 hours, ie the genset has about 1500 hours on it.

I do have what is called here, "servicio" . A very nice elderly lady and her daughter do the cooking and cleaning. My wife and I both are very busy and the only way we could afford to do what we have done all our lives is to have what is called "maid service" in the States. We also have a wonderful jack-of-all-trades that comes here on weekends. This allows us to live comfortably. Today, not many people can afford to have all of this help, or find it, even. This, in turn puts more pressure on the family unit..

Regarding safety issues outside of the home. Petty thievery is everywhere. There are many parts of most cities where you won't wear your gold or your Patek Philippe....why should the DR be any different?

That said, most people go to the beach in groups, and there is always someone with your "things."

Nope, your downs are not entirely valid. Look at why you want to come here a bit more closely.

HB :D

Your WIFE was intelligent & YOU fortunate enough to buy many years ago in an upscale neighborhood for peanuts. :nervous:

All kidding aside I have never felt insecure in traveling around in terms of buses, taxis, motorcycles, or even walking 10 blocks at midnight to some nightclub from AHI-BAR down back streets. By me never seeing any corruption... could be a major problem, by letting my guard down.

As far as your location and security.... I think you have enough as far as vehicles coming and going, dogs, lights on, plus what security you do have.

BTW .... your best security is that doorbell upstairs because it will wake the dead.:nervous: :nervous:

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Well let me tell you that the biggest down in DR is that the money is not as abundant as it is in the USA. It you want a comfortable lifestyle to the standard of the USA,and you don't want to live like a poor person or a survivor, You would have to go there with a lot of money. Salaries are low and goods and some services can be expensive. If you buy a house and a car down there cash and have 3-4 million pesos frozen in CD you should be okay.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Don't make those stupid lists of pros and cons. If You are not sure that you want to move here, just don't.