All times favorites!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For those of you who listen to the old and different genres of Dominican music, which particular old song do you like best?

Why?

-NALs

May 12, 2005
I have recently "discovered" some old school bachata and have taken a liking to leonardo paniagua. I can't say there is one particular song of his i like more than any other.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
The good old days!!

NALs said:
For those of you who listen to the old and different genres of Dominican music, which particular old song do you like best?

Why?

-NALs
Do you remember that Orquesta that used to arrange and play for Trujillo, named "Orquesta Santa Cecilia", well, if I am not mistaken, they had an album or song named "Salve San Cristobal" that my father used to play all the time. I loved all the songs on that LP.

I remember being about 5 or 6 and I used to love their suave merengues. I purchased the LP about 20 years ago and a friend "borrowed it" and never returned it.

Also, I used to love the "Diplomaticos De Haiti" merengues.

Also, the old Perico Ripiao

Crap, I even liked the old Rafael Solano's Mangulinas.

Do you remember "Los Algodones" by Rafael Solano?. Great merengue!.

Now, about which song I prefer, boy, there are just way too many. I can name a whole bunch from Johnny Ventura, Orquesta Santa Cecilia, Orquesta San Rafael (the other Trujillo orquesta), El Cieguito de Nagua, Ramon Leonardo, Omar Franco, Nini Caffaro, Lope Balaguer, Fernando Casado and many others.

Now, a little trivia for you and whomever wants to "play", what genre was Wilfrido Vargas first album?. The winner, within 30 minutes, will get 10 Presidentes from me and will be sent, via Metro or Caribe tour to your hometown!.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay mi madre!

Hipocrito Mejia said:
Damm Miguel, you're old! :rambo:
Come on, "calvito" Mejia, I will be 44(?) soon.

The thing is that I lived in the DR until I was about 11 and after relocating to the US, my mom never let us forget about our culture and people!.

The wonders that some books, newspapers and old stories from the "old country" can do for a person!. My friends and family tells me that I have a "computer for a brain". Pero solo para lo que me conviene, hehehe.

Jan 5, 2006
Just busting your chops Miguel!

I'm a few years younger than you, but I also know and remember all those people that you mentioned. A lot of legendary people among that bunch.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
miguel said:
Now, a little trivia for you and whomever wants to "play", what genre was Wilfrido Vargas first album?. The winner, within 30 minutes, will get 10 Presidentes from me and will be sent, via Metro or Caribe tour to your hometown!.

I would guess Salsa...The farthest I remember hearing one of Wilfrido's hits was "El Jarro Pichao" and "El Pajaro Choui".

I'm a huge fan of older Dominican music. I have a large Mp3 collection of merengues from the 80's, bachata from that time too and perico ripiao (i.e. Tatico Henriquez).

Some of the ones I like are Aramis Camilo y la Organizacion Secreta, Bonny Cepeda, Dionis Fernandez, La Coco Band, El viejo Cuco, La Artilleria, La Gran Manzana, Jossie Esteban, Anibal Bravo, Tony Seval, Wifrido Vargas, Some of Johnny Ventura stuff, Conjunto Quisqueya, Carlos David, Jochy Hernandez, Ray Polanco, El Zafiro, Sandy Reyes (Listen to "Un Pie aqui y otro alla" when you're homesick and you'll know what I mean), Anibal Bravo, etc...

For Bachata, I grew up with Eladio Romero Santos, Luis Segura (one of the best ever I think), Leonardo Paniagua, Ramon Cordero, Marino Perez, Aridia Ventura (I can't find her music in Limewire)...

Perico Ripiao: Guandulito, Tatico, La vieja Fefa, Maria Diaz, etc...

In this era of reggeatton is nice to listen to this stuff from time to time...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suarezn said:
I would guess Salsa...The farthest I remember hearing one of Wilfrido's hits was "El Jarro Pichao" and "El Pajaro Choui".

I'm a huge fan of older Dominican music. I have a large Mp3 collection of merengues from the 80's, bachata from that time too and perico ripiao (i.e. Tatico Henriquez).

Some of the ones I like are Aramis Camilo y la Organizacion Secreta, Bonny Cepeda, Dionis Fernandez, La Coco Band, El viejo Cuco, La Artilleria, La Gran Manzana, Jossie Esteban, Anibal Bravo, Tony Seval, Wifrido Vargas, Some of Johnny Ventura stuff, Conjunto Quisqueya, Carlos David, Jochy Hernandez, Ray Polanco, El Zafiro, Sandy Reyes (Listen to "Un Pie aqui y otro alla" when you're homesick and you'll know what I mean), Anibal Bravo, etc...

For Bachata, I grew up with Eladio Romero Santos, Luis Segura (one of the best ever I think), Leonardo Paniagua, Ramon Cordero, Marino Perez, Aridia Ventura (I can't find her music in Limewire)...

Perico Ripiao: Guandulito, Tatico, La vieja Fefa, Maria Diaz, etc...

In this era of reggeatton is nice to listen to this stuff from time to time...
No beer for you!. It was a instrumental merengue LP!.

I do, also, have a long collection of LP's from the great '80's.

One of my favorite was Aramis Camilo. Los Kentos were very good also. I also remember when Alex Bueno paired with Carlos David and formed the "ABCD Del Sabor". Los Hijos Del Rey, with Fernadito, Raulin Rosendo and Bonny Cepeda were also very good. I remember dancing my axx-off with Dionis Fernandez Y El Equipo, Benny Sadel (after he left La Organizacion Secreta), Milly, Jocelyn Y Los Vecinos, Fausto Rey, La Gran Manzana, The New York Band, Koki Acosta, Belkis Concepcion, Las Chicas Del Can, Richie Ricardo and so many that I can't recall them all.

The '80's. Great times.

Tell me something, was Eladio Romero Santos the guy who used to play a mean merengue with his guitar?.

Btw, any reason why NAls is not posting on his own thread?

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Miguel...

did you mean "Los Kentons"? If so, I was a very good friend of one of the members. His name was Johnny and we dated two sisters when we lived in "The Heights". Btw, I still have Johnny Ventura, Wilfrido Vargas, Johnny Pacheco, El Gran Combo, Mongo Santamaria, Ray Barretto and many others in their original LP's. I plan to digitize them so I can enjoy them again without damaging the grooves. I also have some others that predate both of us.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

amy2761 said:
I've recently started listening to Leonardo Favio, interesting ... I like 'La Cita' best :D

Stay well,
Amy
we are "talking" dominican music/songs.

But, I must tell you that Argentinian Leonardo Favio is one of my favorites. Every time I play/hear "La foto de carnet", it takes me back to great memories. He had many great hits.

2dlight:

Yes, I meant "Los Kentons". The same ones that SOME of the members were "tuti frutis", but that's another thread, LOL.

Last edited:

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
miguel said:
Amy, Amy, Amy. I know that you have a crush on me, which makes you either insane or blind, but we are "talking" dominican music/songs.

But, I must tell you that Argentinian Leonardo Favio is one of my favorites. Every time I play/hear "La foto de carnet", it takes me back to great memories. He had many great hits.

2dlight:

Yes, I meant "Los Kentons". The same ones that SOME of the members were "tuti frutis", but that's another thread, LOL.

You bring the wine and I'll bring the cheese! :)

Miguel, crush aside for now, good music is just that! Good Music!

Unfortunately I'm not old enough to have been around when these songs came out (and happened to live on a different continent) so I don't have the nostalgic memories associated with them but listening, I get a real 'feel' for the essenece of what makes this country so wonderful. With the older musicians, the music transports you back in time to a certain degree - I'm loving it! :D

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. do many people on the board play instruments? We used to have a monthly get-together of musicians and friends, some played, some sang and some came to appreciate ... may be an interesting gathering if we got some DR1 musicians together hu?

Santo

Apr 30, 2007
Bueno muchachos, por que no mencionan "La chiva blanca", Anibal de Pena, Nini Caffaro, luis segura o Jose Manuel Calderon? Esa era la musica. Es que son muy jovenes?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Y quien es ese muerto?....

Bueno muchachos, por que no mencionan "La chiva blanca", Anibal de Pena, Nini Caffaro, luis segura o Jose Manuel Calderon? Esa era la musica. Es que son muy jovenes?
Jose Manuel Calderon?. Yo creo que a ese no lo conoce ni su papa', hahaha!.

No soy un jovencito pero tampoco soy de la epoca pre-historica.

Se quien es Anibal De Pena y mi cancion favorita de el es "Mi debilidad". Se quienes son todos los que mencionaste. Pero:

Se te olvido otros "de ayer" como Lope Balaguer, Ramon Leonardo, Camboy Estevez, Fausto Rey, Fernando Casado, Rhina Ramirez, entre otros......